This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    You're looking for two composers and an author to lead you to a B who is neither
    Brilliant picture, Calibs! I do hope Hodgy is OK, safely back from St Tiggywinkles and tucked up in bed

Could the Alexander be Glazunov?
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
      Could the Alexander be Glazunov?
      Not in this instance!

Alexander is the one who isn't a composer.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Johann Mattheson ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          Johann Mattheson ?
          Brilliant!!!

Do go on.....

Comment

the life of Boris Godunov dramatised by Alexander Pushkin in his play of 1831, incidental music by Sergei Prokofiev (1936).
            and a 1710 opera by Johann Mattheson, rediscovered this century and first performed 2005.

Mattheson (1681-1764) - according to wikipedia - was a friend of Handel but on one occasion had an argument with him resulting in Handel being stabbed but saved by a button - so now you know

there are also two vocal "Boris Monologues" by Sergei Rachmaninov
            Last edited by mercia; 23-02-13, 07:19.

Comment

Well that's goodunov coleslaw for me! Astonishing!
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Good old Buttons. Not only did he help Cinderella to happiness, he also saved Handel's life!
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  the life of Boris Godunov dramatised by Alexander Pushkin in his play of 1831, incidental music by Sergei Prokofiev (1936).
                  and a 1710 opera by Johann Mattheson, rediscovered this century and first performed 2005.

Mattheson (1681-1764) - according to wikipedia - was a friend of Handel but on one occasion had an argument with him resulting in Handel being stabbed but saved by a button - so now you know

there are also two vocal "Boris Monologues" by Sergei Rachmaninov

Not only immaculate coleslaw, but we get free amuse-gueules too! Real standard! I had no idea about the Handel attempted g.b.h. (or worse) nor about the Rachmaninov connection

If I could offer more than a mere C, I would gladly do so!

Comment

incidentally, just for total completeness, I don't think anyone picked up the tiny little clue I slipped into the 'UPDATE' bit of my #31314? (Modest Mussorgsky having written perhaps the best-known version of Boris's life...)

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      incidentally, just for total completeness, I don't think anyone picked up the tiny little clue I slipped into the 'UPDATE' bit of my #31314? (Modest Mussorgsky having written perhaps the best-known version of Boris's life...)
                      No, nobody did

We were too worried about Hedgehog, and also shocked to discover Anna and ferney whipping...
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Hello all!

Thankyou for all your kind wishes. Friday evening is not a good time to have an accident, I had to wait quite a while, but my paw did get stitched up & it's OK but swollen. Gash in palm, so a bit limited for a few days.

Comment

no, completely missed modest - I think flay is awaiting a question - I hope he's done his chores

C, a composer, who gave us these three works, probably in vinteuil territory

'elegant' Europe, Venetian 'celebrations' and the three Ages of life

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                            swollen. Gash in palm
                            nasty !!! - but your typing isn't suffering - A&E full of young revellers ?

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                              also shocked to discover Anna and ferney whipping...
                              It's Friday night! What else are we expected to do?

These syllabubs don't whisk themselves, y'know!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                                Hello all!

Thankyou for all your kind wishes. Friday evening is not a good time to have an accident, I had to wait quite a while, but my paw did get stitched up & it's OK but swollen. Gash in palm, so a bit limited for a few days.
                                Lordy hodge, what were you doing? Shucking oysters?

Very good to know that you are stitched up and welcome back!

Comment

Working...
                                X