This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon View Post
    Unless subcontra's got it, that seems tough. The only Es I can relate to 1 Corinthians are that it's an Epistle or that it was written in Ephesus. I've never heard of Tristan O'Donnell and know zilch about St James' Hall. Even these with clues are too hard for me!
    Google is your friend. Elgar's "Enigma Variations" was first performed at St James Hall. Tristan O'Donnell has written a work called "Enigma Variations". I Corinthians 13:11 is sometimes stated as referring to an enigma.

Comment

Hello to both of you. I hope you are having a good day.

Yes, it is the Enigma Variations, first performed at St James's Hall, London in 1899, and, of course, confounding the critics.

In the twentieth century, some critics, most notably Ian Parrott in his book on Elgar, argued that the Enigma could be linked to 1 Corinthians 13:12 : "For now we see through a glass, darkly but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

Tristan O'Donnell is the young man from Brooklyn who calls himself "Guilty Ghosts" and recorded his own Enigma Variations this year in his home. He says that his music "fuses somber washes of drone guitar with minimalist drum programming, creating a unique style of lo-fi instrumental bedroom pop. Guilty Ghosts’ songs are the kind fit for rainy days, everlasting evenings, and melancholy moments in solitude.”

Comment

Next question (an easier one, I hope):

What F links 133, 401 and 578?

Comment

Well, for an organist the third is easy - it's Bach's Little Fugue! But I've had to look up the others and apart from BVW 401 being in F, they don't seem to fit.

Then I thought of Mozart - and K401 is also a fugue, though I wouldn't have recognised the K number without checking.

But 133 has got me stumped: D numbers don't help, so it isn't Schubert. Scarlatti?

But my answer has to be Fugue, unless the Bach/Mozart connection is coincidental.

Ah - Beethoven - Op 133 - that blasted Gross Fugue that I dislike so much!!! Got it!

Nice one, subcontra!

NB I posted all the above over 15 minutes or so, whilst I thought. So you all have an example of how my mind works, if you'll pardon the overstatement.

Comment

Well done. All Fugues in G to lead you on to your next question.

Comment

Nice touch, subcontra.

Here it is, then.

One word.

What G links the words "et", "in" and "you're"?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                Nice touch, subcontra.

Here it is, then.

One word.

What G links the words "et", "in" and "you're"?
                Gloria?

Comment

Yes, Rubbernecker. Well done.

Can you give the fuller answer, though? :-)

Comment

Well, I guess we are talking Latin for the first two, something like: "Quo fas et Gloria duc*nt" and "In Gloria dei patri" and the first two words of this for the third: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=355Fk8drgZE
                    Aaah, that takes me back. Laura's legs were something else.

Herewith my poser:
                    One word answer; which H connects a work by a Danish Flautist, an excerpt from Bradford's most famous musical son and a gipsy song by Brahms?

Comment

Yep - Laura Branningan was a dream of my teen years, too!

For the sake of accuracy, the simple(r) answer was that they are all words that follow "Gloria" - Gloria et Filii (and Glory to the Son), Gloria in Excelsis and the first words of Brannigan's biggest hit - "Gloria, you're always on the run now..."

Comment

Hirondelle? (I have an 'I' question ready should my answer be correct!)
                        Last edited by Guest; 16-12-10, 17:28.

Comment

Blimey! I thought that would keep the thread quiet for at least 24 hrs by which time I would have to post another clue...

Well done, Ofcachap. Hirondelle is indeed correct. L'Hirondelle is a piece by Dane Joachim Andersen, which is of course the French for a swallow, Late Swallows was a movement arrd. by Eric Fenby from Delius's 2nd string quartet, and then we had a German swallow in the form of Brahms's Liebe Schwalbe, kleine Schwalbe from his Op.112. But you knew all that, you clever chap, Ofcachap.

So, now hit us between the I's...

Comment

Rimsky-Korsakov, Rudolf Friml and Ballard MacDonald (increasing in length).

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                              One word beginning with I?

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                                India, Indian, Indiana ?

Comment

Working...
                                X