X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
    Bingo! That's the third one. (The Cascades are a mountain range in the Western United States).
    A final clue to the fourth answer: This 'titled' jazz composer and performer was Rocking with R.
    ...and the 'S' is yours!
    You mean Duke Ellington? I knew he did Nutcracker but couldn't find a 'Rhythm' That was fun, although not as easy as it first looked! Re Ron Carter, I bought a cd once in a charity shop entitled Ron Carter plays Bach. OMG, it was so dire it went straight back to another charity shop!

OK, this is a bit like Ofca’s last (and hopefully better than my last bunch of Queens!) which is composers but with one linked word for the first three clues.

So, there is a S which links a madrigal scored for 5 voices by one of our finest, based on a legend, also scored in 1949 by an American composer. (You may like to think Clytemnestra and Cassandra if we are being obscure or you might like to think of Plato – nothing on the telly after all is there this time of night?)

An Opera by an English composer who has been at the heart of a recent controversy.

A ‘fairy-tale’ banned by the Nazis after 16 performances

And, for good measure, by name only, not a composer but an iconic TV hero and his trusty companion and an American jazz pianist and composer (although you won’t need these additional clues)

It's late, I don't expect any answers tonight, although it's easy I think and I'm off to bed.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-04-11, 22:54. Reason: added info

Comment

• Angle
      • Dec 2010

Argentum ?

Here comes a first try with an S response.

The constituents seem to be:

Orlando Gibbons wrote a five-voice madrigal, “The ------ Swan which was worked over much later by the American, Lori Laitman, of whom I know nothing;
      A work of Kurt Weill's, "The ------ Lake", was banned by the Nazi’s after just sixteen performances;
      The Lone Ranger's companion should really have led to Tonto but a diversion takes us to his trusted white steed whose name he called out at the beginning of every episode;
      Mark Antony Turnage whose opera, "Anna Nicole" recently received its premier had earlier success with an opera based on the story, “A ------ Tassie" by James Joyce and
      a very happy looking American, Horace ------ began his career as a saxophonist but became an outstanding jazz pianist.

Ah, the link seems to be "silver".

Actually, the Weill work was called “Der Silbersee

Phew.

Don, who always stays up late in Liverpool.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Angle View Post
        Here comes a first try with an S response.

The constituents seem to be:

Orlando Gibbons wrote a five-voice madrigal, “The ------ Swan which was worked over much later by the American, Lori Laitman, of whom I know nothing;
        A work of Kurt Weill's, "The ------ Lake", was banned by the Nazi’s after just sixteen performances;
        The Lone Ranger's companion should really have led to Tonto but a diversion takes us to his trusted white steed whose name he called out at the beginning of every episode;
        Mark Antony Turnage whose opera, "Anna Nicole" recently received its premier had earlier success with an opera based on the story, “A ------ Tassie" by James Joyce and
        a very happy looking American, Horace ------ began his career as a saxophonist but became an outstanding jazz pianist.

Ah, the link seems to be "silver".

Actually, the Weill work was called “Der Silbersee

Phew.

Don, who always stays up late in Liverpool.
        As a Londoner who also stays up late (specially at weekends), I'll see your "phew", Don, and raise you a "wow"! You swept the board there, no need to wait for Anna to confirm...

Very nice one indeed, and doubly brilliant to see someone new here

Cheers to you and hope you're already working on some hot T for the troops tomorrow
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Angle View Post
          Here comes a first try with an S response
          Indeed, well done Don and welcome to this thread as well!! Absolutely correct except the reworking of the Gibbons that I had was by Ned Rorem for high voice and piano, not Lori Laitman (whom I've never heard of)

So we do indeed look forward to your T I like your avatar btw.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Welcome to somebody who is clearly a very acute Angle . Looking forward to further contributions. (I'll try to be less obtuse than I have in the past. )

Comment

• Tapiola
              • Jan 2011

Perhaps you are just being reflexive in your judgement, Ofca?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                Welcome to somebody who is clearly a very acute Angle . Looking forward to further contributions. (I'll try to be less obtuse than I have in the past. )
                Ofca!! Honestly! I'm surprised you didn't point out how right angle was...

I'll get my breakfast...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                  Perhaps you are just being reflexive in your judgement, Ofca?

We were both thinking furiously at the same instant!! Sad, isn't it?!?

Comment

• Tapiola
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Sad, isn't it?!?
                    Yes, quite telepathetic.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Don, please don't be put off by all our dodgy pun-making on your pseudo! (Wonder why you are "Angle"? Is there a story?)

Do come in and take the laurels and when you're ready, give us some good strong T

Comment

• Anna

Don, please don't be put off by all our dodgy pun-making on your pseudo! (Wonder why you are "Angle"? Is there a story?)

Do come in and take the laurels and when you're ready, give us some good strong T
                        Indeed, and don't worry about the 'level' of crypticness in your puzzle, they range from the quite frankly easy-peasy which can be solved in 3 seconds by a certain of our number to the quite almost
                        bizarrely incomprehensible (as in Caliban's surreal 'E') Whatever anyone posts we all enjoy having a try in solving it.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          the quite almost bizarrely incomprehensible (as in Caliban's surreal 'E')
                          I thank you *bows*

Comment

• Anna

I thank you *bows*
                            You're welcome ducky, but don't let it go to your head!!

I might as well just say, whilst we wait (and there is no rush Angle) that I won't be participating in the next few puzzles as I have a lot to do (HMRC need a strict talking to!), I have offered to cook a small banquet tonight and then I am off on holidays for 10 days with no internet access. But, I'll be watching you lot with interest.

Comment

• Angle
                              • Dec 2010

I am sorry about the lateness of the day but the late night meant a late start .

Not all the clues are musical but they all have T in common, directly or indirectly - and I hope that they are not too obscure.

A striking feature in a fairy tale ballet

A mass of trouble for timpanists

A young person who first saw the light of day on 19 March 1944 as a result of encouragement from Benjamin Britten.

A constant mechanical or electronic instrument useful for players wanting to check their pulse/s,

A series of dramas by a one-time writer of radio postscripts.

T ?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

There's an angle to most stories. (OK, I'll stop now. Honest.)

Comment

Working...
                                X