This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
    Tale(s) ... of Two Cities/of The Tsar Saltan/of Hoffmann/of the Vienna Woods?
    Well done. Over to U.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      Well done. Over to U.
      (boom!boom!)
      What links compositions by Stan Tracey, Richard Rodgers, Andy Williams and Kenny Young?
      A trio of clues:
      (1) All answers begin with the same word, which is followed by, respectively, 2,3,2 and 2 words.
      (2) The second and fourth answers begin with the same two words.
      (3) The second answer does not involve a musical show or film.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-01-11, 22:56.

Comment

I would have got the "T" one!

I shan't get the "U" one!

Comment

(boom!boom!)
          What links compositions by Stan Tracey, Richard Rodgers, Andy Williams and Kenny Young?
          A trio of clues:
          (1) All answers begin with the same word, which is followed by, respectively, 2,3,2 and 2 words.
          (2) The second and fourth answers begin with the same two words.
          (3) The second answer does not involve a musical show or film.
          Under...

... Milk Wood
          ... the Southern Cross
          ... Paris Skies
          ... the Boardwalk

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

The first is a jazz suite inspired by the famous Dylan Thomas work for radio, and the second a theme written for an episode of the famous 1950s TV documentary series 'Victory at Sea'. It later formed the basis for 'No Other Love', a number 1 hit in the UK singles chart for Ronnie Hilton. Andy Williams wrote the words for the third, and the fourth was a big hit for, among others, The Drifters.
            Over to you!

Comment

The first is a jazz suite inspired by the famous Dylan Thomas work for radio, and the second a theme written for an episode of the famous 1950s TV documentary series 'Victory at Sea'. It later formed the basis for 'No Other Love', a number 1 hit in the UK singles chart for Ronnie Hilton. Andy Williams wrote the words for the third, and the fourth was a big hit for, among others, The Drifters.
              Over to you!
              Good question! But that just shows how your thesis of keeping things simple and non-elitist doesn't really work because of the widely differing areas of knowledge here. I had no idea on this one, knowing two only as names , one for Oklahoma, and the last not at all. I could have started googling, but I try not to do this except for confirming a line of thought. My instinct was rather like that of the discographical record label listings - mark it as NC and move on!

But keep them all coming, I say. We've got Caliban back in after who knows what seasonal excesses, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                We've got Caliban back in after who knows what seasonal excesses, at least.
                I did profit from the season, tis true. New Year greetings to all.

There are two 'V' s linking the following (one is quite easy I think, the other somewhat more oblique).

So which two Vs link (1) a colourful fowl (2) a twinkling little star and (3) weeping, lamenting, worrying and fearing ?

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  I did profit from the season, tis true. New Year greetings to all.

There are two 'V' s linking the following (one is quite easy I think, the other somewhat more oblique).

So which two Vs link (1) a colourful fowl (2) a twinkling little star and (3) weeping, lamenting, worrying and fearing ?
                  One is variations:

Sorabji: Il gallo d’oro” da Rimsky-Korsakov: variazioni frivole con una fuga anarchica, eretica e perversa

Dohnanyi: Variations on a Nursery Song

Liszt: Variations on 'Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen'

Is the second V "virtuoso", as a description of the skill level needed to perform these works?

Comment

Is the second V "virtuoso", as a description of the skill level needed to perform these works?
                    I wondered if it could be 'vous', as in 'ah vous dirai-je maman'? Haven't researched the other two, though.

Comment

One is variations:

Sorabji: Il gallo d’oro” da Rimsky-Korsakov: variazioni frivole con una fuga anarchica, eretica e perversa

Dohnanyi: Variations on a Nursery Song

Liszt: Variations on 'Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen'

How interesting - you are right about Variations.... but (in one respect) for the wrong reason: no Golden Cockerels. Hadn't thought about that! And that will prevent you getting the second 'V' (not 'virtuoso' - and yet you're not far off!!). Let's see if anyone can get all three, shall we? And V #2......

Comment

I wondered if it could be 'vous', as in 'ah vous dirai-je maman'? Haven't researched the other two, though.
                        Non, Don!

Comment

How interesting - you are right about Variations.... but (in one respect) for the wrong reason: no Golden Cockerels. Hadn't thought about that! And that will prevent you getting the second 'V' (not 'virtuoso' - and yet you're not far off!!). Let's see if anyone can get all three, shall we? And V #2......
                          Must be peacock then?

Comment

Must be peacock then?
                            Yup - so what might the other "V" link be? It has to do with the most obvious thing those three works have in common, other than the Variation form...

Comment

Yup - so what might the other "V" link be? It has to do with the most obvious thing those three works have in common, other than the Variation form...
                              All variations on something vocal?

Comment

All variations on something vocal?

Not that..

Comment

Working...
                                X