Clear All

how are we getting on ?

Comment

Ah, vox

Trevor Wishart developed the Vox cycle.

Naylor Vox Dicentis

Organ stop Vox

and guessing

George Harrison played a Vox amplifier ? He used a variety of Gretsch guitars, including a Gretsch Duo Jet - his first Gretsch, which he bought in 1961 second hand off a sailor in Liverpool

Comment

well done, resurrection, I can't deny it to you

I hand in mind the organ stop Vox Humana [but I'm sure others are available] and George Enescu and his Vox Maris

indeed Vox Dicentis and the Vox Cycle

can you waylay us with a W ?

Comment

Oh damn! My alphabet soup got mixed up and I had an X already in anticipation that I might have solved your V !

Comment

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
            Oh damn! My alphabet soup got mixed up

Been there, got the t-shirt. I recall setting a J after getting a K, to the general derision of all in attendance At least you realised in time, RM
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
              I had an X already in anticipation that I might have solved your V !

well you have solved my V, so that's alright then

let's have an X

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                All present and correct mercs but I have to point out you were 3 minutes late I did say 02.47
                Would have been a nice little result had you nipped down Bill Hill's and put a tenner on 2.45 - 2.50 for mercia's appearance!

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Back to the Conference for the delegate from Lincoln's Inn?
                No indeed... 'twas Saturday only, fortunately. I woke up at 'work time' then retired again for some lazy CD Review listening
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

A W to link a piano, a pianist, a banned opera and a blasphemer, please.

Comment

I came up with Weill for having a banned opera and, I think he could be linked to blasphemy, but got no further than that. Sorry. But I did look at it and have a think!

Comment

The nationalities involved (but in no particular order) are an American Hungaro-czech, a Pole and two Germans.

EDIT: My apologies...looks like bad writing misled me for the first nationality and shifting national boundaries/new countries being 'born'. Easiest to say that he was born in Austria.
                      Last edited by Guest; 27-01-13, 17:55.

Comment

Piano...bit of a mongrel but the 'real' ones are German

Polish pianist ..

Composer born in Austria

The banned opera written by a German (who's birthplace is the same as the piano!)

Comment

I think when I first looked I came up with a couple of Wilhelms including the piano company Wilhelm Schimmel

not much time to research at the moment ................

Comment

now I find a Polish pianist called Juliusz Wertheim, and a piano company called Wertheim, oh bother they're Australian

is the W the surname of the pianist and composer ?

you wouldn't think there were that many piano manufacturers beginning with W
                            Last edited by mercia; 27-01-13, 19:38.

Comment

was this opera banned by the nasty nazies or somebody else ?

oh well, at least I'm trying

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                was this opera banned by the nasty nazies or somebody else ?

oh well, at least I'm trying
                                I've been scooting down this avenue with scant success on & off, mercs

Comment

Working...
                                X