X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tapiola
    • Jan 2011

Sounds promising, vinteuil. Can you elaborate?

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
      Sounds promising, vinteuil. Can you elaborate?
      well, from the Lute Book I recall "Mrs White's Thing" and "Mrs White's Nothing" [no sniggering at the back there] - and there must be some untitled pieces... I shall dig around for my copy of Diana Poulton...

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        well, from the Lute Book I recall "Mrs White's Thing" and "Mrs White's Nothing" [no sniggering at the back there] - and there must be some untitled pieces... I shall dig around for my copy of Diana Poulton...
        ... wherein I find "A Piece Without Title"...

Comment

• Tapiola
          • Jan 2011

Great stuff vinteuil. The other specific work I was thinking of is "A Piece without title P 51".

Give us an "E"

EDIT: Pesky crossposting. A full house for vinteuil.

Comment

• Angle
            • Dec 2010

Well done, vinteuil

E?

Comment

• Anna

While we await the E I would like to say to Angle that I was really impressed with Liverpool, not at all what I expected and I greatly enjoyed my day there (Tate & the Museums) and would go back again at any time. Also, we went to the Western Approaches Museum which I had never heard of before. (Is it always so hot and sunny in Liverpool btw?)

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                Well done, vinteuil

E?
                I am reminded of a Playboy cartoon depicting a weedy little man beginning an attempt on an enormous, and restless, woman - his speech-bubble said: "Patience, Ruby - one must needs reconnoitre... "

More to the point I have guests due for tea in moments. The E clue will have to wait until later this evening...

Comment

• Angle
                  • Dec 2010

Perhaps Vinteuil's departure for a tea-break is a silent hint for E, in which case I proffer Entr'acte. I wonder when "later this evening" will be? I ask because I am never sure when evening ends. Is it at sunset or midnight or some other arbitary moment between now and then, such as after a concert ?

Anna, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Liverpool. It was, indeed, an unusually hot day; a good one to enjoy the air-conditioning of galleries and museums. The Tate and the Maritime are both worth visiting. I did not know about Hello, Sailor but perhaps when I can bring myself to walk all the way down there, I shall call in. As for the rest of the sights, I hope that one day you will return.

I can assure you that today is noticeably colder and a wind has sprung from what feels like somewhere in the north. However, the sun still blazes in a clear sky.

Vinteuil, one trusts that the cucumber sandwiches are up to Earnest standard.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

'Later this evening' depends, inter alia, on which continent or in which time zone you are. In my experience, it can mean up until round about midnight.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                      Anna, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Liverpool. It was, indeed, an unusually hot day; a good one to enjoy the air-conditioning of galleries and museums. The Tate and the Maritime are both worth visiting. I did not know about Hello, Sailor but perhaps when I can bring myself to walk all the way down there, I shall call in. As for the rest of the sights, I hope that one day you will return.
                      Angle, if I had the means to contact you (and as I was on my own all afternoon trolling around) I would have invited you to meet me down at the Docks (and that's not an offer I extend to everyone!) Also, later this year, a Museum of Liverpool will be opening which sounds good.

In the meantime, Schubert. My bro-in-law is a clarinettist (various wind ensembles) and he was playing me Schubert's Octet (I am normally more orchestral in preference to be honest) and I thought it marvellous but he says the Wiener Oktett is the one to get (Decca), so whilst vinteuil gets his High Tea together I wonder if I can ask if anyone agrees that is the one to order? Sorry to be off topic, but why not?

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks for your patience...

Which E supported a Welsh Prime Minister here, and a priest worrying about celibacy elsewhere - but is probably better known for his association with pasta?

Comment

• Tapiola
                          • Jan 2011

A work colleague of mine is from Fermanagh. To her and her ilk, "evening" starts at a minute past noon. It seems to be a regional thing, where "evening" = "afternoon". As to when Fermanagh evenings terminate, I haven't the faintest idea.

Comment

• Angle
                            • Dec 2010

The PM must be the man of whom Margot Asquith said he “could not see a belt without hitting below it”.

Comment

• Anna

David Lloyd George, only Welsh PM. David L-G when he was, sec of state for war, prior to PM preceded by The Earl Kitchener and succeeded by The Earl of Derby. D L-G was made an Earl. Are we looking for Earl therefore?

Edit: Having been without Internet access for ages I think the freedom has gorn to me head and I must away and cook a meal!!
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-04-11, 18:50.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Anna - jolly clever - but not at all the right line of thinking...

Except of course David Lloyd Jones is indeed part of the clue.

EDIT mea maxima culpa - I mean (of course, of course) David Lloyd George

Last edited by vinteuil; 11-04-11, 19:41.

Comment

Working...
                                X