X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also I never knew he performed the Koln concert on the wrong and old, untuned piano!

Comment

.......and the score for Judgement Day was composed by Brad Fiedel who, sadly, Wikipedia won't let me confuse with Brad Friedel!
      Last edited by antongould; 22-03-11, 20:04. Reason: Idiot I am

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        Also I never knew he performed the Koln concert on the wrong and old, untuned piano!
        Probably why it sounds so rich, in a La Monte Young-ey kind of way. Funnily enough, Fiona Talkington was playing the first track of Koln on her request program last Sunday as Mrs R and I got in the car after our walk. Mrs R, to give her credit, correctly identified it before me. :cool2:
        Last edited by Guest; 22-03-11, 20:37. Reason: corrected spelling of La Monte

Comment

Yes that's what brought Jarrett back to me that and a search for a phantom J!

Comment

Time to recap and, hopefully, conclude this tonight. So far we have:

- a father and son, both conductors, but not Jaarvi or Jansons, or anyone else without the essential J. How many more can there be...?

- an American hymn tune;

- a 20th century literary work about the life of a businessman called Robert with incidental music.

Comment

Philippe Jordan is the son of conductor Armin Jordan!

Comment

Philippe Jordan is the son of conductor Armin Jordan!
                Anton, I do believe you're on the verge...

As the actress said, can you finish it off?

Comment

Originally posted by hercule View Post
                  Mariss Jansons's father was a conductor
                  Just back from dinner and I have to say: yes! he was! Arvid Jansons - I went to see him conducting Rachmaninov's Second with the Leningrad Phil (as they then were) in 1982 in Leningrad! One of my most treasured musical memories!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                    Anton, I do believe you're on the verge...
                    Vicar! Vicar! Anton's on the verger...!!

I am now going to concentrate.

Comment

Johnson Over Jordan was a play by the Bard of Bradford with a score by Britten! This is a struggle!
                      Last edited by antongould; 23-03-11, 00:16. Reason: Daft

Comment

Johnson Over Jordan was a play by the Bard of Bradford with a score by Britten! This is a struggle!
                        ...in which businessman Robert Johnson looks back over his life, written by J B Priestley with incidental music by Lord Britten of Aldeburgh. Yes, keep going!

Comment

........and Jordan was a US hymn tune by William Billings!?

Comment

I thought I knew Britten pretty well but never even heard of that!

Comment

........and Jordan was a US hymn tune by William Billings!?
                              America's equivalent to Samuel Wesley, I would go as far to venture. Check out this groovy performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccSpKKrayhQ

Congratulations Anton, a full house.

J for Jordan and K for you.

I'm only sorry I didn't get to use my "Twin Peaks meets Silicon Valley" clue

Comment

Is it just me, rubbers, or was your J particularly obscure, even by the standards of this thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X