X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
    Yes, that's the one!

Mendelssohn, aged 16, and a singspiel rather than a fully-fledged opera. (Seecond Staged production, Oxford , 1987)

And the trumpet concerto, Anton?

It could be the "decider"
    Weinberg's?

Comment

Yes, that's the one!

Mendelssohn, aged 16, and a singspiel rather than a fully-fledged opera. (Seecond Staged production, Oxford , 1987)

And the trumpet concerto, Anton?

It could be the "decider"
      Within a year or two of writing the "opera"', its composer wrote another, more popular, work that is quoted in the tr. conc..
      Hmm... Die Hochzeit des Camacho first performed in 1827, the "Wedding March" composed in 1842 - "a year or two" ???

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
        Hmm... Die Hochzeit des Camacho first performed in 1827, the "Wedding March" composed in 1842 - "a year or two" ???
        Originally posted by antongould View Post
        Weinberg's?
        Well ,the good point about AA is that one learns new stuff.

Yes, scb, you're right and [/B] ]I was wrong about Mendelssohn's Wedding March[/B]. I knew that the Overture to MND had been written when FM was 17 and, wrongly, assumed that the incidental music was composed at the same time, partly because the two components share a similar style and idiom. I hope that you spotted my error before it inhibited your ability to answer the question. Please accept my apologies.

Now... who deserves to be awarded the X-rated question? There are three of you in this solution and I'd better review your contributions before making my recommendation.

Meanwhile, congratulations to all three of you for I did labour to make W a tad obscure.

To expand a little on Anton's answer for the Trumpet Concerto. Weinberg's finale is a veritable feast of quotations. I've taken this from a programme note for an American Symphony Orchestra Concert:

The concluding “Fanfares” follow without a break. The movement opens with a paradoxical accompanied cadenza, which punningly quotes fanfares from Mahler’s Fifth Symphony, the “Wedding March” from Mendelssohn’s incidental music for A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Rimsky-Korsakov’s operas The Tale of Tsar Saltan and The Golden Cockerel, the “Chœur des gamins” from Bizet’s Carmen, and Stravinsky’s Petrushka, blending in references to the opening Etudes [ the concerto's first movement] . Elements of all these ideas haunt the hobbling waltz that seems destined to provide the main material of the finale but which somehow never gets past its nervy testing of the water...

Comment

It was flay who cracked the question open and whilst he and I skirted around Wedding for a while using "nuptial" as a decoy, he did solve the Battersea / Orlando limb of the question - I assumed that he'd identified the ballet as his picture was captioned "Pas de Deux".

Anton fleshed out the ballet, identified the Mendelssohn singspiel and suggested the Weinberg without stating why.

Scb confirmed Mendelssohn's Wedding March despite my false hint that it had been composed a year after Comacho's Wedding.

Any decision will fail to reward the excellent contributions of the other two, but for his initial work in Battersea coupled with the early prediction that Wedding would be The Word, I'm going to nominate flay to produce the X-factor.

Meanwhile, I'm going to a Mendelssohn Boot Camp run by scb where Abbado's recordings of the Mendelssohn symphonies will be played whilst I'm flayed.

Comment

Yes you do indeed learn so much.....excellent question - I was a shovel after Flay's Lord Mayor's Parade. Looking forward to his X/Y/Z/A......

Comment

I'm going to nominate flay to produce the X-factor.
              I'll get on to it, but I may exchew the X

Meanwhile, I'm going to a Mendelssohn Boot Camp run by scb where Abbado's recordings of the Mendelssohn symphonies will be played whilst I'm flayed.
              Enjoy!
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post

Enjoy!
                "OUCH!" I'm Marsyas to your Apollo, flay.

Comment

Skipping on, but Y I do not know...

A close encounter with a baron on the fiddle, voluptuous through the hours of darkness.

There are two endings to this Y, like a siren
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Skipping on, but Y I do not know...

A close encounter with a baron on the fiddle, voluptuous through the hours of darkness.

There are two endings to this Y, like a siren
                    Yehuda Hanani: Artistic Director of "Close Encounters with Music"
                    Baron Yehudi Menuhin played the fiddle
                    Yehudi Wyner composed On This Most Voluptuous Night for Soprano and Orchestra

Comment

Well done subby! Waz zat too eazy?
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Didn't Yehu do well subby!

Comment

Well done subby! Waz zat too eazy?
                          Not too easy. The first one took a bit of searching for.

If we skip Z can we find an A to link St Matthew Passion, Christmas Oratorio, and Stabat Mater ?

Comment

Not too easy. The first one took a bit of searching for.

If we skip Z can we find an A to link St Matthew Passion, Christmas Oratorio, and Stabat Mater ?
                            Congratulations - no time to blink when You're about!

On your A- could we be talking of A member of a tribe, I wonder?

Comment

Congratulations - no time to blink when You're about!

On your A- could we be talking of A member of a tribe, I wonder?
                              No tribe involved that I am aware of.

Comment

No tribe involved that I am aware of.
                                Thanks, sub, the list of Alessandro's works is so long that I was getting fatigued after scoring two out of three.

Comment

Working...
                                X