This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

This would involve that piece I always put on while writing Christmas cards: the middle piece in Respighi's "Trittico Botticelliano" called Adoration of the Magi uses Veni Veni Emmanuel. Rather haunting actually.

Likewise the tune is used in U2's song called White as Snow... (thanks Wiki)
    Those are they Caliban

It was ed who cracked it though - so if he wishes.....................

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      Those are they Caliban

It was ed who cracked it though - so if he wishes.....................
      Agreed!

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
      You seem like a Wise Man, Caliban!
      How deceptive appearances can be!

Will you, ed?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

welcome back rumpole and a deft piece of rounding off if I may say so

Comment

Agreed!

How deceptive appearances can be!

Will you, ed?
          Well, Well, I'm not one of you Three Wise Men and I could not have got the snow component in aeons, but... I'll have a go...soon!

Comment

Three 20th century W composers born in different continents, within their works are pieces with titles united by a word of 3 letters: one for 4 and played by 5, the 2nd of what for strings, and the third a song, the title of which ends with the 3-letter word.

Comment

Three 20th century W composers born in different continents, within their works are pieces with titles united by a word of 3 letters: one for 4 and played by 5, the 2nd of what for strings, and the third a song, the title of which ends with the 3-letter word.
              Were the three 20thC composers all born in that Century ed? All died in that century too? Webern, Warlock & Wuorinen out, I'm fairly sure. Edit: as far as the song goes.

Word is was or won?
              Last edited by Guest; 08-10-13, 14:42.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                Word is was or won?
                Or wad, wag, war, wax, way, web, wee, wet, why, wig, win, wit, woe, wry...

So just to get this clear, each composer's name starts with a W, but the actual W answer is the three letter word?
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

To clarify, the answer is all three composers' surnames, each starting with a "W". The three letter word connects their works but neither starts, ends, or indeed contains a W. It's not a trivial English word like "the", although it can be trivial in another European language that is used in all three titles.

I shall check but I think with possibly v. minor exceptions, virtually all the works of these three composers were composed during the 20th century.

Comment

My check has NOT revealed any works begun, continued or ended in the 21st century.

Comment

To clarify, the answer is all three composers' surnames, each starting with a "W".
                      So, are we looking for three composers called (for example) Wood, who each wrote a work with the word (for example) "Bed"?
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

The three letter word connects their works but neither starts, ends, or indeed contains a W. It's not a trivial English word like "the", although it can be trivial in another European language that is used in all three titles.
                        That rules out 'Tag' then (or not? )

Is of what for strings a big clue? Would it be possible to provide a nice clue about that three letter word? I think it is beyond most people to recall all three-letter-words-not-insignificant-in English-but-perhaps-so-in-another-language in titles of pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          So, are we looking for three composers called (for example) Wood, who each wrote a work with the word (for example) "Bed"?
                          The 3 W's are not identical - more like the 3W's in West Indian Cricket.

of what is a big clue.

The three letter word is French and starts two titles but ends the third. All the titles are in French but none of the composers was French. Two came from the northern hemisphere but the third was from the Southern.

All three composers were domiciled in a different continent from their continent of birth for a significant portion of adulthood.

I hope that helps a little.

Comment

MOST intriguing !!!

An elegant and ticklish puzzle. Sounds as if it can't be that hard (3 x 20thC 'W's?).... but it is!

Comment

MOST intriguing !!!

An elegant and ticklish puzzle. Sounds as if it can't be that hard (3 x 20thC 'W's?).... but it is!
                              6.57 Rumpole .......have the French invaded?

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                6.57 Rumpole .......have the French invaded?

Yes I'm guarding the Novelty Rock Emporium, Captain Mainwaring!

But I'm proper awake thanks to this puzzle. The Ws are "not identical" I see.... But AA is about a single word or name that is common to three clues... have we a variant here? Or do the Ws sound the same but are spelt differently, or vice versa?

Comment

Working...
                                X