X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    just picturing calabrese lying back with KTK on a Thames barge
    ... if you recall, it was the most inclement of summer days - I felt colder and wetter that day than any this winter

why isn't hedgehog's voice to his taste?
    I accept that my 'voice' comment was ambiguous! No doubt a stray Oxford comma Vindepays will doubtless pop up and advise...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

ah I see it's a signature tune because Dowland sometimes signed himself Jo Dolandi di Lachrimae
      haven't found the garden connection yet - the poem is just night-time tears

EDIT - if the garden had a primrose in it, there would be a Benjamin Britten connection
      EDIT EDIT - the angels are the tears ?

am I looking for other composers' Lachrymae ?

wikipedia says that George Crumb's Black Angels has a section Pavana Lachrymae which quotes(?) Schubert's Death and the Maiden

???????
      Last edited by mercia; 28-02-13, 17:35.

Comment

ah I see it's a signature tune because Dowland sometimes signed himself Jo Dolandi di Lachrimae
        haven't found the garden connection yet - the poem is just night-time tears

EDIT - if the garden had a primrose in it, there would be a Benjamin Britten connection

am I looking for other composers' Lachrymae ?

wikipedia says that George Crumb's Black Angels has a section Pavana Lachrymae which quotes(?) Schubert's Death and the Maiden

???????
        1 it doesn't have a primrose in it. In fact it doesn't have any flowers in it.
        2. Well yes & no
        3, YES Crumb uses the title of Dowland's piece (the original title for the lute piece) but quotes the beginning of the Death and the Maiden (hence the maiden usurping the Lachrimae as it were.

So you are looking for another Pavane Lachrymae - in a garden

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
          So you are looking for another Pavane Lachrymae - in a garden
          not too sure at the moment
          perhaps we are in the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book - John Jenkins ? All in a Garden Grine ?

no I don't think so

Comment

"Garden of delights" is the translation used, but isn't completely accurate, it's more like a courtyard or an enclosed garden. And Andriessen in a way has a connection!

Comment

well the internet is giving me Jacob van Eyck's Der Fluyten Lust-hof (The Flute's Garden of Delights, or The Flute's Pleasure Garden) but not telling me of a Lachrymae connection.

Comment

well the internet is giving me Jacob van Eyck's Der Fluyten Lust-hof (The Flute's Garden of Delights, or The Flute's Pleasure Garden) but not telling me of a Lachrymae connection.
                Well it's a piece that you will find in it!

Quoting from the CD "Engels Liedt" which can be found on Naxos online (and it's a lovely CD too):

Jacob van Eyck – the flute and carillon player, ................ as a young man, he entered the service of the city of Utrecht as a chimer, and over the years more and more musicians from all over the Netherlands came to him to learn from his deep knowledge and understanding of the bell’s sound. His acute sense and above all his enchanting flute playing soon became known and revered in Utrecht, and in 1649 the city raised his salary on the condition that he would continue playing for the passers-by at the Janskerkhof from time to time. That same year saw the publication of the “Fluyten Lust-hof ”, a comprehensive collection of tunes that Jacob van Eyck played on evenings like this on the cemetery. Since he was blind, others had to note down and collect his songs and compositions for him. The result of these transcriptions was – back then – the largest ever collection of printed tunes for a solo instrument.

In this collection you will find "Pavaen Lachrymae" which is a set of variations on Dowland's original lute song "Pavane Lachrimae". (The "flute" by the way is the recorder.)
                Crumb refers to this work in his composition "Black Angels" for string quartet and electronics, but uses the beginning of the Death and the Maiden lied/quartet of Schubert(which isn't a pavane rhythm btw).

That's it! Congratulations Mercia!

You may like to Mull over an M question. I shall withdraw from this room for a while though. It seems a bit empty, hope I haven't scared people away!

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  hope I haven't scared people away!
                  Gosh, not at all! I am just back from Scotland where for some reason I struggled to get a 3G connection - will it get worse after the 16-year-olds vote for independence? I'm just managing to catch up with the action.

Don't worry, mercia will keep up the Momentum.
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

please don't withdraw - we'll be even emptier !!!

naxos online is obviously the first port of call to find a hoggers answer

mulling an M, having spent the last ten minutes mulling another L question for some unknown reason

Comment

an M please to connect

suburbs, landscapes, and variations on "The Polish Dancer
                      "

Comment

an M please to connect

suburbs, landscapes, and variations on "The Polish Dancer
                        "
                        I think Frederico Mompou would connect them nicely
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Coleslaw:

Frederic Mompou i Dencausse 16 April 1893 – 30 June 1987, a Catalan Spanish composer and pianist. Works for solo piano : -

Suburbis
                          Paisajes (Landscapes)
                          Variations on a Theme of Chopin based on Chopin's Prelude No. 7 in A major (The Polish Dancer)

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                            Coleslaw:

Frederic Mompou i Dencausse 16 April 1893 – 30 June 1987, a Catalan Spanish composer and pianist. Works for solo piano : -

Suburbis
                            Paisajes (Landscapes)
                            Variations on a Theme of Chopin based on Chopin's Prelude No. 7 in A major (The Polish Dancer)

I say Flay - triffic stuff!

Comment

Thanks. I think mercs is snoozing. May I assume that was correct? I have to pick Mrs Flay up from the Girls' night out so must post soon...

Sometimes a symphony is not all it seems… Find me an N please:

Of rats and people: Peters first bite, and Bernard who helped a Budding Benjamin
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                                May I assume that was correct?
                                of course you may - well done apologies for absence

Michelangeli, no less, plays a little melancholic Mompou
                                Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli playing Mompou's Cancion no. 6 from his 4 March 1957 recital in London.
                                Last edited by mercia; 01-03-13, 04:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X