This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post

‘The Fiery Angel; or, a True Story in which is related of the Devil, not once but often appearing in the Image of a Spirit of Light to a Maiden and seducing her to Various and Many Sinful Deeds, of Ungodly Practices of Magic, Alchymy, Astrology, the Cabalistical Sciences and Necromancy, of the Trial of the Said Maiden under the Presidency of His Eminence the Archbishop of Trier, as well as of Encounters and Discourses with the Knight and thrice Doctor Agrippa of Nettesheim, and with Doctor Faustus, composed by an Eyewitness’

Seriously?

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    I thought you had written Calibanistical!

Caliban is everywhere...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
      Yes! Well done...our posts crossed.

It is indeed the Fiery Angel or to give it the name that most people know it by...

‘The Fiery Angel; or, a True Story in which is related of the Devil, not once but often appearing in the Image of a Spirit of Light to a Maiden and seducing her to Various and Many Sinful Deeds, of Ungodly Practices of Magic, Alchymy, Astrology, the Cabalistical Sciences and Necromancy, of the Trial of the Said Maiden under the Presidency of His Eminence the Archbishop of Trier, as well as of Encounters and Discourses with the Knight and thrice Doctor Agrippa of Nettesheim, and with Doctor Faustus, composed by an Eyewitness’
      ...and why West Side Story?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        ...and why West Side Story?
        West Side Story = Romeo & Juliet = a work by Prokofiev
        citrus fruit = oranges = a work by Prokofiev (Love of ......)
        Cinderella = a work by Prokofiev

I think RM was trying to tell us we were looking for another Prokofiev work
        Last edited by mercia; 31-01-13, 12:37.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          a grandson of Rugby's Arnold, a successor to Langdon Colborne and "A Tenderfoot in Colorado[/B]"[/COLOR]

Aldous Huxley was his great grandson.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Aldous Huxley was his great grandson.
            indeed Huxley's mother was an Arnold

and I am seeking a grandson [of Rugby's Thomas Arnold] also with surname Arnold [a cousin, I assume, of Huxley's mother]
            Last edited by mercia; 31-01-13, 12:44. Reason: clarification from total muddle

Comment

if you don't like grandson of Rugby's Arnold as a clue, how about son of Matthew Arnold

Comment

F
                Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Veritably one of those that when you know the answer, you want to repeatedly!
                I entirely agree! A perfect AA puzzle: fiendishly difficult to crack, perfectly obvious when you know the answer - bravissimo, ResMan!
                Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 31-01-13, 17:41.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  I entirely agree! A perfect AA puzzle: fiendishly difficult to crack, perfectly obvious when you know the answer - bravissimo, ResMan!
                  Thank you all very much. I enjoyed setting it, I have to confess.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    an eeeasy E to connect

a grandson of Rugby's Arnold, a successor to Langdon Colborne and "A Tenderfoot in Colorado
                    "

caliban probably won't need to google any of that
                    your confidence is touching - but I must beg to say: au contraire!

Haven't been able to google all day, and consequently have made no progress!!

PS never heard of Mr Colborne or 'A Tenderfoot in Colorado'

Comment

Is it something to do with 'Ereford Cathedral?

Because someone called Townshend wrote 'A Tenderfoot in Colorado' and that was also the name of Mr Colborne's predecessor as organist at 'Ereford.

Other than the latter, however, I can't at the moment join the dots and make an E....

Comment

someone called Townshend wrote 'A Tenderfoot in Colorado'
                        indeed he did - I wonder what his initials were

if you remember I was looking for a successor to Mr Colborne rather than a predecessor

[I don't think the Townshend who preceeded Colborne at Hereford is the same Townshend who wrote about the tenderfoot]

I wouldn't like you to get your initials in a twist

Comment

I think, (I don't really know) that the name Edward comes into this? I'm off out this evening and offline probably until the morning but Cali, it's successor, not predecessor in the clue as regards 'Ereford I think?

Comment

Yes I know it's successor we're after... I was merely retailing the curious fact of the "Townshend" coincidence involving Mr C's predecessor... Which only goes to show I'm not much closer to answering the question!

Comment

Yes I know it's successor we're after... I was merely retailing the curious fact of the "Townshend" coincidence involving Mr C's predecessor... Which only goes to show I'm not much closer to answering the question!
                              OK, don't get testy with me in pointing out what I thought was a pretty basic error on your part!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                I think, (I don't really know) that the name Edward comes into this?
                                indeed it does

my three gentlemen lent their initials to Edward

Comment

Working...
                                X