• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Of course - a giant sunflower head with Bob's grinning face superimposed at the centre The Flowerpot Man cometh
    ... and democracy is safe...

Long Live Her Majesty!!

Ahem...

Oh K! linking Mobil (later Lexus) with Tūranga-nui-a-Kiwa and a second lady...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Oh K! linking Mobil (later Lexus) with Tūranga-nui-a-Kiwa and a second lady...
      A deathly hush...

The elements leading you to the K are respectively a competition, a town and an operatic character....

Comment

• hedgehog

Well actually I was pondering whether Dame Kiri had performed the ondes martenot in Mesiaen's Turangulila . She won a Mobil (later Lexus) prize in Kiwi land.

Know idea about an operatic character though......

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
          Well actually I was pondering whether Dame Kiri had performed the ondes martenot in Mesiaen's Turangulila . She won a Mobil (later Lexus) prize in Kiwi land.

Know idea about an operatic character though......
          You are very much on the way. Kiri is the K and yes to the competition.

Two to go

Comment

• hedgehog

You are very much on the way. Kiri is the K and yes to the competition.

Two to go
            This is one? Kiri Deonarine? (one could make a joke about Rexona & African lilies but hey.....) Never heard of her, is she goed?

I'm sure someone else knows who the operatic character is. Opera (especially 19thC apart from Wagner & a few others) is definitely not one of my strong suits

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

This is one? Kiri Deonarine?

...I'm sure someone else knows who the operatic character is. Opera (especially 19thC apart from Wagner & a few others) is definitely not one of my strong suits
              It's all one and the same Kiri - all three elements are about Ms Te Kanawa née Rawstron.

As to the lady - a certain nocturnal royal personage had three of them...

Never heard of her, is she goed?
              Dat weet ik niet

Comment

• hedgehog

It's all one and the same Kiri - all three elements are about Ms Te Kanawa née Rawstron.

As to the lady - a certain nocturnal royal personage had three of them...
                Oranges? No really I'm out of my depth here and shall retire to a glass of red wine and further mulling over.....dinner. I'm sure someone will come along and fill in the details. Without fear - I have an L.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Oranges? No really I'm out of my depth here and shall retire to a glass of red wine and further mulling over.....dinner. I'm sure someone will come along and fill in the details. Without fear - I have an L.
                  Wel wel wel !!!

No not oranges - we were talking about ladies... Three ladies... Nocturnal... Night... Royal... e.g. Queen...

Comment

• hedgehog

Sigh..... the trouble with Kiri is that she's not that interesting. Doey-eyed and not a bad voice but rather one dimensional I'm afraid. Like her debut as the 2nd lady in Die Zauberflöte. Never never the risks of a Queen of the Night or whatever. In terms of Antipodean talent, just not up there with the over the top Dame Joan, or the supple musicality of Yvonne Minton (gosh boulez la marteau.. & Mahler Das lied...)

So I don't know the town involved & I'm sorry I don't really care, she's the Nigella Lawson of the opera world to me (sorry no offence intended, it's just that's how it is to me).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Sigh..... the trouble with Kiri is that she's not that interesting. Doey-eyed and not a bad voice but rather one dimensional I'm afraid. Like her debut as the 2nd lady in Die Zauberflöte. Never never the risks of a Queen of the Night or whatever. In terms of Antipodean talent, just not up there with the over the top Dame Joan, or the supple musicality of Yvonne Minton (gosh boulez la marteau.. & Mahler Das lied...)

So I don't know the town involved & I'm sorry I don't really care, she's the Nigella Lawson of the opera world to me (sorry no offence intended, it's just that's how it is to me).

I agree!

You have two down.

Now - just Tūranga-nui-a-Kiwa left... Shall I give it?

No... as hedgehog may only be back in the morning, I'll leave the last bit for night hawks and early birds....

Then 'tis for sure a hedgehog L (so mercia can clean up without fear! )

Comment

• hedgehog

Now - just Tūranga-nui-a-Kiwa left...
                        Oh I can clean up! Tūranga-nui-a-Kiwa is the maori name for the area where Kiri te Kanawa was born (as Claire Mary Teresa Rawstron, she was adopted by the te Kanawa family). Town called Gisborne.

I'll put up an L late tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

• hedgehog

Change of plans! here's an L then:

Which signature tune of a lutenist can be found in a garden of delight,
                          but amongst those angels cast from heaven, is usurped by a maiden?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Great! Well solved ! - sorry to drag you down to the minutiae of Dame Kiri's biography... I have to say I was in close proximity to KtK watching the Queen's Jubilee River pageant, like standing next to her for a while: she looks absolutely stunning these days, a very classy, laid back person. Voice not to my taste, like yours, though.

And thanks for the L.... Something to get the teeth into over lunch in case the office canteen has an off day...

But.... not more gardens !!! Ammy and ferney will start going on about Bill Flowerpot or whatever his name is...

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

wondered vaguely if Dowland was the lutenist - which took me briefly to Lachrimae
                              and the angels took me to The Divine Comedy and something by Andriessen
                              and is the garden perfumed ? a clue welcome

just picturing calabrese lying back with KTK on a Thames barge
                              why isn't hedgehog's voice to his taste?

Comment

• hedgehog

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                wondered vaguely if Dowland was the lutenist - which took me briefly to Lachrimae
                                and the angels took me to The Divine Comedy and something by Andriessen
                                and is the garden perfumed ? a clue welcome

Nothing vague about Dowland Lachrimae (or Lachryme) is correct, though knowing the precise title will help. The garden isn't perfumed & your other conjectures aren't very close either!

(KTK's voice is perfectly nice, just somewhat overhyped imo. "Hedgehog" is btw as in "the elegance of" & hence I'm a female!)

Comment

Working...
                                X