X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
    Ondine - Ravel, Debussy and Chaminade?
    (I have to log off now - things to do! Should my answer be correct, I'll post my 'P' question later this morning).
    As subcontrabass would say, you're getting warm, but you haven't quite completed the puzzle

Comment

I'm afraid my brain is starting to hurt ...but I'm quite happy for somebody else to reap the glory. Could whoever sets the 'P' question PLEASE make it a little less difficult (this IS supposed to be fun, isn't it?)

Comment

I'm afraid my brain is starting to hurt ...but I'm quite happy for somebody else to reap the glory. Could whoever sets the 'P' question PLEASE make it a little less difficult (this IS supposed to be fun, isn't it?)
        Ho, ho, ho! Can anyone rescue Ofcachap? I would have thought by now the answer is eminently googleable.

Comment

apparently not ... 25 hours 28 minutes and counting ...make that 25 hours and 29 minutes...25 hours and 34 minutes...
          Last edited by Guest; 02-01-11, 16:47.

Comment

My dear chap Ofcachap, I'm a bit bemused by your difficulty in scaling the final peak of this one. It's a damn sight easier than most of the questions that I and others have set and which you, with impressive speed, have been able to answer: Hirondelle? Sigiswald Kuijken? I'm not spoonfeeding you anymore, as I'm sure someone will nail it very soon.

Comment

Anyway, these two composers, Vasks and Stockhausen (think about it) are sitting by the river, right, when these three French impressionists walk past. Vasks (but it might equally well have been Stockhausen) asks if they can recommend a local restaurant. One of the impressionists, possibly Claude Monet, says (in a pretty ropey Cockney accent). 'Pas beaucoup de gens le connaissent, mais on dine (think about it) chez 'La Question Sans But'.

Comment

Sorry ... the more clues you offer - if that's what they are? - the more confused I get. Peak = Mount Olympus? The Mount of Olives? Nail = the Crucifixion? Oz from 'Auf Wiedersehen Pet'?

Comment

Anyway, these two composers, Vasks and Stockhausen (think about it) are sitting by the river, right, when these three French impressionists walk past. Vasks (but it might equally well have been Stockhausen) asks if they can recommend a local restaurant. One of the impressionists, possibly Claude Monet, says (in a pretty ropey Cockney accent). 'Pas beaucoup de gens le connaissent, mais on dine (think about it) chez 'La Question Sans But'.
                  On dine I'm now going to have to watch my DVD of The Trip yet again to savour the Coogan/Brydon impressions of Michel Caine of which you have now reminded me (They aren't the impressionists I had in mind; you are correct with Debussy and Ravel...)

EDIT: ...and Ondine, but that's not the point
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-01-11, 18:01.

Comment

Originally posted by hercule
                    Ondine, Debussy, Ravel, Henze ?
                    Oh, thank God for that. Henze is the missing link. Composer of 'voices' and the 1958 ballet Ondine choreographed by Sir Frederick Ashton. Hercule, I think you'd better set the next question as I'm not sure Ofcachap can type very easily in his straitjacket...

Remember, it needs to be easy, but above all, FUN!!

Comment

It was getting kinda lonely, but you got the right answer.

Comment

That's very kind of you, but I think it might confuse things somewhat. I'll return after giving my brain a rest with the help of a bacon sandwich and an episode of 'A Touch of Frost' (we're simple folk here in Suffolk, you know )

Comment

[QUOTE=hercule;19481]this is easy
                          I don't know about a clue, but a definition of 'easy' might come in handy Dare I suggest that the decreasing frequency of attempted answers, let alone of correct solutions, says something about the nature of the questions?

Comment

(Nigel Pargetter has just fallen off the roof )
                            and Vanessa Whitburn has just given the game away on R4 Today by saying the storyline involves a birth and a death

A clue would be helpful, at least to stop me thinking about Cornelius Cardew.

Wonder how Ofcachap is this morning...?

EDIT: He's just answered that!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                              I haven't got a clue.

I'll stick to the music associations thread.
                              I've decided that Mr Pee - how appropriate! - was right all along.

Comment

My P question is pretty obscure, I admit, very difficult to pitch the level just right in my opinion, I think rubbernecker is onto it, surprise surprise
                                Agree about the difficulty of setting these. We probably all have areas we know that others might not. (Having just had to Google to find who Cornelius Cardew was.) I try not to Google/Wiki for everything, but hope to think of a possible peg from the back of my brain first. Sometimes that doesn't work - hence my silence of late. But I'm in no sense complaining. We have the Association thread for quick and easy responses.

Comment

Working...
                                X