Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Goat is the possible origin of the word capriccio
    capro, Italian for goat
    capriccios are frisky, like goats
    hence caprice
    thanks google

The online etymology dictionary (etymonline) is the internet's go-to source for quick and reliable accounts of the origin and history of English words, phrases, and idioms. It is professional enough to satisfy academic standards, but accessible enough to be used by anyone.
    Last edited by mercia; 16-04-11, 12:58.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      and G for Goat is what I was looking for. I understand that the traditional etymology of "tragic" form the Greek tragos, goat, is now questioned, but the Italian capro, goat, giving us capricorn, caprice, capriccio I think still holds...

Angle got the elements, mercia the etymology.

I think Angle should give us an aitcH

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post

capro, Italian for goat

capriccios are frisky, like goats

I always thought that that the "cap..." part came from 'capo' = 'head' - 'capriccio' referring to something so changable that it makes your head spin (or so surprising that it makes your hair stand on end)
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

mercia rides to the rescue again!! Well, the things you learn here! Thanks to the link from mercia I see Gatwick actually means "Goat-farm"

Silly joke: If an Italian cat emigrated to S.W. Germany would he be a Black Forest Gatto?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            mercia rides to the rescue again!! Well, the things you learn here! Thanks to the link from mercia I see Gatwick actually means "Goat-farm"

Silly joke: If an Italian cat emigrated to S.W. Germany would he be a Black Forest Gatto?

Good joke actually Anna! One of your own baking... errrr... making??

Seems like Angle is concocting something elaborate...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Do please tell me "Jim McDonald" is leaving too! Because he's crap, so he is...
              No need to... Hilarious - crappest bank robbery ever, so it was...

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

No need to... Hilarious - crappest bank robbery ever, so it was...
                As The Times puts it: -

"“We’ve had our time, Elizabeth,” growled Jim McDonald, calling time on both their stays on Coronation Street. And while last night’s bank-raid plot was beautifully taut and touching, I’d have to concur. This isn’t to do with Jim and Liz per se — the Street could never tire of “so it is” (him), questionable fashion (her) or blind love (both of them). It’s more that last night’s episodes had so many greener shoots to make way for. The next generation of the McDonald hopeless, Steve and Becky; the impossibly squirmy David and Kylie; Roy’s new-on-the-cobbles battleaxe mum ... After 50 years, the sharpness of the Corrie writers’ pens shows no sign of relenting."

Comment

• Anna

:
                  Good joke actually Anna! One of your own baking... errrr... making??
                  Seems like Angle is concocting something elaborate...
                  I think it was of my own making! Just catching up with missed Masterchef, cannot believe none of them haven't made choux or creme patissiere before!

I think Angle may have wandered off to enjoy this wonderful sunshine and I may wander and make something elaborate later .... I wish I had seen your post about the Corrie omni before, I really must try and watch the programme sometime.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

It's overcast, grey skies here in London - not raining but looking as if it could any time...

I watched that Masterchef - lots of fast-forwarding, I can't bear the music and the reaction shots - but interesting to see the actual products and the reactions... largely for Gregg Wallace cramming stuff into his big gob Great to see all those old heroes from the RAF etc. I also watched the previous one, the best round with those food critics

But I bet you do a mean 'pièce montée' Anna - I watched the Raymond Blanc patisserie programme too, he was doing the same sort of thing... I have an unsatisfied craving for fine choux balls, vanilla-y crème patissière and caramelised crunchy spun sugar...
                    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 16-04-11, 16:41.

Comment

• Anna

But I bet you do a mean 'pièce montée' Anna - I watched the Raymond Blanc patisserie programme too, he was doing the same sort of thing... I have an unsatisfied craving for fine choux balls, vanilla-y crème patissière and caremalised crunchy spun sugar...
                      Oh well Caliban, anytime you're passing .......... just call in! I don't like this new 'revamped' Masterchef at all, it was just so X Factor at the beginning wasn't it? Dreadful. All those relatives bursting into tears. Used to be one of my favourite cookery programmes. But I'm still watching. Love the food critic rounds as well, Jay Rayner used to be good on them.

Doing something a little bit different tonight, not sure how it'll work. Still really hot and sunny here (sun shines on the righteous and all that!)

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        As The Times puts it: -

"“We’ve had our time, Elizabeth,” growled Jim McDonald, calling time on both their stays on Coronation Street. And while last night’s bank-raid plot was beautifully taut and touching, I’d have to concur. This isn’t to do with Jim and Liz per se — the Street could never tire of “so it is” (him), questionable fashion (her) or blind love (both of them). It’s more that last night’s episodes had so many greener shoots to make way for. The next generation of the McDonald hopeless, Steve and Becky; the impossibly squirmy David and Kylie; Roy’s new-on-the-cobbles battleaxe mum ... After 50 years, the sharpness of the Corrie writers’ pens shows no sign of relenting."
                        I couldn't have put it better myself (so I couldn't, honest to God).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                          I couldn't have put it better myself (so I couldn't, honest to God).
                          Hahaha I'd missed vinteuil's post when refreshing the page. Yes spot on! The next character I hope bites the dust is the Rula Lenska character with the trannie boyfriend... Her odd nasal voice makes my flesh creep...

What was the exchange involving Sal which you drew to my attention?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

'Yes, Kevin, ironing - ironing your shirts that Mollie was so quick to tear off when you were writhing on a bed in some cheap hotel room' (or words to that effect)'.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

ah yes! Classic stuff.

Nice to see an injunction being served in the sacred precincts of the Rovers!!

The lawyers are rather busy in Weatherfield at the moment... No wonder Steve's brief has a pad in Andalucia....

Comment

• Anna

ah yes! Classic stuff.

Nice to see an injunction being served in the sacred precincts of the Rovers!!

The lawyers are rather busy in Weatherfield at the moment... No wonder Steve's brief has a pad in Andalucia....
                                Oh so, funny! Bet you are all Carter Ruckers! Hurriedly scurries off to avoid flak!

Comment

Working...
                                X