This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born

May I start the ball rolling by referring to J B Priestley's Time plays?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
      May I start the ball rolling by referring to J B Priestley's Time plays?
      Well, the 1944 would be Tippett's Child of our Time then? And I now bow out (gosh, this thread is just so addictive!)

edit: Whoops, Ofca and I had a simultaneous just then!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The answer to the third part is, I think, Tippett's 'Child Of Our Time'

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Anna - you're so quick on the draw! You wouldn't be a member of the Oakley clan, by any chance, would you?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Whoops, Ofca and I had a simultaneous just then!
            ...after you promised me it would be our little secret!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

In the words of Julian (or was it Sandy?): "Traitor!!!! You swore you'd never tell!!"

Er-hem

Back to this great question: the 'timpanists' element of the question I think refers to Haydn's "Paukenmesse" - the "Kettledrum Mass" whose subtitle is Missa in Tempore Bello - Mass in Time of War.

But it's all thanks to Ofca unlocking the common Time factor
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

But, Ofca, it was so unexpected!

Honestly, I will now retreat to the kitchen (got some creme brulee to think about) and leave you guys to it!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Score flash (subject to confirmation): Ofca 1, Anna 1, Caliban 1. Let's hope it doesn't go to penalties! The weather is so nice that I simply MUST log off for a while, go out and enjoy the fresh air. Feel free to knock off the remaining elements of Angle's excellent poser!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Score flash (subject to confirmation): Ofca 1, Anna 1, Caliban 1. Let's hope it doesn't go to penalties! The weather is so nice that I simply MUST log off for a while, go out and enjoy the fresh air. Feel free to knock off the remaining elements of Angle's excellent poser!
                    Ofca you are ahead with the advantage of having rumbled that it's about Time

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Ofca you are ahead with the advantage of having rumbled that it's about Time
                      Yes, Ofca is certainly ahead, I just stumbled in because, as is my wont, I am a bit of a show off so, as I said, I'll leave you boys to play and solve it. My lips are now sealed.

Comment

• Angle
                        • Dec 2010

Well done to Anna, Caliban and Orca. Three clues solved so quickly but two to go.

Must now at least feel the heat of the sun now shining brightly on Liverpool. See you later, as they say.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          My lips are now sealed.
                          Mine wouldn't be if I were within swiping distance of your crèmes brûlées

My favourite!!!!

The weather is terrific down here too - so nice to have all the windows and the doors open, and not freeze, plus the scents of blossom and cut grass drifting in

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Mine wouldn't be if I were within swiping distance of your crèmes brûlées

My favourite!!!!

I know that ducks, but the crèmes brûlées are to be jettisoned as they did not marry with the starter of grilled goats cheese, cherry toms, mixed leaves and a sprinkling of balsamic. One can, it is the on-dit in the Welsh Mountains, not have a dairy starter and dessert. Ruins the palate, doncha' know?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I'm assuming that your generosity when it comes to the 'Time' question has nothing to do with any (lack of) willingness on your part to set 'U'. As it happens, I haven't made further progress. 'Timekeeper' seems too obvious for one of the remaining two. There are timepieces in 'L'Heure Espagnole', but that's not a fairy tale, and something in 'L'Enfant et les Sortilèges' that says 'tic toc' or something similar....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

I'm assuming that your generosity when it comes to the 'Time' question has nothing to do with any (lack of) willingness on your part to set 'U'. As it happens, I haven't made further progress. 'Timekeeper' seems too obvious for one of the remaining two. There are timepieces in 'L'Heure Espagnole', but that's not a fairy tale, and something in 'L'Enfant et les Sortilèges' that says 'tic toc' or something similar....
                                Indeed no. I just can't make any inroads into the remaining parts, and Anna has her non-dairy dessert to worry about, Heaven forfend that the fines-gueules of the Welsh Mountains should be discombobulated

I too thought of those two Ravel pieces, but they are all clocks (the grandfather clock in 'L'Enfant' for instance) and I couldn't get a T even though all are to do with time of course. I was thinking if Father Time appears anywhere, but I don't know that he does....

PS while writing, ofca, didn't you think that the revelation that the grinning bloke, who's dating Audrey's mate, is a transvestite was rather odd and gratuitous?

Comment

Working...
                                X