X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    so people named Lazio, Adelaide and Orlando

wiki says there was an opera singer named Adelaide Phillips (but Orlando Phillips was a basketball player )
    Yes, people for 2 out of 3, but go back in time please.
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
      Poor Ed, please don't Psy. Even I wouldn't inflict Gangnam on AA. I can assure you that the answer will be well within your comfort zone.

And no, mercs, nice tries anyway.

Why just cities? Keep trying.
      Apologies,flay, for my Psy-chotic episode.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
        Apologies,flay, for my Psy-chotic episode.
        AA does induce Psychosis.

But pleased keep trying. I'm not dissing you when I say it is not ambiguous on Wiki
        Last edited by Flay; 24-09-13, 12:36. Reason: highlighting the disambiguation
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Is there anyone out there?
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Nicola Porpora ...a prolific opera writer...whose works include Adelaide, Enia nel Lazio but I can't see reference to Orlando.

EDIT: ah yes, listed by Amazon although strangely missing from the online List of Operas.

Comment

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
              Nicola Porpora ...a prolific opera writer...whose works include Adelaide, Enia nel Lazio but I can't see reference to Orlando.

EDIT: ah yes, listed by Amazon although strangely missing from the online List of Operas.
              Well done Rezzo! I did say to Ed that the answer would not drive him insane...

His music is quite pleasant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdokPh-4TJo

In 1752 Porpora moved to Vienna where he hired as his accompanist and valet the youthful Joseph Haydn, who was making his way in that city as a struggling freelancer. Haydn later said that he "profited greatly from Porpora in singing, in composition, and in the Italian language" and that from the maestro he had learned "the true fundamentals of composition"
              Will the next letter be Quirky?
              Last edited by Flay; 25-09-13, 10:10. Reason: Haydn quote added
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

It will indeed, I hope.

A Q please to link Blackburn, Phelps and Ross.

Will be away from the computer this afternoon but will try to access via my smartphone.

Comment

Does Dervaux help?

Comment

Does Dervaux help?
                    Yes I think it does thanks...
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Sorry, rather distracted today.

I suspect it's Quebec:

Joseph Albert Maurice Blackburn (22 May 1914, Quebec City - 29 March 1988, Montreal) was a Canadian composer, conductor, sound editor for film, builder of string instruments, and musical adviser. In 1983 he was awarded the Albert-Tessier Prize for his life-work by the Quebec government.

Lawrence Phelps, born in Boston in 1923, died in Boston 1999. Organ builder. In 1958, he became tonal director for Casavant Frères Limitée, descendants of the first Canadian-born organ builder, Joseph Casavant. By the time he left to form his own company in 1972, Phelps had advanced to president of the Casavant firm. Casavant Frères is a prominent Canadian company in Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec, which has been building fine pipe organs since 1879. As of 2008, they have produced over 3800 organs.

Scott Ross (March 1, 1951 – June 13, 1989) was a United States-born harpsichordist who lived in France and Canada for many years. His recordings include the first complete recording by a single performer of the 555 harpsichord sonatas of Domenico Scarlatti. He was nearly crippled by a severe scoliosis that kept him in a corset for much of his early life. He taught at the School of Music, Université Laval, Quebec.

And for an encore:

Pierre Dervaux (born January 3, 1917 in Juvisy-sur-Orge, France; died February 20, 1992 in Marseilles) was a French operatic conductor, composer, and pedagogue. He taught at the Conservatoire de musique du Québec à Montréal (1965-72)

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                        Well done Rezzo! I did say to Ed that the answer would not drive him insane...
                        ?
                        A well-composed question, Flay, full of clever deceit, and duplicity.

Better composed than Porpora's operas, I fear. His stuff is ripe for the Beecham lollipops treatment
                        Last edited by edashtav; 25-09-13, 22:58. Reason: typo

Comment

A well-composed question, Flay, full of clever decei, and duplicity.
                          Why, thank you, Ed

Better composed than Porpora's operas, I fear. His stuff is ripe for the Beecham lollipops treatment
                          But his operas must be better than Psy's works, I pray!

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Well done, Flay. Perfect in every respect.

R you ready?

Comment

R you ready?
                              As Ready as I'll ever be.

What R could link the gods of winter, and a butterfly, playing possum.
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Time to bump this up...

The three are musical works, which lead to a name common to other works by these three people.
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X