This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hercule
    My P question is pretty obscure, I admit, very difficult to pitch the level just right in my opinion, I think rubbernecker is onto it, surprise surprise
    Petrassi , pupils also included Norma Beecroft (me, neither) and Kenneth Leighton

Comment

What Q connects Buenos Aires, Budapest and Neath in South Wales?

In the spirit of fairness, and assuming that Rob Cowan is not participating, I should add a clue. The answer is a manufacturer of goods associated with classical music.

I am about to embark for the Welsh hills on my bicycle, where my BlackBerry desn't work, and will return after lunch to see how we're faring.

Comment

Qualiton (me neither)?
        That didn't take long, obviously the clue made it too easy. But as long as you had fun...

Qualiton, a defunct state-owned record label born in Budapest. I actually have several Qualiton LPs in my collection, but being a bit weird like that, I suppose that's not altogether surprising. Over to Hercule for R. I'll try and sit this one out, maybe go and wash the car or something instead...

Comment

34 of the last 37 messages posted on this thread have been from just 3 people, including myself. 'Elitist, moi?'

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
            Qualiton, a defunct state-owned record label born in Budapest.
            And which, as rn knows, Rob Cowan spent part of his early life flogging aroubnd the UK.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

They were all born in Romania ... go on, tell me that isn't the right answer, even though it answers your question.

Comment

does he often?
                Nah, he thinks it's far too elitist

Comment

Coming up to three hours. Are we expecting an S from ofca, or has he gone off in a huff?

Comment

well done
                    My reply, though correct, wasn't meant to be serious. However, if, like me, you wish to encourage contributions from outside the 'magic circle', I can offer what I believe to be a pretty straightforward question, the answer to which begins with 'S':
                    Between 1491 and 1570, three cities later associated much later with, respectively, a Republic, a firestorm and a Wall all established what?

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                      My reply, though correct, wasn't meant to be serious. However, if, like me, you wish to encourage contributions from outside the 'magic circle', I can offer what I believe to be a pretty straightforward question, the answer to which begins with 'S':
                      Between 1491 and 1570, three cities later associated much later with, respectively, a Republic, a firestorm and a Wall all established what?
                      Glad you're still here, ofca. I took your answer at face value, being a simple soul, and have now probably sent the other three off in huffs. Still, your conundrum will fill the time until they reappear. I'll start thinking.

I don't subscribe to any magic circle theory, being quite happy to have a guess if I can, and sit back to watch and wait if I can't. At least your question doesn't seem to relate to those 'contemptable' composers, who usually floor me. (Reactionary, me? Not really, just a joke.)

Comment

I wondered where all the huffs had gone - I had to walk! I remain, however, genuinely concerned that the thread might increasingly come across as a kind of refuge for a very limited number of initiates indulging in Senior Common Room humour and wordplay. I haven't checked, but I suspect that quite a few contributors who participated at the outset have now dropped out. Which, if true, is a great pity.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                          Staatskapelle: Weimar, Dresden, Berlin

Comment

Comment

Next question:

What T links Arthur Benjamin, Rimsky-Korsakov, Offenbach and Johann Strauss?

Comment

Tale(s) ... of Two Cities/of The Tsar Saltan/of Hoffmann/of the Vienna Woods?

Comment

Working...
                                X