• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh! Alberto Ginastera was born in Buenos Aires, innit

Comment

Nice one son.

Hhhhhhhhhover to you
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

So that's Alberto Ginastera who was born in Buenos Aires, who wrote Glosses on Themes of Pablo Casals and who used Shelley's Beatrix Cenci as the basis of an opera.

What H links Orpheus in the Underworld, The Queen of Cyprus (praised by Wagner), and The Sheriff (praised by Berlioz)?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          What H links Orpheus in the Underworld, The Queen of Cyprus (praised by Wagner), and The Sheriff (praised by Berlioz)?
          Halevy?

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Halevy?
            Bingo! Care to say why or gissa coleslaw?

Comment

I think we may have 2 Halevys .....Ludovic who wrote the French text for Orpheus in the Underworld and Fromental with his Queen of Cyprus and Sheriff bringing the praise you mentioned

Comment

I think we may have 2 Halevys .....Ludovic who wrote the French text for Orpheus in the Underworld and Fromental with his Queen of Cyprus and Sheriff bringing the praise you mentioned
                Take It away anton

Comment

A witty gossiper who wrote the wiki entry on Halévy's family:
                  Halévy's wife, Léonie, who had experienced serious mental problems during their marriage, underwent a remarkable recovery after his death and became a talented sculptress. (She was 20 years younger than he.) Their daughter Genéviève married the composer Georges Bizet, who had been one of Halévy's pupils at the Conservatoire. After Bizet's death, and an alliance with Élie-Miriam Delaborde, the son of Charles-Valentin Alkan, Geneviève married a banker with Rothschild connections and became a leading Parisian hostess. Amongst the guests at her soirées was the young Marcel Proust, who used her as one of the models for the Duchesse de Guermantes in his epic In Search of Lost Time.
                  Halévy's brother was the writer and historian Léon Halévy, who wrote an early biography of his brother and was the father of Ludovic Halévy, librettist of many French operas, including Bizet's Carmen and Jacques Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld. Léon was also the father, by his mistress Lucinde Paradol, of the politician Lucien-Anatole Prévost-Paradol.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    A witty gossiper who wrote the wiki entry on Halévy's family:
                    Halévy's wife, Léonie, who had experienced serious mental problems during their marriage, underwent a remarkable recovery after his death and became a talented sculptress. (She was 20 years younger than he.) Their daughter Genéviève married the composer Georges Bizet, who had been one of Halévy's pupils at the Conservatoire. After Bizet's death, and an alliance with Élie-Miriam Delaborde, the son of Charles-Valentin Alkan, Geneviève married a banker with Rothschild connections and became a leading Parisian hostess. Amongst the guests at her soirées was the young Marcel Proust, who used her as one of the models for the Duchesse de Guermantes in his epic In Search of Lost Time.
                    Halévy's brother was the writer and historian Léon Halévy, who wrote an early biography of his brother and was the father of Ludovic Halévy, librettist of many French operas, including Bizet's Carmen and Jacques Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld. Léon was also the father, by his mistress Lucinde Paradol, of the politician Lucien-Anatole Prévost-Paradol.
                    I must check if there's a Halevy biography, they do sound to have been an entertaining group of people, although not immune to tragedy of course.

Comment

I am far from keen on I......

To link

Keyboard with poodles
                      Going My Way
                      Native New Yorker

Comment

I am far from keen on I......

To link

Keyboard with poodles
                        Going My Way
                        Native New Yorker
                        Totally lost, non-cryptic clues welcomed

Comment

We've gone to the cinema Ams.....

Comment

Keyboard with poodles
                            Nothing to do with Peppi and Pippo then?
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

No this was a pianist with canine friends....

Comment

No this was a pianist with canine friends....
                                But Peppi and Pippo were Horowitz's poodles

Last edited by Flay; 04-12-13, 11:54. Reason: Picture added
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X