X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good Flay - I thought that a most appropriate clue.

Some of those Anglo Saxons Riddles were quite hairy - I hope I don't get censored for quoting one:

Riddle 25[2][edit] Old EnglishIc eom wunderlicu wiht wifum on hyhte neahbuendum nyt; nægum sceþþe burgsittendra nymthe bonan anum. Staþol min is steapheah stonde ic on bedde neoðan ruh nathwær. Neþeð hwilum ful cyrtenu ceorles dohtor modwlonc meowle þæt heo on mec gripe ræseð mec on reodne reafath min heafod fegeð mec on fæsten. Feleþ sona mines gemotes seo þe mec nearwað wif wundenlocc. Wæt bið þæt eage.

[edit] Modern English: I am a wondrous creature for women in expectation, a service for neighbors. I harm none of the citizens except my slayer alone. My stem is erect, I stand up in bed, hairy somewhere down below. A very comely peasant's daughter, dares sometimes, proud maiden, that she grips at me, attacks me in my redness, plunders my head, confines me in a stronghold, feels my encounter directly, woman with braided hair. Wet be that eye.

Answer: Onion

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
      Answer: Onion
      Phew, you had me wondering there...

An excellent K, thank you, Odders.
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I'm not sure if mercs wants to claim the L. He's not due to make an appearance for another two hours or so...

Shall I give you L instead? This L is common to the three: tinnitus, a dance, and love from one of the fairer sex.

p.s. fair = better looking, but not necessarily even-handed
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
            This L is common to the three: tinnitus, a dance, and love from one of the fairer sex.
            Hmm, twelve hours plus and no nibbles. Were you thinking out Loud, Flay?

(If not, perhaps a booster cluelette might be in order?)

p.s. fair = better looking, but not necessarily even-handed
            Whole can of worms with this clarification, Flay; I ain't even going there!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Tarnation! Ferney got in first and spoilt my segue...

Honest, the thinking time today has allowed has gotten me nowhere so far...
              Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 05-02-13, 15:13.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Were you thinking out Loud, Flay?

(If not, perhaps a booster cluelette might be in order?)
                Not aLoud - mind you tinnitus can be loud to a suffering composer...

Whole can of worms with this clarification, Flay; I ain't even going there!
                Nor would I dare if she were here just now, but she ain't (however she is currently speeding home from Ultima Thule )
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

(however she is currently speeding home from Ultima Thule )

(Yes I know if I put in half the effort finding solutions as I do finding images, we'd be a lot further forward...

...but I'm just in a mood.... )
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Pay attention there at the back and concentrate on your associating!!! (But how right you are... )

So, for those who have noticed , I have given a clue... The composer of one work had tinnitus (I am looking for 3 works with a common L word).
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

A major tinnitus apparently
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

A major tinnitus apparently
                        <doh> Life?

Comment

<doh> Life?
                          Indeed, Life in all its forms. Care to expand, or shall we string it out a little longer?
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Smetana's Second String Quartet is subtitled From My Life and is a Musical representation of autobiographical events, including, in the Finale, a high harmonic E, representing the tinnitus that afflicted him towards the end of his life).
                            The Dance might be Josef Strauss' waltz, "My Life is One of Joy and Love"

... stuck on the pretty woman bit ...

Comment

Smetana's Second String Quartet is subtitled From My Life and is a Musical representation of autobiographical events, including, in the Finale, a high harmonic E, representing the tinnitus that afflicted him towards the end of his life).
                              The Dance might be Josef Strauss' waltz, "My Life is One of Joy and Love"

... stuck on the pretty woman bit ...
                              Smetana
                              Not Strauss. Someone born up your way....
                              Not a "pretty" woman, just a woman (maybe on a cycle)
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Just dropped in and just about to start Googling Life with a vengeance or even the Oxford Online Music Reference but then realised that Life is not that unique a term!

Comment

Working...
                                X