This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
    Members of Thorin's company of dwarves in The Hobbit ???
    Sorry for the intermission- I've been absent rehearsing & conducting a Deanery Evensong. For once, the [ packed ] congregation outnumbered my Choir of 16. And that in a church that's on a private estate, inaccessible by car. The acoustics of the shoebox Georgian structure are choral heaven on earth.

Ah, yes, at last, you're a stealthy operator, scb. "Song of the Dwarves"

Who dares, wins, I suppose. Mercs probably gave Anton too much of leg-up with his Zemlinsky reference, Anton proceeded to tidy the first two legs but, I presume, isn't so happy beyond the bounds of music, leaving scb to complete the effort. But... for grim determination, I think Anton deserves to effloresce and surprise us with his knowledge of E-words, and, who knows , E-numbers

Comment

E by Gum what an honour .....................it will probably be this evening................

Comment

An E to connect

Antoine
        Michael and
        William......

amongst others.....

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          An E to connect

Antoine
          Michael and
          William......

amongst others.....
          Antoine suggests the possibility of Antoine Brumel and his Earthquake mass but I'm stumped on Michael & William (that John WilliamS wrote music for the film Earthquake is merely a distraction).

Comment

It is the Earthquake Mass but scarily that is not the E......

Comment

Phew!

That should make it Easier... Ecce - in the sense of BEHOLD ( no, not the Sea, WW / RVW).

Too tired to go further tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                Phew!

That should make it Easier... Ecce - in the sense of BEHOLD ( no, not the Sea, WW / RVW).

Too tired to go further tonight.
                Good call I reckon Ed.

But there are lots of people who wrote music to Latin texts starting with Ecce. Michael Haydn and William Byrd perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  Good call I reckon Ed.

But there are lots of people who wrote music to Latin texts starting with Ecce. Michael Haydn and William Byrd perhaps?
                  Yes, Hedgie, although Anton added "amongst others", ecce ( in its several meanings) opens up a raft of composers so large that they'd need the largest of cruise liners. Some of them have two or more tickets to board!

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                    Yes, Hedgie, although Anton added "amongst others", ecce ( in its several meanings) opens up a raft of composers so large that they'd need the largest of cruise liners. Some of them have two or more tickets to board!
                    Sorry not ecce much more seasonal.....

Comment

Sorry not ecce much more seasonal.....
                      Oh I did wonder about Easter but then that'll be a translation from Latin? ( I have another e word up my sleeve but I'm keeping it just in case it's not because it's a good one for a puzzle)

Comment

Oh I did wonder about Easter but then that'll be a translation from Latin? ( I have another e word up my sleeve but I'm keeping it just in case it's not because it's a good one for a puzzle)
                        Easter it is ......and the other names....?

Comment

Easter it is ......and the other names....?
                          Well, where do we start: William Byrd Victimae paschali?

Comment

Well, where do we start: William Byrd Victimae paschali?

Indeed and Michael.......

Comment

Indeed and Michael.......
                              Praetorius? Haydn? Bedford?

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                                Praetorius? Haydn? Bedford?
                                The former .......so to Hedgehog the F I think.......

Comment

Working...
                                X