This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Angle View Post
    Spiral III was as bloody as both of the earlier series and the director seems to have the The Killing idea of filming most things in natural light. Thank goodness it is a brighter in Paris than in Copenhagen - less of a strain for the eyes. It has all the usual complications. Fascinating.
    Angle, I've never seen either of those, nor Wallender but people do seem to rave. Are they very violent or is it more psychological and twisted?

Comment

Good morning everyone! Just a few parish notices before getting on with U:
      Caliban:
      (1)The concert was OK - like most choirs, The Dorians are short of tenors and basses, and the organ wasn't really up to the job. On the plus side, we particularly enjoyed the Vaughan Williams '5 Mystical Songs', the Mozart Missa Brevis K192, and the strings' rendition of the Purcell Chaconne.
      (2) Jim's up to something, so he is.
      Anna: Wallander is unremittingly grim, rather than violent.
      And now for a non-classical U:
      Where were Jimmie and his Band headed in the late 1930s, Althea and Donna in the late 1970s and Billy in the early 1980s? (Pet was headed in the opposite direction in the mid-1960s).

Comment

Upton-upon-Severn?

Comment

He/she wasn't headed (unless Wayne Rooney headbutted him/her). He/she was "heading". Sorry to be so pedantic, but it annoys me so much when they sya the same on Radio Humberside, nearly every morning on the traffic news.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            Upton-upon-Severn?
            what, not even close?

well, how about uptown?

Comment

Jimmie (was he poisoned?) Lunsford - Uptown Blues
              Althea & Donna - Uptown Top Ranking, 1977
              Billy Joel - Uptown Girl(s)
              Pet Clark - Downtown

Comment

[QUOTE=mercia;43781]what, not even close?

well, how about uptown?[/QUOTE]
                Please elucidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  He/she wasn't headed (unless Wayne Rooney headbutted him/her). He/she was "heading". Sorry to be so pedantic, but it annoys me so much when they sya the same on Radio Humberside, nearly every morning on the traffic news.
                  Some of the people involved in this question may well have been 'headed', seeing as they live(d) a long way from the Humber.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ofcachap;43784]
                    what, not even close?

well, how about uptown?[/QUOTE]
                    Please elucidate.
                    I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago

Comment

Jimmie (was he poisoned?) Lunceford - Uptown Blues
                      Althea & Donna - Uptown Top Ranking, 1977
                      Billy Joel - Uptown Girl(s)
                      Pet Clark - Downtown
                      You've certainly done enough to earn the right to set 'V'!
                      Jimmie Lunceford 1939, Billie Joel 1983, Petula Clark 1965.

Comment

And, wouldn't someone normally say "he headed towards his car" ??

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          And, wouldn't someone normally say "he headed towards his car" ??
                          I think the objection is to the usage 'is/was headed', which is possibly more common - even if still incorrect - 'over the pond'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                            Jimmie Lunceford
                            beg pardon, I don't know how that happened
                            back to classical for V I'm afraid, but I won't detain you for long

V to connect please

- the Montagnana from West Hartlepool
                            - Martin Penny's 'partner'
                            - Smetana's unfinished

Comment

Good heavens! U has been and gone and I have only been out of bed for an hour so we're on to V :

Wasn't Smetana's unfinished opera Viola?
                              Viola and West Hartlepool have a link through the great Lionel Tertis.
                              Will have to do a little thinking about Martin Penny but it looks as though he could have had something to do with a Viola of one sort or another.

Comment

very well done Angle
                                nice to see you up and about
                                2 out of 3, you'll soon have the W question to set

Comment

Working...
                                X