W...

Pure guesswork, but... Whale?

Tavener's cantata
        Crumb - Vox Balanae, for amped-up trio
        ELO's The Whale
        Pure genius, more like.

All correct. May I offer you X,Y or Z?

Comment

I'd almost forgotten how far through the alphabet we were. I do have an A though...if that is allowed. Otherwise I will have to pass the chalice of tail-enders to another (as I will regrettably have to go offline again shortly (the teenager "needs" the pc for A Level revision (i.e. "Facebook")).

I once persuaded her to watch Withnail. She gave up after 10 minutes, pronouncing it "too depressing" Ahhh, youth.

Comment

At the risk of general opprobium, I shall venture an A, through lack of the sufficient faculties to conjure X, Y or Z.

If rules have been broken, apologies, and someone else can construct one of these letters. My brain is very fuddled tonight.

What A connects an instrument of aggression, a meeting and a work by Birtwistle?

(Some might say that elements 1 and 3 are synonymous )

On this note I must say goodnight and shall return in the morning when, doubtless, we will be on G again, or thereabouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
              And welcome Uncle Monty!!!

I hope you've put that cat out.

Yes, it's dead down the drain. . .

Just off to change down and find my neutral space :cool2:

Comment

What A connects an instrument of aggression, a meeting and a work by Birtwistle?:
                Would it be AGM?

Air to Ground Missile, agm by Birtwistle was Sappho's words and agm = meeting.

Comment

At the risk of general opprobium, I shall venture an A, through lack of the sufficient faculties to conjure X, Y or Z.

If rules have been broken, apologies, and someone else can construct one of these letters. My brain is very fuddled tonight.

What A connects an instrument of aggression, a meeting and a work by Birtwistle?

(Some might say that elements 1 and 3 are synonymous )

On this note I must say goodnight and shall return in the morning when, doubtless, we will be on G again, or thereabouts.

I think it is an unwritten rule that X, Y & Z can be by-passed at the election of the question setter. Let's see if anyone disagrees... Not that any of the rules here are written....

A for Axe? HB's "Axe Manual" and it's an instrument of aggression... I suppose... But a meeting?

EDIT: Whooops, hadn't refreshed after logging on and pondering... Didn't see Anna's - which seems much more coherent. I'd be brushing up me B's if I were you, Anna!
                  Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 15-04-11, 08:51. Reason: Failure to keep up
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

[QUOTE=Caliban;46718]Let's see if anyone disagrees[/B]
                    Au contraire - I wholeheartedly agree, and would be pleased, should the occasion arise, to be able to leap gazelle-like from a successfully answered W to A.. Might the same option also be open to anyone who correctly answers a P?

(By the way, I'm missing Liz already).

