• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubbernecker

Originally posted by hercule
    Well done (patronising tone), your turn
    Now, now, don't get huffy...

K question: Three brothers (yes, they are all musical and not drug-traffickers or sportsmen) whose names begin with S, B and W. Of the three, S is the most famous.

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      Indeed, it is a mystery, is it not? The Wikipedia entry on Deller is surprisingly poor for such an important figure.
      I assume that he must have just attended a local elementary school, possibly St John's, Margate, which was linked to the Parish Church. My father, who attended that church at that time and heard him then as a treble and alto, never mentioned him going to any notable school. My father's youngest brother, who was an exact contemporary of Alfred Deller, and went to the local grammar school (Chatham House, Ramsgate), never mentioned him in that connection.

Grove Music Online gives no further information. The impression is that he learnt largely on the job, singing initially in parish churches, and then in cathedral choirs from 1940 (when he was already 28).

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Sigiswald, Wieland and Barthold Kuijken.
        Last edited by Guest; 31-12-10, 17:29. Reason: Corrected spelling of surname

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
          Sigiswald, Wieland and Barthold Kuijken.
          Like an Exocet missile, Ofcachap. Well done! Give us L.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

They died, in reverse order, aged 41, 66 and 80, having been born within 10 years of one another in .... ?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

A clue: the first of these three people born in L......., who was the last of the three to die, just missed the Victorian era.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Try the other end of the Victorian era! Two of the three were born during one king's (fairly short) reign, and the third early in his successor's reign.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I wouldn't like this to drag on into 2011 ....so....the initials of the three people concerned are WW, AR and KF.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                    • Nov 2010

I wouldn't like this to drag on into 2011 ....so....the initials of the three people concerned are WW, AR and KF.
                    William Walton, Alan Rawsthorne, Kathleen Ferrier - all born in Lancashire.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Yes indeed. Their respective dates were 1902-1983, 1905-1971 and 1912-1953. Over to you - and a Happy New Year to all contributors!

Comment

• subcontrabass
                        • Nov 2010

Yes indeed. Their respective dates were 1902-1983, 1905-1971 and 1912-1953. Over to you - and a Happy New Year to all contributors!
                        Happy New Year to all.

Here is the first teaser for 2011.

What M links an English harpsichordist, a Scottish theorist, and a Cuban composer?

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Happy New Year to you all.

Would it be Michael or Miguel?

English harpsichordist - Michael Thomas or Michael Arne

Scottish theorist - Michael Gardiner perhaps Michael Donnelly

Cuban composer - Miguel Ojeda Díaz

Comment

• subcontrabass
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                            Happy New Year to you all.

Would it be Michael or Miguel?

English harpsichordist - Michael Thomas or Michael Arne

Scottish theorist - Michael Gardiner perhaps Michael Donnelly

Cuban composer - Miguel Ojeda Díaz
                            No, and there is no variation in the spelling.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                              Happy New Year to all.

Here is the first teaser for 2011.

What M links an English harpsichordist, a Scottish theorist, and a Cuban composer?
                              Trying to apply thought to solving this has only exacerbated my new year's day hangover and put me in a stabbing mood: Malcolm? (For 'Cuban' I was thinking of the slow movement of Macolm Arnold's guitar concerto)

Happy New Year!

Comment

• subcontrabass
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                                Trying to apply thought to solving this has only exacerbated my new year's day hangover and put me in a stabbing mood: Malcolm? (For 'Cuban' I was thinking of the slow movement of Macolm Arnold's guitar concerto)

Happy New Year!
                                Getting warm. The Cuban-born composer is, as far as I am aware, still alive.

Comment

Working...
                                X