X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

I don't know any Gliere, which I guess is rather a gliereing ommission
    just listened to The Sailors' Dance and The Charleston from The Red Poppy - they both sound good Breakfast-Show fare
    A very memorable dance from the ballet The Red Poppy by Reinhold Gliere. Performance on the Naxos label.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      More than likely!! The Sailors Dance is world famous, I think you would know it if you heard it!
      Just the film score (from a book) to get, (American composer and author) Come on Cali, are you a man or a mouse?
      Edit: Disregard this post!!!
      She so loves to goad !

Meanwhile events move on around her!

Nice topical question, Anna. A classic AA puzzle!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        they both sound good Breakfast-Show fare
        How much more damning can you get!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          I'd heard of The Red Pony Suite, but I don't think I've ever heard it (and had forgotten all about it until you mentioned it )
          - you didn't, did you! "Poppy"/"Pony" must be the most useful "mishearing" I've experienced!

I have a Q if nobody objects to bouncing around the alphabet.
          Without further howdo; I'm fed up of Red Nose Day, so:

A Q to connect:
          Another name for Twelfth Night;
          A Magic Night;
          the end of a sleepless night.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Anna

Just to tidy up after myself and hand the coleslaw around:
            The Red Poppy by Gliere, famous for Dance of the Sailors
            The Red Pony by Copland, film score, book by John Steinbeck
            Red Priest (Vivaldi and ensemble of the same name)
            Red Roses for a Blue Lady (additional clue), who cares who it's by!! I too have had enough of Red Nose Day!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              She so loves to goad !

Meanwhile events move on around her!

Nice topical question, Anna. A classic AA puzzle!
              Yes indeed Anna, a classic, nice to see that some still have the skill, ahem

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Yes indeed Anna, a classic, nice to see that some still have the skill, ahem
                Thanks Ams and Cali! I quite feel I may be getting my mojo back again!
                A Q to connect:
                Another name for Twelfth Night;
                A Magic Night;
                the end of a sleepless night.
                Sorry ferney, after much thought I've drawn a blank of this Q so far and now off for a while.

Comment

• Anna

At nearly half ten of the clock, still no idea, even fortified by a riffle through my Oxford Dictionary of Music. Cannot be a composer, is it a foreign word? Not that I'll be able to give it much throught until tomorrow but I know how dispiriting it is to set a puzzle and feel all have deserted you .....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    At nearly half ten of the clock, still no idea, even fortified by a riffle through my Oxford Dictionary of Music. Cannot be a composer, is it a foreign word? Not that I'll be able to give it much throught until tomorrow but I know how dispiriting it is to set a puzzle and feel all have deserted you .....
                    Possibly it might help to start with the last bit; possibly the most famous piece of Music associated with insomnia?

Or, from what you say, it sounds as if I've given a vile clue.

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

vile
                      well Kurt Weill apparently wrote a children's pantomime called Die Zaubernacht (The Magic Night) from which, says wikipedia, he extracted a suite called Quodlibet opus 9 (1923)

a quodlibet is the thirtieth [last] variation of The Goldberg Variations, which I'm ashamed to say I didn't know was written as an antidote to insomnia. I've chopped a bit out of wikipedia if there's anybody else out there who didn't know.

The most famous part of Goldberg's life is the portion, probably in 1741, recounted by J.S. Bach's biographer Johann Nikolaus Forkel, which involved the composition of a set of variations by Bach as a soporific to help the insomniac Count Keyserlingk fall asleep. Keyserlingk's favorite chamber harpsichordist was the 14-year-old Goldberg, whose technical accomplishments were so spectacular that they made it possible for him to perform a work of such extraordinary difficulty. Whether the count actually slept through performances of the piece is not recorded, but he did indicate that Bach's composition was a great favorite of his

and finally, as we all know, quodlibet translates as 'what you will' which is the alternative title of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night

very impressed if the ferne knew all that before setting the question - <prostrate worship emoticon>
                      Last edited by mercia; 16-03-13, 08:05.

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Excellent question - top notch solution - one of mercs best - I was getting nowhere down the insomnia route but reading it here I now recall the Goldbergs connection.

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

oops, I should have left a Goldberg question for Mr Gould to solve never mind

Comment

• Anna

Mercia, you are a marvel! I got as far as Magic Night (after ferney's generous clue) but remained totally stuck thereafter, so went to bed before more fruitless puzzling gave me insomnia!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              well Kurt Weill apparently wrote a children's pantomime called Die Zaubernacht (The Magic Night) from which, says wikipedia, he extracted a suite called Quodlibet opus 9 (1923)

a quodlibet is the thirtieth [last] variation of The Goldberg Variations, which I'm ashamed to say I didn't know was written as an antidote to insomnia. I've chopped a bit out of wikipedia if there's anybody else out there who didn't know.

The most famous part of Goldberg's life is the portion, probably in 1741, recounted by J.S. Bach's biographer Johann Nikolaus Forkel, which involved the composition of a set of variations by Bach as a soporific to help the insomniac Count Keyserlingk fall asleep. Keyserlingk's favorite chamber harpsichordist was the 14-year-old Goldberg, whose technical accomplishments were so spectacular that they made it possible for him to perform a work of such extraordinary difficulty. Whether the count actually slept through performances of the piece is not recorded, but he did indicate that Bach's composition was a great favorite of his

and finally, as we all know, quodlibet translates as 'what you will' which is the alternative title of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night

That wasn't just an ordinary answer: that was a Mercs and Spencer gold standard answer with Guernsey cream mayonnaise and Tibetian Mountain fennel!
                              We've already had the splendid R from Anna (and I've cleaned that up) - So a splendidly scintilating S, s'il vous plait!

very impressed if the ferne knew all that before setting the question
                              All except the Weill - for some reason, I thought it was by Korngold! (So easy to confuse the two, isn't it!

Comment

• amateur51

Top puzzle & top solving - well done both!

Comment

Working...
                                X