X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    Of rats and people: Peters first bite, and Bernard who helped a Budding Benjamin
    well I believe that is James Bernard, but he is obviously not an N

[I think this thread really irks at least one person on another thread ]
    Last edited by mercia; 01-03-13, 07:47.

Comment

• Flay
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      well I believe that is James Bernard, but he obviously 'aint an N

Yes indeed! Care to explain why, or must I? Or shall we await the eventual and inevitable coleslaw?

And who could possibly be irked by this educational, entertaining and informative thread?
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

Yes indeed! Care to explain why, or must I?
        well according to wiki, film composer James Bernard copied out the vocal score of Billy Budd for BB

Comment

• Flay
          • Mar 2007

well according to wiki, film composer James Bernard copied out the vocal score of Billy Budd for BB
          Hmm...
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

I think "irk" is his default setting.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

so James Bernard's music to the 1922 film Nosferatu, whose full title is Nosferatu - A Symphony of Horror

a couple more Nosferatus to get probably - I must abandon my computer for an hour

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

so James Bernard's music to the 1922 film Nosferatu, whose full title is Nosferatu - A Symphony of Horror

a couple more Nosferatus to get probably - I must abandon my computer for an hour

Indeed, James Bernard is one of the three.

During his last year [at Wellington College], Bernard met Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears, who were visiting the college to discuss the staging of the new opera Peter Grimes with the designer and schoolmaster Kenneth Green. Bernard was delighted when Britten took an interest in his work for piano and trombone, even adding an improvised percussion part for "stone on drainpipe". They remained in touch during Bernard's national service in the RAF from 1943-46. "Ben encouraged me to learn the rules of composing, so I could break them," he said later.
                Composer whose scores added chill notes to Quatermass, Frankenstein and Dracula.
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

Of rats and people: Peters first bite, and Bernard who helped a Budding Benjamin
                  By the way, I got a grade C for O-Level English Language. I don't do apostrophe abuse.
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

The Rats & People Motion Picture Orchestra is an ensemble of composers and musicians based in St. Louis, Missouri. The ensemble composes and performs original scores to accompany films of the Silent Era including F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu (Premiered 2009, commissioned by Vanderbilt University) for Wurlitzer electric piano, two violins, viola, electric guitar, theremin, vibraphone, trumpet, trombone and tape loop operator/percussionist

not sure who Peter is yet

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

The Rats & People Motion Picture Orchestra is an ensemble of composers and musicians based in St. Louis, Missouri. The ensemble composes and performs original scores to accompany films of the Silent Era including F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu (Premiered 2009, commissioned by Vanderbilt University) for Wurlitzer electric piano, two violins, viola, electric guitar, theremin, vibraphone, trumpet, trombone and tape loop operator/percussionist
                      That's them http://www.theratsandpeople.com/mpo.html

not sure who Peter is yet
                      See #31523 and think again....
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

See #31523 and think again....
                        <doh> I was tricked - I thought that meant there should be an apostrophe <doh>
                        Randolph Peters, born 1959, Canadian composer, 1993 opera Nosferatu [first bite ? - his first opera ? ]

so that was Nosferatu in the hands of Randolph Peters, James Bernard and The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra

a spooky question

I actually have an O question ready - would you Adam & Eve it ??
                        Last edited by mercia; 01-03-13, 16:32.

Comment

• Flay
                          • Mar 2007

<doh> I was tricked - I thought that meant there should be an apostrophe <doh>
                          Randolph Peters, born 1959, Canadian composer, 1993 opera Nosferatu [first bite ? - his first opera ? ]
                          I thought I was trying to help! Yes, his first opera.

so that was Nosferatu in the hands of Randolph Peters, James Bernard and The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra

a spooky question

I actually have an O question ready - would you Adam & Eve it ??
                          Coleslawed to perfection!

Onwards and upwards!
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

an O please to link

a Norwegian witch, 'The devil takes a wife', and the first of the McCunn books

Comment

• Anna

Before mercia launches his outrageously outstanding O can I please proffer my abject apologies? I had no idea Ivor was the answer, I did know he was a bit of a No Good Boyo but then I was called away on a mission of mercy as a crisis seemed to be developing into a drama (I won't go into details except to say that certain members of my family put Maria Callas to shame in the Diva and Drama Queen stakes when confronted by HMRC) Also, I had no idea about Alf and the other element so it was just a lucky strike. This is my first visit, and posting, to the MB since then but, circumstances permitting and the fact that this weekend there is no rugby, no gigot d’agneau to be cooked and no flu to be combatted I hope to give my full and undivided attention from Saturday morning onwards.
                              Edit: Curses, posted too late and mercia has launched his puzzle! The apology still stands.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                circumstances permitting and the fact that this weekend there is no rugby, no gigot d’agneau to be cooked and no flu to be combatted I hope to give my full and undivided attention from Saturday morning onwards.

Good to know! And Happy St David's day Anna (Yes I know it should be a daff but they ain't got none look you!)

I am working till 10pm today and over the weekend but hope to have access to t'Forum from time to time (like now)...
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X