This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Reminds one of certain people on The Forum. Apart from the "-ly beautiful" bit, that is...

Sorry... feeling a little devilish atm. Hostly bonhomie will return soon, I'm sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
      Well it's harder to give the exact answers - innit?

Vassily Brandt 34 Orchestral Etudes for Trumpet (I know them well of course).

Vasily Petrenko prom 54 RAH 2012 - Peter Maxwell Davies symphony no. 9. Here I'm a little unsure - do these modern composers bother with mere key signatures?

The difficult one is two Russian Images deep down. This may be referring to " in 1989, Russian scientists in Siberia had drilled a borehole some 14.5 kilometers deep into the Earth's crust. The drill broke through into a cavity, and the scientists lowered some equipment to see what was down there. The temperature was about 1,100°C (about 2,000°F), but the real shocker was the sound that was recorded. They only got about 17 seconds of audio before the microphone melted, but it was 17 horrifying seconds of the screams of the damned!"

Whether one of those scientists was called Vasily?
      Pretty good Odders.

Vassily it is - and Mr Brandt's études

I can see why you're offering Petrenko but on the card it's Sinaisky who performed Moeran's G mi symphony at the Proms a few seasons back

And the bass-baritone Vassily Savenko gave us not one but two albums entitled Russian Images

Vassily Savenko: Bass Baritone ... "This is a voice of finely woven texture, enriched throughout by reserves of depth in the tone"

So Odders - well done ;star::magic - and over to you for a Wubble-Ewe
      Last edited by Guest; 08-02-13, 21:35. Reason: trypo

Comment

Oh well not too bad.

I was all prepared for an X. Didn't realise W came first!

So you can have an X straight away - but for a W you may have to wait until tomorrow!

Comment

Oh well not too bad.

I was all prepared for an X. Didn't realise W came first!

So you can have an X straight away - but for a W you may have to wait until tomorrow!
          Let's have your X - X for dinner anyone?
          Last edited by Guest; 08-02-13, 21:44. Reason: trypo

Comment

Ok Thanks amateur51

With apologies for being out of alphabetical order.

An X to link: A flop in Paris. A flop in London. And a choral lament.

I'm sure that will entertain you for 10 minutes or so after dinner.

Comment

Isn't this an example of a "mercia excuse-me"? Perfectly acceptable!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Isn't this an example of a "mercia excuse-me"? Perfectly acceptable!
                Of course, well remembered Cali!

Comment

An X to link: A flop in Paris. A flop in London. And a choral lament.

I'm sure that will entertain you for 10 minutes or so after dinner.

Knotty one!

Great having new brains on this thread - I thought we were all out of X's!

However I just checked a hunch: Handel's Xerxes was a flop in London...

Aeschylus's The Persians ends with Xerxes and the chorus in a lament for the Persians' defeat

Not sure what the Paris connection could be though.... This fragment of a cup from the Babylonian era is in the Louvre and has Xerxes's name on the rim, apparently:

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Excellent Caliban, right first time with Handel.

But in regard to Paris, I am looking for a musical connection.

Great answer for Choral lament, but not theright one!

Comment

Cavalli wrote a Xerxes and it was a flop in Paris, except for the ballet interludes put in by Lully (though knowing a bit about Lully I'm wondering if this was a set-up ).

I knew that Handel's Xerxes was a flop when first performed in London, but the choral lament has got me stumped. Has someone set just this part of the play? An English composer?

Comment

There's a lamentable chorus in The Gondoliers

We will dance a cachucha, fandango, bolero,
                        Old Xeres we'll drink Manzanilla, Montero;
                        For wine, when it runs in abundance, enhances
                        The reckless delight of that wildest of dances!
                        To the pretty pitter-pitter-patter,
                        And the clitter-clitter-clitter-clatter
                        Glitter clitter clatter,
                        Fitter pitter patter
                        We will dance a cachucha, fandango, bolero ;
                        Old Xeres we'll drink Manzanilla, Montero;
                        For wine, when it runs in abundance, enhances
                        The reckless delight of that wildest of dances!

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Goodness, is it a choral setting of the Largo? This?

Song: Holy Art Thou (Largo from Xerxes)Singers: Mormon Tabernacle ChoirComposer: George Frideric Handel.This is an adaptation of Handel's music from his ope...

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                            Cavalli wrote a Xerxes and it was a flop in Paris, except for the ballet interludes put in by Lully (though knowing a bit about Lully I'm wondering if this was a set-up ).

I knew that Handel's Xerxes was a flop when first performed in London, but the choral lament has got me stumped. Has someone set just this part of the play? An English composer?
                            Homing in very nicely hedgehog! I gather the Cavalli version was about 8 hours long, so that may have been another reason for the flop.

You are correct on both counts on the choral lament. Not G&S and not more Handel.

Comment

Gosh, I was too dozy this morning. Xerxes, not Xeres! <doh>
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Aeschylus' Persians ends with Xerxes lamenting the enormity of Persia’s defeat.

The Persians, Aeschylus' earliest surviving tragedy, holds a fascination both for readers of Greek drama and Greek history. Not only is it the earliest existing play in the Western tradition, it is drawn directly from the playwright's own experiences at the battle of Salamis, making it the only account of the Persian Wars composed by an eyewitness. And as pure tragedy, it is a masterpiece. Aeschylus tells the story of the war from the Persian point of view, and his pride in the great victory of Greeks is tempered with a real compassion for Xerxes and his vanquished nation. Lembke and Harrington have rendered this stunning work in a modern translation that loses none of the original's dramatic juxtaposition of serenity and violence, hope and despair.
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X