Comment

Alphabet Associations - Previous answers - posts 0001 to 4589

A Ave Verum, Argo, Aspen, A (440hz), Alwyn, Amadeus, Adams, African, Antheil, Adam, Aaron, Albrecht, Arms
                      B Britten (2), Beach, B flat, Ball/Barber/Bilk, Bechstein, Bayreuth, Burgon, Boulanger, Bernstein, Bar, Bert
                      C Columbus, Clytemnestra, Copland, Cockaigne, Crumb, Children, Cathedral, Calisto, Curzon, Coronation, Clarinet, Cantata
                      D DG, Doric, Dragon, Demon, Draeseke, Dolly, Dark, Dances, Delibes, Don, Death, Dowland
                      E Enigma, Elisabeth, Eric, Ellis, Ellington, Erich, Eccles, Eclogue, E, Elgar, Enharmonic, Ennio
                      F Fugue, Fritz, Florence, Ferguson, Fuchs, Fermata, Feux Follets, Faure, Frankfurt, Fandango, Five, Fancy
                      G Gloria, Gomez, Gabrieli, Gioconda, Goossens, Gayaneh, Gnome, Grace, George, Gerusalemme, Gaspard, Glass
                      H Hirondelle, Henri, Harold, Hammer, Harty, Henze, Hahn, Harriet, Harry, Holiday, Howard, Horn
                      I Indian, Invicta,Ian, Iphigenia, Imperial, Inches, Igor, Idyll, Ives, Indes, Irving, Ibert
                      J Joseph, Juilliard, Jacob, Jacques, Joplin, Jerusalem, Jeremiah, Jenner, Jordan, Jupiter, Jeune, Jones/Jonas
                      K Kapellmeister, Kuijken, Kronos, Kreutzer, Koeln, Karl, Knight, Kullervo, King, Korngold, Kinder, Kostelanetz
                      L Lvov, Lancashire, Lyadov, Landi, Lincoln, Litany, Lombardy, Liverpool, Lucerne, Lyric, Lorelei, Lamb
                      M Malibran, Malcolm, Merrie, Martinu, Miller, Metronome, Missa Luba, Mark, Marian, Monothematic, Mandarin, Melodrama
                      N Neville Cardus, Nielsen (2), Neptune, Nono, Nyman, Newcastle, Nevers, Naples, Nocturne, Night, Nash
                      O Orff, Ondine, Orlando, Orpheus, Orange, Oliver, Oramo, Open, Orson, Offenbach, Ophicleide, Oxford
                      P Philip, Petrassi, Papa, Pacific 231, Passacaglia, Padstow, Polignac, Primrose, Pigs, Plantagenet, Peter, Pierre
                      Q Quodlibet, Qualiton, Quartets, Quincy, Quint, Quasthoff, Quilter, Quicksilver, Queen, Quest, Quaker
                      R Reimann, Romania, Rim, Rawsthorne, Rhapsody, Roman, Ripieno, Red Red, Roy, Rhythm, Ricci, River
                      S Serpent, Staatskapelle, Stravinsky, Solveig, Schnittke, Shellfish, Sackbut, Sessions, Scott, Silver, Striggio, Susanna
                      T Tamburlaine, Tales, Trittico, Tippett, Thomas, Twins, Turandot, Tango, Trio, Time/Tempo, Tasso, TV documentary
                      U Umberto, Under, Unicorn, University, Ukelele/Unda Maris, Underground, Utopia, Unknown, Ursuleac, Uptown, Unstern, Ullman
                      V Viola da Gamba, Vasary, Venusberg, Venice (2), Vanishing Bridegroom, Victor, Vanity, Viola, Velvet, Voltaire
                      W Waldtaube, Weill, Walkure, Winter, Wilhelm, Walton/Weller/White, Walter, Wenlock, Williams, S Wagner, Whale
                      X Xaver, Xylophone, Xenia, X (double sharp), Composers ending in X, Xanadu, X, Xerxes
                      Y Ysaye, Yo Yo Ma, Yellow (2), Yves, Yolanda, Young, Young/Jung, Year
                      Z Zeffirelli, Zimmermann (2), Zappa, Zamiel, Zero, Zoo, Zemlinsky

Comment

Many thanks, rubbernecker. The list is fascinating, as well as extremely useful - I would go so far as to say essential - for future conundrum-posers.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          Would it be AGM?

Air to Ground Missile, agm by Birtwistle was Sappho's words and agm = meeting.
                          Good morning to all, and full marks to you Anna! Couldn't have expressed it better myself. ...agm... by Birtwistle - the strangest sounding title I had heard until I chanced upon "Ckckc" and "Tkrdg" by Scelsi.

The B is all yours.

(And thanks all for letting me leap straight to A...)

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post

(By the way, I'm missing Liz already).
                            Looking forward to catching up with all this via the omni this weekend... but it wasn't looking good with the blundering Jim trying to scrape the non-existent wonga together...

Comment

Rumour has it that Charlie Lawson was educated at the poshest school in Northern Ireland. You can really tell that from the way he speaks on Corrie, so you can.

btw Caliban, I thought your axe guess for A was inspired. It's just occurred to me that it could well be one of those parallel answers - an axe meeting might (obscurely) refer to the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

As reward, kindly accept today's featured flavour of French Fancy: strawberry.

Comment

Rumour has it that Charlie Lawson was educated at the poshest school in Northern Ireland. You can really tell that from the way he speaks on Corrie, so you can.

btw Caliban, I thought your axe guess for A was inspired. It's just occurred to me that it could well be one of those parallel answers - an axe meeting might (obscurely) refer to the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

As reward, kindly accept today's featured flavour of French Fancy: strawberry.
                                You are very kind

Gawain is one of my favoruite things in literature (it gets a reading every other New Year or so)... but I didn't twig the meeting connection

Good thought!

Likely to be a hectic day today as I am holding the fort while others swan off on holiday... not sure how much I'll be online So the concept of a strawberry Fancy is much welcomed!

Comment

Working...
                                X