X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by Angle View Post
    I shall sit back indoors under looming clouds and the chill of coming rain - well, I am in LIverpool
    Don't say that Angle - I'll be in Liverpool next Saturday for the first time ever, please make the sun shine!

That was an excellent puzzle, the last piece confounded me, I was thinking of every Welsh Williams (including Grace Williams of course) and well done mercia for solving it all.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

I + sawmill = Williams

I can't do clever crypto clues like you chaps, so it will have to be a boring X

as and when

Comment

• Angle
        • Dec 2010

Excellent, Mercia.

Now, out with the knives (or the axe) for the X

Comment

• Angle
          • Dec 2010

Anna, I am sure you will be surprised by Liverpool - it is much better than it seems before you get here. You will see why the expression "Manchester Man, Liverpool Gentleman" still infuriates the Mancunians.

Will you have time to go to a concert ?

On Saturday at 7.30pm, we have Mendelssohn's "The Wedding of Camacho" which the blurb describes as an uproarious opera, not that I know it at all.

Liverpool Philharmonic Hall with Petrenko conducting.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

...the expression "Manchester Man, Liverpool Gentleman" still infuriates the Mancunians.
            I'll say it does. But you are right in suggesting that Liverpool is a far better place than people think. Some of my greatest musical experiences were in that city - the first time I saw a live orchestra was the RLPO in rehearsal on a Saturday afternoon.

Comment

• Anna

Anna, I am sure you will be surprised by Liverpool - it is much better than it seems before you get here. You will see why the expression "Manchester Man, Liverpool Gentleman" still infuriates the Mancunians.

Will you have time to go to a concert ?
              Angle, it will be but a fleeting visit. I'll be staying North of Manchester with relatives but they have a pre-arranged tour with children of Anfield so they'll drop me off in Liverpool and I am in two minds to go to the Docks and the Liverpool Tate or venture into the two Cathedrals and City centre, I wonder what you would suggest the best option?

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

this breaks all the rules of this game but hopefully the stasi aren't looking in

one clue, one-word answer

X

why are you singing to that plane tree?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  Angle, it will be but a fleeting visit. I'll be staying North of Manchester with relatives but they have a pre-arranged tour with children of Anfield so they'll drop me off in Liverpool and I am in two minds to go to the Docks and the Liverpool Tate or venture into the two Cathedrals and City centre, I wonder what you would suggest the best option?
                  I do hope you're not escaping from Wales just because the lady wife and I are dropping in for a few days. (We're staying in Llandrindod Wells and doing touristy things like going down The Big Pit, tasting Welsh whisky and taking a trip on the Cambrian Coast railway).

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                    I do hope you're not escaping from Wales just because the lady wife and I are dropping in for a few days. (We're staying in Llandrindod Wells and doing touristy things like going down The Big Pit, tasting Welsh whisky and taking a trip on the Cambrian Coast railway).
                    Well, now that you mention it ....... No, this trip was arranged a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been down Big Pit for ages but it's very good. My g-g-grandpa was an ostler in a colliery tending to the pit ponies. The little trains of Wales are great (Toot! Toot!) I hope you and Mrs. Ofca have a lovely time and the weather will be kind to you.
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-04-11, 17:49. Reason: typo

Comment

• Angle
                      • Dec 2010

The Albert Dock is not now quite as busy as it used to be but the Tate is certainly worth visiting and a Leeds-Liverpool canal extension to the Albert Dock now runs in front of the Liver building at the Pier Head. A once glorious space has thus been broken up and the building of the new Liverpool Museum is sadly out of harmony with everything else in sight. Neverthless, it is almost always bracing down there and is well worth a visit if the weather is fine. You would have as fine view of the river, Wirral and, distantly, the Welsh mountains.

The cathedrals are both well-worth visiting and provide an indoor experience. The guides will tell you, and emphasise that the two are connected significantly by Hope Street (on which stand the Philharmonic Hall and the Everyman Theatre) but they rarely tell that if was named after a merchant, William Hope, whose house stood on the site now occupied by the Philharmonic Hall.

Just on the edge of the city centre are St George's Hall, the Walker Art Gallery, the Museum and the City Library which form one of, if not the, most impressice collections of civic buildings in the country.

Enjoy your visit

Comment

• Angle
                        • Dec 2010

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, Mercia.

Not that many Xs

Are we talking opera or oratorio here ? And could we be talking L for Largo, as well?

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

sounds like you're there, Angle

put me out of my misery so we can move on

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Good heavens, the AA inmates are on the move at the moment... It's like musical chairs. Everyone seems to be leaving or entering Wales. I shall be staying put, with a bit of luck...

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, Mercia.

Not that many Xs

Are we talking opera or oratorio here ? And could we be talking L for Largo, as well?

Just returned and on reading the new X, immediately thought "Ombra mai fù di vegetabile, cara ed amabile, soave più" - we rarely talk of anything else in Bayswater...

But there has already been some deft Angling, and Don has already hooked it I think!
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

yep, that's it Caliban, are you going to bother with the X word or move straight on to Y?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                yep, that's it Caliban, are you going to bother with the X word or move straight on to Y?
                                No - Angle had it first! Anyway, I have to make the tea after a brief contribution to the petrol head thread... brrrrm brrrrm
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X