X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Angle. I'm not sure whether you're going in the right direction. I don't know the conductor you're referring to. If you know how to private message me with your thoughts I can tell you if you're on the right track.

Rubbernecker gave a big clue in "A happy new ..."

the Y word is a simple everyday word

sorry you didn't have any luck at the bookshop

Comment

• rubbernecker

Your feline is Mr Stewart and his cat, Don. I'm not sure about the cycle from Mrs Hensel, as I didn't think Mendelssohn built bicyles, but if it's got two wheels I'll generally ride it!

Waterstones going the same way as HMV? Oh dear...

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

Angle. I think I shall leave you in rubbernecker's capable hands. He obviously not only knows the answer but also how to give excellent clues.
        Good day.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          Angle. I think I shall leave you in rubbernecker's capable hands. He obviously not only knows the answer but also how to give excellent clues.
          Good day.
          And with a huff, he was off again...

Mercia, can I lure you back with the promise of a and a

Comment

• Angle
            • Dec 2010

The original Y in my mind was a Russian name but the other Y also left a couple of footprints. Thanks for the nudge.

Shostakovich :Symphony 11 The Year
            Tippett :New Year
            Al's : The Year of the Cat (of which I have never heard)
            Fanny Mendelssohn Hersel :Das Jahr, which being translated ......

Unfortunately, I do not have an A ready and cannot come back until quite late this evening. I hand it over to rubbernecker as a bonus

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Angle View Post
              The original Y in my mind was a Russian name but the other Y also left a couple of footprints. Thanks for the nudge.

Shostakovich :Symphony 11 The Year
              Tippett :New Year
              Al's : The Year of the Cat (of which I have never heard)
              Fanny Mendelssohn Hersel :Das Jahr, which being translated ......

Unfortunately, I do not have an A ready and cannot come back until quite late this evening. I hand it over to rubbernecker as a bonus
              You missed the '1905' bit out of your first answer, Don, which was the year Shostakovitch was born and which I think ties in with Mercia's clue.

I don't want to set A either, as I shall be absent from the boards from 8pm tonight. So hopefully here is a quick n' easy Z for someone to solve before then:

Which Z drew inspiration from Andersen, Wilde and Tagore?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                You missed the '1905' bit out of your first answer, Don, which was the year Shostakovitch was born and which I think ties in with Mercia's clue.

I don't want to set A either, as I shall be absent from the boards from 8pm tonight. So hopefully here is a quick n' easy Z for someone to solve before then:

Which Z drew inspiration from Andersen, Wilde and Tagore?
                Without recourse to google, the Tagore reference makes me think it must be Zemlinsky. Am I right in remembering that the Lyric Symphony is made up of Tagore verses?

Did he set something decadent by Wilde like Salome?

But as I type I remember one of his pieces is "Die Seejungfrau" which is German for mermaid so I infer (without having previously made the connection) that it's a setting of Andersen.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• subcontrabass
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Did he set something decadent by Wilde like Salome?
                  Grove gives Der Zwerg, with libretto after Wilde: The Birthday of the Infanta)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                    Grove gives Der Zwerg, with libretto after Wilde: The Birthday of the Infanta)
                    OK thanks scb, there we are then... A double Z to finish the alphabet. I suspect rubbers will give me the green light to Attack Again....

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      OK thanks scb, there we are then... A double Z to finish the alphabet. I suspect rubbers will give me the green light to Attack Again....
                      Two Wildian operas in fact, Der Zwerg, and also A Florentine Tragedy. Well done both of you. Caliban, you'd better unleash your A...

