• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Joseph Bodin de Boismortier is his name

Les quatre saisons, cantatas (1724), Daphnis et Chloé, pastorale (1747), Les gentillesses, cantatilles (short cantatas)

pray continue

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mercia View Post

Les quatre saisons, cantatas (1724), Daphnis et Chloé, pastorale (1747), Les gentillesses, cantatilles (short cantatas)

pray continue
      Cheers mercs - that's the way to do it

What C links the Pied Piper of Hamelin, the end of Lulu and a medieval defensive anti-cavalry measure?

Comment

• JFLL
        • Jan 2011

What C links the Pied Piper of Hamelin, the end of Lulu and a medieval defensive anti-cavalry measure?
        Anything to do with Friedrich Cerha who completed Berg’s Lulu and also wrote an opera called Der Rattenfänger?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
          Anything to do with Friedrich Cerha who completed Berg’s Lulu and also wrote an opera called Der Rattenfänger?
          The very chap, JFLL

The mediaeval wotsit's name is a cheval de frise, a fearsome sounding thing which is also the title of a work by Gerald Barry, a pupil of Cerha,

but you did all the hard work and so can set D next puzzle
          Last edited by Guest; 20-03-13, 17:00. Reason: trypos

Comment

• JFLL
            • Jan 2011

The very chap, JFLL

The mediaeval wotsit's name is a cheval de frise, a fearsome sounding thing which is also the title of a work by Gerald Barry, a pupil of Cerha,

but you did all the hard work and so can set D next puzzle
            OK, ams. I got as far as the cheval de Frise, but failed to make the link with Barry.

Here's a D:

Which D is an operatic kidnapper, gets mixed up in sylvan shenanigans in another opera, and keeps a friendly eye on the military.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

I'm not an opera buff so this will be a slow process of elimination as I trawl through every known opera

so far I don't think I've found a D character in a forest in Wagner, Weber or Humperdinck - I'm assuming the military part is operatic too (?) are any of the three operas based on Shakespeare ?

EDIT - Plan B - are any of the operas by Verdi ?
              Last edited by mercia; 21-03-13, 07:55.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Ohh, well done, JFLL...I'd found the cheval de Frise but could make no leap to anything sensible!

Not making this one easy, are you

The ‘abduction’ plot was a staple of opera in the eighteenth century, making appearances in virtually every major repertory. ​Jama Stilwell OUP 2010

Comment

• Resurrection Man

It's not something like Don as in Don Giovanni, I suppose ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

keeps a friendly eye on the military.
                    Great to have a JFLL puzzle!!

I'm like mercia - operatically-challenged - and the only immediate thought re: the above bit was "La Fille de Régiment" ... could the D be Daughter....??
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Resurrection Man

I think it might be Doctor perhaps? There is a Doctor in the army barracks in Wozzeck

EDIT: No, think it is Demetrius.

Demetrio e Polibio (Demetrius and Polybius) is a two-act operaticdramma serio by Gioachino Rossini ....(Demetrius) plots to kidnap Siveno

(Britten: A Midsummer Night's Dream). Bar. An Athenian in love with Hermia, probably lots of winsome looks in a sylvan glen ...par for the course in this storyline ?

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Demetrius - successor to Alexander, maybe?

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

you're working well RM

I've just found a doctor in Pelleas & Melisande [partly set in a forest]

Comment

• JFLL
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                            I think it might be Doctor perhaps? There is a Doctor in the army barracks in Wozzeck

EDIT: No, think it is Demetrius.

Demetrio e Polibio (Demetrius and Polybius) is a two-act operaticdramma serio by Gioachino Rossini ....(Demetrius) plots to kidnap Siveno

(Britten: A Midsummer Night's Dream). Bar. An Athenian in love with Hermia, probably lots of winsome looks in a sylvan glen ...par for the course in this storyline ?
                            Good work, RM. That's two of them. I thought the MN Dream one might be the easiest, but I'm fillled with admiration for your knowledge of obscure Rossini! Now the third one? Clue: nothing to do with music (except that a certain composer shares the name).

Comment

• hedgehog

Now the third one? Clue: nothing to do with music (except that a certain composer shares the name).
                              Oooooh Dmtri as in Shostakovich and Nabokov, son of Vladimir? He was in the US army.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Good work, RM. That's two of them. I thought the MN Dream one might be the easiest, but I'm fillled with admiration for your knowledge of obscure Rossini! Now the third one? Clue: nothing to do with music (except that a certain composer shares the name).
                                No, just luck with Google and a bit of lateral thinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X