• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
    FF...would you like to say why you think it's Henri Dutilleux?
    The currrrr-se of the internet! You try to follow up a single reference and the same one turns up over and over again, word for word, on endless sites... I was going by his love of palindromes, though I suppose they are musical palindromes rather than 'word games' as such.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      ......though I suppose they are musical palindromes rather than 'word games' as such.
      Exactly where I was coming from. It's so hard to come up with a devious question (well, at least it is for me).

So all we are left with is the 'sad' composer.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I will try not to think of the answer as I'm not sure I can get back here to put my 'I' link. Just about to succumb to the lurgy (flu/cold)
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Possibly Purcell (Dido's lament, Queen Mary funeral music etc) but then there's an equal amount of happy stuff.

Or maybe Duparc, his songs are invariably dark and introspective. :cool2:

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
            Possibly Purcell (Dido's lament, Queen Mary funeral music etc) but then there's an equal amount of happy stuff.
            And no H !!

but

Or maybe Duparc, his songs are invariably dark and introspective. :cool2:
            Henri Duparc Chanson Triste is bang on the money.

Not sure who's turn it is to go next !

Comment

• rubbernecker

And no H !!

but

Henri Duparc Chanson Triste is bang on the money.

Not sure who's turn it is to go next !
              Would never have got there without the "Henry" hint. So whoever it was who got to Henry first can set the next question.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

That'll be SCB then.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                  • Nov 2010

That'll be SCB then.
                  OK.

What I links Alfred Deller, Philip Langridge and Philip Moore?

Comment

• subcontrabass
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hercule
                    ? Invicta ?
                    Well done. They were all born in Kent - county motto Invicta.

Over to you for J.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Oh dear, sorry, that was a wild stab
                      You stab well, Grasshopper.

I thought it was a Kentish connection, although my source had Philip Moore as being born in London, although attending Maidstone Grammar along with Langridge (and scb?). I couldn't find where Deller went to school, though.

EDIT: In fact it appears there are two Philip Moores, both organists who attended Maidstone Grammar. One died earlier this year.

Comment

• Simon

I'm sorry Hercule, but how can anyone get this in a flash? How did you get to the Invicta answer so quickly for that matter? And very well done for having done so, too!!

The more I read, the more I realise how little I know. For example, I have never heard of two of the people you mention, never mind having any idea of what might link them! :-(
                        Last edited by Guest; 31-12-10, 16:41.

Comment

• rubbernecker

I think you'll get this in a flash, still no matter

What J connects Mishnaevski, Rautavaara and Kalichstein (to name but three)?
                          Juilliard pupils. Didn't know Monica Hugget and Steve Reich went there as well.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

I think you'll get this in a flash, still no matter

What J connects Mishnaevski, Rautavaara and Kalichstein (to name but three)?
                            juilliard, innit?

Comment

• subcontrabass
                              • Nov 2010

You stab well, Grasshopper.

I thought it was a Kentish connection, although my source had Philip Moore as being born in London, although attending Maidstone Grammar along with Langridge (and scb?). I couldn't find where Deller went to school, though.

EDIT: In fact it appears there are two Philip Moores, both organists who attended Maidstone Grammar. One died earlier this year.
                              One source (which I cannot now locate) gave Sittingbourne as the birthplace of Philip J Moore. Yes there were indeed two organ playing Philip Moores at Maidstone Grammar School when I was a very junior boy there. The other was Philip H H Moore.

Alfred Deller was born in Margate, and sang at the Parish Church there. None of the on-line biographies indicate any formal academic or musical education.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                                Alfred Deller was born in Margate, and sang at the Parish Church there. None of the on-line biographies indicate any formal academic or musical education.
                                Indeed, it is a mystery, is it not? The Wikipedia entry on Deller is surprisingly poor for such an important figure.

Comment

Working...
                                X