Comment

• rubbernecker

Before Caliban starts us off again on our 12th round, a bit of housekeeping here:

A Ave Verum, Argo, Aspen, A (440hz), Alwyn, Amadeus, Adams, African, Antheil, Adam, Aaron, Albrecht
                        B Britten (2), Beach, B flat, Ball/Barber/Bilk, Bechstein, Bayreuth, Burgon, Boulanger, Bernstein, Bar
                        C Columbus, Clytemnestra, Copland, Cockaigne, Crumb, Children, Cathedral, Calisto, Curzon, Coronation, Clarinet
                        D DG, Doric, Dragon, Demon, Draeseke, Dolly, Dark, Dances, Delibes, Don, Death
                        E Enigma, Elisabeth, Eric, Ellis, Ellington, Erich, Eccles, Eclogue, E, Elgar, Enharmonic
                        F Fugue, Fritz, Florence, Ferguson, Fuchs, Fermata, Feux Follets, Faure, Frankfurt, Fandango, Five
                        G Gloria, Gomez, Gabrieli, Gioconda, Goossens, Gayaneh, Gnome, Grace, George, Gerusalemme, Gaspard
                        H Hirondelle, Henri, Harold, Hammer, Harty, Henze, Hahn, Harriet, Harry, Holiday, Howard
                        I Indian, Invicta,Ian, Iphigenia, Imperial, Inches, Igor, Idyll, Ives, Indes, Irving
                        J Joseph, Juilliard, Jacob, Jacques, Joplin, Jerusalem, Jeremiah, Jenner, Jordan, Jupiter, Jeune
                        K Kapellmeister, Kuijken, Kronos, Kreutzer, Koeln, Karl, Knight, Kullervo, King, Korngold, Kinder
                        L Lvov, Lancashire, Lyadov, Landi, Lincoln, Litany, Lombardy, Liverpool, Lucerne, Lyric, Lorelei
                        M Malibran, Malcolm, Merrie, Martinu, Miller, Metronome, Missa Luba, Mark, Marian, Monothematic, Mandarin
                        N Neville Cardus, Nielsen (2), Neptune, Nono, Nyman, Newcastle, Nevers, Naples, Nocturne, Night
                        O Orff, Ondine, Orlando, Orpheus, Orange, Oliver, Oramo, Open, Orson, Offenbach, Ophicleide
                        P Philip, Petrassi, Papa, Pacific 231, Passacaglia, Padstow, Polignac, Primrose, Pigs, Plantagenet, Peter
                        Q Quodlibet, Qualiton, Quartets, Quincy, Quint, Quasthoff, Quilter, Quicksilver, Queen, Quest,
                        R Reimann, Romania, Rim, Rawsthorne, Rhapsody, Roman, Ripieno, Red Red, Roy, Rhythm, Ricci
                        S Serpent, Staatskapelle, Stravinsky, Solveig, Schnittke, Shellfish, Sackbut, Sessions, Scott, Silver, Striggio
                        T Tamburlaine, Tales, Trittico, Tippett, Thomas, Twins, Turandot, Tango, Trio, Time/Tempo, Tasso
                        U Umberto, Under, Unicorn, University, Ukelele/Unda Maris, Underground, Utopia, Unknown, Ursuleac, Uptown, Unstern
                        V Viola da Gamba, Vasary, Venusberg, Venice (2), Vanishing Bridegroom, Victor, Vanity, Viola, Velvet
                        W Waldtaube, Weill, Walkure, Winter, Wilhelm, Walton/Weller/White, Walter, Wenlock, Williams, S Wagner,
                        X Xaver, Xylophone, Xenia, X (double sharp), Composers ending in X, Xanadu, X, Xerxes
                        Y Ysaye, Yo Yo Ma, Yellow (2), Yves, Yolanda, Young, Young/Jung, Year
                        Z Zeffirelli, Zimmermann (2), Zappa, Zamiel, Zero, Zoo, Zemlinsky

Comment

• Angle
                          • Dec 2010

Back sooner than expected but I shall be going off at 9 to watch the next two parts of Spiral III.

Wot, no A ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

May St Cecilia bless you and hold you safe, rubberknockers. I was about to hunt for that, to check that the A I have in mind hadn't cropped up before... (Not that we necessarily mind).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                              Wot, no A ?
                              Easy, Tiger!

Just finessing a little teaser for you...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Right, A.

Fraternal leave-taking - plus a bloke who turned to confectionary?

Comment

Working...
                                X