X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If an outsider may make a small contribution... there's Jarvis Lorry from 'A Tale of Two Cities'and someone Jarvis wrote [I think] 'The Battle Hymn of the Republic'. I'll get my coat too, sure it's not right.

Comment

salympap, please feel free to contribute! Everyone is welcome

And then of course there is The Hogwart's Hymn by Jarvis Cocker! But we must not forget the Robert ,,,, it's the word 'incidentally' that confuses me.

Edit: Will await rubbra's return and his comments before posting any more thoughts on this rather baffling one.
      Last edited by Guest; 22-03-11, 17:08.

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        If an outsider may make a small contribution...
        salymap,

You may be on to something...

And there are no outsiders here! Or, if you like, we are all outsiders, a smallish band of misfit regulars and irregulars alike, languishing on the fringes of Platform 3...

Comment

If an outsider may make a small contribution... there's Jarvis Lorry from 'A Tale of Two Cities'and someone Jarvis wrote [I think] 'The Battle Hymn of the Republic'. I'll get my coat too, sure it's not right.
          Salymap! Welcome aboard! That sounds a very convincing pair of thoughts based on my 'Jarvis' chunterings.

We await the question-setter's observations with keen anticipation...
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Some industrial-strength thinking going on here - that's what I like to see! (That's not a clue, btw)

Not Jarvis, I'm afraid, nor anything Dickensian. We're in the 20th century as far as our businessman goes.

The hymn is American, however, although it is the tune rather than the words that are important, and Caliban is on the right lines with the father and son...

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
              Caliban is on the right lines with the father and son...
              Well done Caliban! Now all you have to do is find the linking J But you are not saying it's Kleiber but a musical father/son connection involved in music? Seriously, this has all kept us puzzled, so we must all try again to fit the pieces together.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                But you are not saying it's Kleiber but a musical father/son connection involved in music?
                and Caliban has, as it happens, identified the involvement

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                  and Caliban has, as it happens, identified the involvement
                  Forgive me, I must have been having a bit of a blonde moment there rubbra! My tentative answer involved Elton John and The Bible and John Brown's Body But as Tapiola describes us as a band of misfits and irregulars ....

Comment

Policemen used to be called 'Robert' after Robert Peel and they go to incidents. I am already out of my
                    depth.

Comment

Policemen used to be called 'Robert' after Robert Peel and they go to incidents. I am already out of my depth.
                      salymap, then join us all thrown into the deep end and not knowing where we are going!!

Comment

Mariss Jansons's father was a conductor

Comment

Originally posted by hercule View Post
                          ........and Keith Jarrett has a son who is a pianist amazing the things you learn thanks to rubbers!

Comment

Originally posted by hercule View Post
                            I'm glad to see someone here hasn't completely lost the plot...

Yes, Hercule (nice to see you again, btw) I'm afraid it's not Jansons, but you're getting very warm now.

Let's think about our businessman: fictitious doesn't necessarily mean from a novel, and the 'incidental' element should give you both a musical and literary clue.

Comment

Zubin Mehta's father was a conductor
                              as was Leonard Slatkin's

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                ........and Keith Jarrett has a son who is a pianist amazing the things you learn thanks to rubbers!
                                ...and Keith himself was no mean sax player as well, as can be heard on El Juicio (The Judgment).

(That's not another clue, just a fancy-that)

Comment

Working...
                                X