• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Strauss and Arnold
    Indeed but has anyone said the B'ing word is this turning into a burlesque show....?
    Last edited by antongould; 01-03-14, 10:02.

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      Indeed but has anyone said the B'ing word is the turning into a burlesque show....?
      "Blimey" as cali may write, your Burlesque must be correct , thanks to a "lost" score!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Indeed but has anyone said the B'ing word is this turning into a burlesque show....?
        Oops - now you've gone and done it - brazen as a Toulouse-Lautrec poster! C what you'll have to do now!

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Oops - now you've gone and done it - brazen as a Toulouse-Lautrec poster! C what you'll have to do now!
          Oh well as it might be going to snow and mercs tends to be a little Coy......................a C to quickly link

Alan, Ludwig and Philip

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
            "Blimey" as cali may write, your Burlesque must be correct , thanks to a "lost" score!
            Forgive me. I had a busy day yesterday... However there is no coleslaw in sight. This Will Not Do.

You were all correct, the answer was Burlesque/ke:

Richard Strauss - Burleske For Piano And Orchestra In D Minor. For Anton, here is Glen playing it from memory.

Marked as extraneously difficult and even unplayable since its composition in 1886, Richard Strauss' Burleske for Piano and Orchestra rarely finds its way onto CD programs and even less frequently in live concert halls. Much like the extreme demands Strauss places on orchestral musicians, the technical feats called for in Burleske are truly Herculean; 10-note chords, huge leaps, enormous reaches, and rapid filigree passages fill the 20-plus minutes of music.
            It was written for Hans von Bülow, however:

von Bülow considered it a "complicated piece of nonsense" and refused to learn it. He said the piano part was "Lisztian" and "unplayable"

Havergal Brian - Burlesque Variations on an Original Theme - written in 1903 but only first performed in 1980

Malcolm Arnold - Burlesque for horn and orchestra , an unfinished work from 1944 which was only discovered in 2001 by Alan Poulton.

the manuscript was discovered among a pile of other sketches during one of my many visits to the composer’s home in the winter of 2001. Many of the pages of the ink full score had separated, were out of order and interleaved with a pencil short score but once I had located the title page the re-assembly of the full score was relatively simple. I never found the the last two pages of the full score but these were reconstructed from the complete short score by Philip Lane (who also edited the work for its world premiere, to be given by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at the Arnold Festival on October 22, 2006). The score showed signs of incompleteness and haste - there were several passages with indications of "filling-in" to be completed plus many amendments in red crayon and pencil - Arnold’s ‘call-up’ may well have put an end to his initial burst of creativity that summer!
            Well I found the research for that B very interesting. Which is what AA is about. And it led me to this about Glen Gould: "Genius within - The inner life of Glenn Gould"

Long live AA!!!
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Oh well as it might be going to snow and mercs tends to be a little Coy......................a C to quickly link

Alan, Ludwig and Philip
              Any feline connection?

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Any feline connection?
                Categorically not on the card....

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                  Forgive me. I had a busy day yesterday... However there is no coleslaw in sight. This Will Not Do.

You were all correct, the answer was Burlesque/ke:

Richard Strauss - Burleske For Piano And Orchestra In D Minor. For Anton, here is Glen playing it from memory.

It was written for Hans von Bülow, however:

Havergal Brian - Burlesque Variations on an Original Theme - written in 1903 but only first performed in 1980

Malcolm Arnold - Burlesque for horn and orchestra , an unfinished work from 1944 which was only discovered in 2001 by Alan Poulton.

Well I found the research for that B very interesting. Which is what AA is about. And it led me to this about Glen Gould: "Genius within - The inner life of Glenn Gould"
                  Many apologies to you Flay and also to Anna and all other coleslaw lovers, standards, indeed, must be maintained. Thank you for the GG link - wonderful virtuosity IMHO....

Long live AA!!!
                  Many apologies to you Flay and to Anna and all coleslaw lovers standards have to be maintained...

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

......and thanks for the GG link scary virtuosity ...

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

You're welcome!
                      Last edited by Flay; 01-03-14, 22:08.
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

The C is a symphonic link.....

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Alan Rawsthorne and Ludwig Beethoven wrote Symphonies with a country dance movement.
                          Ludwig Beethoven and Philip Glass wrote choral symphonies.

Comment

• Flay
                            • Mar 2007

Well in that case it could be Choral...?
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

Oops, I missed cloughie's post.

Don't forget Alan Hovhaness
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

It could indeed be Choral......

Comment