This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

As always, it seems, I may have two but an flummoxed by the third. I'm hazarding George Malcom for 1 and Carlos Malcom (b.1945) for 3. Wait a minute, something coming through on the cheating G channel - Malcom Laing for 2?

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      As always, it seems, I may have two but an flummoxed by the third. I'm hazarding George Malcom for 1 and Carlos Malcom (b.1945) for 3. Wait a minute, something coming through on the cheating G channel - Malcom Laing for 2?
      The Scottish theorist was Alexander Malcolm (1685-1763), author of the first work on musical theory written in English. The others were correct, so over to you for N.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
        The Scottish theorist was Alexander Malcolm (1685-1763), author of the first work on musical theory written in English. The others were correct, so over to you for N.
        Ah! I should have known you'd be more methodical, with all three being surnames. OK - working on an N.

Comment

• Don Petter

Which N was responsible for a seasonal pantomime and a mysterious dance, as well as a commotion in his final year?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Which N was responsible for a seasonal pantomime and a mysterious dance, as well as a commotion in his final year?
            Nielsen?

1. Aladdin
            2. Working on it - I think from Maskarade
            3. Commotio (1931)
            Last edited by Guest; 01-01-11, 14:36. Reason: Added thinking

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Carl Nielsen - 'Cinderella' would be the pantomime and 'Commotio' his last composition, but I haven't worked out the reference to the dance.

Comment

• Don Petter

Correct, rn. I thought that wouldn't hold you lot at bay for long, but I was being called for a meal at the time!

(I'm afraid 'Masquerade' was the dance. Strictly a masquerade ball, but I didn't want to make it too easy.)

Over to rubbernecker for O (nearly forgot to pass the baton).
                Last edited by Guest; 01-01-11, 15:00. Reason: Explanation of 2

Comment

• rubbernecker

Correct, rn. I thought that wouldn't hold you lot at bay for long, but I was being called for a meal at the time!
                  So what ws the dance? Hindu dance from Aladdin? Or Cockerels from Maskarade? Or Elf dance from piano pieces? Or none of the foregoing...?

I'm going to get something to eat myself and will give some thought to O

EDIT : Thanks for explanation, Don!
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-01-11, 15:08.

Comment

• rubbernecker

What O links the composer of voices with two French impressionists?

(Note: there are no unforced errors in the wording of the clue)

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                      So here's something I think a bit simpler, which perhaps might go down well for the holiday period, which mirrors something I was asked to do for a local school.
                      All questions should be gettable - there's no point researching for really obscure connections cos almost nobody will be able to answer.
                      Some questions seem less simple, and less gettable, than others.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Osculation ?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Is it Claude O'Monet? Or his niece Berthe O'Degas? (Had you said two English impressionists, I would have suggested Jon O'Bremner).
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-01-11, 10:58. Reason: Addition of carelessly forgotten right-hand bracket

Comment

• rubbernecker

Strange, I was expecting a more sprightly response...

It's not that difficult. Three composers involved, one of whom wrote voices.

Once you have him, the rest should unravel fairly quickly.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Might it be 'Olympia'? (Ravel work inspired by Manet's painting)

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Ondine - Ravel, Debussy and Chaminade?
                                (I have to log off now - things to do! Should my answer be correct, I'll post my 'P' question later this morning).
                                Last edited by Guest; 02-01-11, 11:40.

Comment

Working...
                                X