X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angle
    • Dec 2010

No, no. I am an Ibsenite.

Similar? Not so - it was my memory that failed, as it seems to be doing with D

Comment

• Tapiola
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Angle View Post
      No, no. I am an Ibsenite.

Comment

• Anna

Hullo Boys!

I have just returned and find while I’ve been away someone has been moving the furniture around, there is a new front page and Caliban has turned into Dimitri !!!

How many pages do I have to scroll back, how many times have you gone from A to Z and back again? Is there any gossip?

Comment

• Tapiola
          • Jan 2011

Welcome back Anna. I hope you had a good trip and are back refreshed.

What have you missed? Well, by my reckoning you would need to scroll back to page 395 to catch up fully, but a couple of highlights (for me anyway) have been the circumstances of Angle's meeting with Hindemith and Caliban going AWOL last week. Oh, and a new child of AA thread started by Angle on composers what we have met.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Welcome back Anna! You may be interested in a thread which I started on 'The Choir' concerning the Rhayader and District Male Voice Choir.
            Apart from the above, we enjoyed our sally into Wales, where you do have some smashing birds - ravens, red kites and buzzards. (Not to be confused with the bird that you clearly meant to conjure up for us chaps with your 'Hullo Boys'...)

Comment

• Tapiola
              • Jan 2011

Oh yes, Anna, and you missed the gerbils.

Comment

• Anna

I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday in Wales Ofca. Mine was a holiday of contrasts. First (and longest) was in County Durham, no tv, walking everywhere, uphill and down dale, dry stone walls and lots of lambs. Exceedingly fine wines and fine dining and lashings of string and wind (in particular Schubert) and exceptionally enjoyable and relaxing.

Second part was Lancs, day in Liverpool, got taken to lunch by a LFC fanatical supporter to Jamie Carragher’s Bar (I think he thought I would be impressed, I was more impressed that he is entering his third year of studying to be a Reader) Yesterday was Morecombe Bay kite flying and playing kickabout on the beach. Fish and chips and a 99. No classical music.

So, had a wonderful time and trains worked like clockwork as usual but I must seek out the gerbils it seems and The Choir! Edit: Caliban went AWOL - was it another wine tasting?
                Last edited by Guest; 11-04-11, 15:05. Reason: afterthought

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Clockwork trains are OK as long as you remember where you put the key. Have Chad Valley taken over the routes on which you travelled? We weren't very impressed with Arriva Wales - their timekeeping in the Machynlleth area left much to be desired.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Exceedingly fine wines and fine dining and lashings of wind

(in particular Schubert) and exceptionally enjoyable and relaxing.
                    Phew! I was glad to continue that sentence....

'Ello Anna, 'ow nice to vader yer dolly old eke again! Don't be strange, troll in!

Glad you're back safe and sound. Sounds a great break. And I'm glad the trains gave satisfaction! They still have clockwork ones up north?! Toot toot!

Yes, Hindemith and gerbils here, mainly and some spikey questions...

... not least the current D, a masterpiece of compression that I cant prise my way into.

EDIT: great minds, OFCA
                    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 11-04-11, 15:11. Reason: Playing snap with OFCA
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Edit: Caliban went AWOL - was it another wine tasting?

A most sober day of meetings and water and tea. Oh and a single cleansing ale in the evening.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

A most sober day of meetings and water and tea. Oh and a single cleansing ale in the evening.
                        Where's the emoticon for hollow laugh?

Re your previous, the Maritime Museum in Liverpool Docks had a section (all in pink) called Hullo Sailor! including a section on Polari and Jules & Sand

I'll take a look at the D but fear I won't be playing today, must finish unpacking and mountain of mail on the mat!

Comment

• Tapiola
                          • Jan 2011

A clue for D?

Something, nothing and untitled. Three works by the same D.

Three works for the same solo instrument by a well known composer.

Comment

• Anna

Can we assume the D is a modern composer (judging by the clues to the titles or do we not take those literally?) Not that I'm getting anywhere as the only something I can think of is Item for cello by Dusapin and nothing else that fits so far.

Comment

• Tapiola
                              • Jan 2011

Can we assume the D is a modern composer (judging by the clues to the titles or do we not take those literally?) Not that I'm getting anywhere as the only something I can think of is Item for cello by Dusapin and nothing else that fits so far.
                              The clues for the titles are to be taken more or less literally, Anna. The composer in question is English and not modern.

EDIT: Beg pardon, the composer is English but may not have been born there.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Dowland! - how slow of me...

Comment

Working...
                                X