X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
    Anna,

Apologies for spelling your name the Spanish way in my last post. The "N" key on this keyboard has a tendency to stick. BTW, is there a Welsh variant of Anna?

Still clueless about Q.
    No, don't think there is a Welsh form. Did you know that it's the name of one of King Arthur's sisters? (Just a bit of trivia) So, there are a total of 5 clues now! The third and fourth are by the same German composer. Unfortunately I really have to be offline now and out of the building until around 1.45 so will leave you to ponder but I don't need all 5 solving!

Comment

ARe we looking for a bunch of Queens? Purcell wrote an ode for Queen Mary's birthday...and the Arrival of the (very dark) Queen of Sheba?

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
        ARe we looking for a bunch of Queens? Purcell wrote an ode for Queen Mary's birthday...and the Arrival of the (very dark) Queen of Sheba?
        Yes, we are looking for Queens! You have correctly the arrival of the Queen of Sheba (Handel), the Ode could indeed be Purcell (although I have a different Ode), and the 'isn't she dark' referred to another Queen. Have you any thoughts about either the Soldiers or the Dance?

Comment

Dancing Queen - The Queen of the Night - The Soldiers of the Queen? (Back just after 3.00 p.m.)

Comment

Dancing Queen - The Queen of the Night - The Soldiers of the Queen? (Back just after 3.00 p.m.)
            Soldiers of the Queen (Stuart) or alternatively The Soldiers of our Queen (G&S) is correct. The other two Queens aren't what I was thinking but you've solved it so no need to worry about the other two I think which were Queen Louise's Waltz (Lumbye) and Queen of Spades (she's dark!) by Tchaikovsky.

Apologies for a bit of a feeble (i.e. not cryptic) puzzle

So over to Ofca for a Rousing R
            Last edited by Guest; 01-04-11, 15:31.

Comment

Hope to have 'R' ready by 1630 hours.

Comment

A one-eyed Negro Jew; an American In Paris; the composer of the Nutcracker Suite; and a group named after some waterfalls (or was it a chain of American mountains?) all recorded numbers in which R forms part of the title. Who are or were these people, and what is R?

Comment

I think I can get three of these but the Nutcracker is eluding me for the moment, I suspect that may be a slightly technical answer but would the answer be rhythm?

Comment

Yes, indeed, my Welsh friend with the brain the size of a small planet, the link is 'rhythm'! The Nutcracker Suite in question was inspired by/based on the one by that Russian chap who was convinced his head was going to fall off! From where I'm sitting, the clues increase in difficulty, so I shall be interested not only in your answers but in how you arrived at them. It looks as though you may well have earned the right to set 'S', in any event. Would you therefore care to expound on the three you've probably got and have a stab at the fourth before the baton is ceremoniously passed?

Comment

Yes, indeed, my Welsh friend with the brain the size of a small planet, the link is 'rhythm'! The Nutcracker Suite in question was inspired by/based on the one by that Russian chap who was convinced his head was going to fall off! From where I'm sitting, the clues increase in difficulty, so I shall be interested not only in your answers but in how you arrived at them. It looks as though you may well have earned the right to set 'S', in any event. Would you therefore care to expound on the three you've probably got and have a stab at the fourth before the baton is ceremoniously passed?
                      Well, I have to confess (to my everlasting shame I expect) that I am a fan of Sammy Davis Jnr, (and The Rat Pack) so Rhythm of Life was easy, also a fan of old movies and Gene Kelly, so An American in Paris and I Got Rhythm was obvious. The third, The Oak Ridge Boys and Rhythm Guitar (I got sidetracked a bit with the Rocky Mountains for a bit) was a memory of a friend who liked it. The Nutcracker has me bamboolzed and I cannot find a rhythm based on a Tchaikovsky at all I am afraid so dying to know what it is

Edit: It wouldn't be someone like Spike Jones? Fred Waring or Harry Simeone? No, still lost on this
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-04-11, 20:11.

Comment

Only 2 out of 4 (Sammy Davis Jr. and Gene Kelly), I'm afraid. One of the other two is from the world of pop and the other from the world of jazz. The composer of the Nutcrcaker Suite composed many hundreds of other pieces, one of the most famous of which includes 'Rhythm' in the title.

Comment

Only 2 out of 4 (Sammy Davis Jr. and Gene Kelly), I'm afraid. One of the other two is from the world of pop and the other from the world of jazz. The composer of the Nutcrcaker Suite composed many hundreds of other pieces, one of the most famous of which includes 'Rhythm' in the title.
                          Phew!! What a relief, means I don't have to set another one!! I hand over the solution to others.

Comment

Think of a generic synonym for 'waterfalls'....

Comment

Is the jazz one the CJQ 'Oriental Rhythm' ? (Chinese Dance) that has Ron Carter?

Edit: The Cascades 'Rhythm of the Falling Rain' ?
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-04-11, 21:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                Is the jazz one the CJQ 'Oriental Rhythm' ? (Chinese Dance) that has Ron Carter?

Edit: The Cascades 'Rhythm of the Falling Rain' ?
                                Bingo! That's the third one. (The Cascades are a mountain range in the Western United States).
                                A final clue to the fourth answer: This 'titled' jazz composer and performer was Rocking with R.
                                ...and the 'S' is yours!

Comment

Working...
                                X