X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Well, Y not? Let;s do it:

The composers of Paris, Greek Games and the Universe Symphony: Y are they connected?
    Now Charles Ives wrote the Universe Symphony. First thought that comes to mind is Yale. Did he go to Yale? Yes he did.

So are we looking for two other composers who went to Yale as well?

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      Now Charles Ives wrote the Universe Symphony.
      He did.

First thought that comes to mind is Yale. Did he go to Yale? Yes he did.
      Good first thought.

So are we looking for two other composers who went to Yale as well?
      Yes.

(Should be easy from now on - there weren't that many, surprisingly enough!)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

(Should be easy from now on - there weren't that many, surprisingly enough!)
        Well it's eluding me, possibly a job for mercia. Have learnt however that Alvin Lucier and George Lewis both went to Yale!

I feel as if I should know the name of the composer of Greek Games, it might come to me with another cup of tea.......

Comment

Well it's eluding me, possibly a job for mercia. Have learnt however that Alvin Lucier and George Lewis both went to Yale!

I feel as if I should know the name of the composer of Greek Games, it might come to me with another cup of tea.......
          Hang on hang on, are we talking about the Olympics? Michael Torke went to Yale and wrote music for the 1996 Games at Atlanta, when they still did things like that.

Comment

Well - just goes to show that, even in a hurry, I should never rely purely on Wiki for background research! <doe> Lucier and Torke would've been much more useful; the two remainders have nothing to do with any Olympics (as far as I know) - one a very famous man, the other a minor celebrity in his day who wrote two works that are quite well-known by reputation, but never performed today.

Comment

Douglas Stuart Moore (BA, BMus Yale) composed a ballet entitled Greek Games.

Comment

Cole Porter attended Yale and wrote a musical called Paris.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                  Douglas Stuart Moore (BA, BMus Yale) composed a ballet entitled Greek Games.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Cole Porter attended Yale and wrote a musical called Paris.

Coleslaw fairly straightforward, I think: the three composers of the works mentioned in the puzzle were all allumni of Yale University.

'eadjog there first with noble assistance from subby and Anna. Option of first refusal of the Z/A to hedgehog ...

Comment

Option of first refusal of the Z/A to hedgehog ...
                      How could I refuse?

Just two composers/music for a Z to be found here, possibly, singing in a boat on the way to Bawe Island?

Comment

Percy Grainger - Zanzibar Boat Song for piano six hands

erm, Mr Mercury famously was from Zanzibar but that is probably irrelevant. wikipedia says Aram Khachaturian's nephew Karen wrote a Zanzibar national anthem
                        Last edited by mercia; 11-01-14, 14:41.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          Percy Grainger - Zanzibar Boat Song for piano six hands

erm, Mr Mercury famously was from Zanzibar but that is probably irrelevant. wikipedia says Aram Khachaturian's nephew Karen wrote a Zanzibar national anthem
                          Grainger is correct !

Bawe Island is a clue, geographically speaking......

Drat - I could have had 4 Zanzibar's

Comment

Bawe Island is a clue, geographically speaking......
                            West of Zanzibar seems to be the name of two films, though not musically noteworthy

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              West of Zanzibar seems to be the name of two films, though not musically noteworthy
                              Alan Rawesthorne is a noteworthy composer imo however, and wrote the opening music to the 1926 (?) film.

So Accolades to mercia!

Comment

Alan Rawesthorne is a noteworthy composer imo however, and wrote the opening music to the 1926 (?) film.
                                blimey, I missed that don't know if wiki is confused, they say he wrote for Where No Vultures Fly too

Comment

Working...
                                X