X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Same here and going to be immersed for the next couple of hours in the apparently exciting events on the Grand Prix track in China earlier today...
    I've been dragged along to a few Grand Prix (Belgium/British) but don't ask me who was racing as I have no interest in them whatsoever. The good thing about them on television is that it keeps men quiet and out of the way for a few hours!

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Angle View Post
      Someone has suggested, correctly, that H=half.
      The first one contains three clues to something which is hardly different from a whole one. I don't know how it could be, really.
      Would that be something like a half-collared dove?

This is a most infuriating, but enjoyable, puzzle you have set Don. I can't think of a similar occasion the AA thread where we have arrived at the answer but cannot find the references in the clues!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
        I can't think of a similar occasion the AA thread where we have arrived at the answer but cannot find the references in the clues!
        Particularly since with G, on the contrary, Don had got all 5 references in the question without any of us being able to find the answer without some heavy-duty clues...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Angle
          • Dec 2010

An end to all misery, especially as it is such a lovely day. How can one suffer more ?

H = half

notably, an ornamental bird-song cut short= a musical decoration. Some birds trill. A trill "cut short" is a half trill (but I don't quite know how one half trills)
          a pleasing Cameronian symphonic fraction = if it is pleasing is must be fun. A Symphony for Fun is No. 5 and a 1/2 by Don Gillis who was born in Cameron, Missouri. [I]I first heard this at a Halle Schools' Concert conducted by John Barbirolli at the Kings Hall, Belle Vue in 1949 or 1950.
          a form of sustenance which is an improvement on nothing at all had, fortunately, been explained : half a loaf is better than no loaf.

I suppose we can blame it all on the heat and the vapours but I do hope that mercia or vintueil will claim the I.

Well tried, everyone.

Best wishes from

Liverpool del Sol

Comment

• Anna

Would that be something like a half-collared dove?
            That's a possibility I guess, but hardly an ornamental song bird is it? They just make a silly cooing noise. I'm sure these questions are getting more abstract! Or, I am having more blonde moments.

Whoops! Cross posting again and I have just seen the answer.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

a tough one, Angle, so well done !!
              google let met down, I couldn't find anyone musical born in any Cameron
              funnily enough we've had that Gillis work before though I can't remember the letter he was associated with then
              I'm afraid I'm not in a fit state to set a question, I'm feeling distinctly unwell today

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                I'm afraid I'm not in a fit state to set a question, I'm feeling distinctly unwell today
                Oh, sorry to hear that mercia. Best wishes for a speedy recovery <hug>

Comment

• Angle
                  • Dec 2010

Sorry to hear that you are not well, mercia. A light diet and a good night's rest, perhaps?

Yes, I was sure someone mentioned the Gillis work but I cannot remember in what context. Searching FoR3 didn't help.

I am sure that whoever comes along first will be pleased to set an I for everyone. Meanwhile, take it easy.

Anna, in Liverpool, some birds trill. I am sorry to learn that SE Wales is deprived of such delights. Do your canaries Coo? Do your linnets crow? How odd.
                  Nice to see you are around to set an I but what we'd really like to know is what you have baked today.

Don

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                    Anna, in Liverpool, some birds trill. I am sorry to learn that SE Wales is deprived of such delights. Do your canaries Coo? Do your linnets crow? but what we'd really like to know is what you have baked today.
                    Don
                    Don, we do have birds in Wales although we usually bake the rooks in a leek pie, I greatly enjoyed watching some buzzards circling in a thermal yesterday and, yes, canaries sometimes sing as they go down the coal mines before they are gassed!

What have I baked today? Well, not quite baking but poached pears with cardamon and vanilla for dessert (my fear is it will be too perfumed) and a problematic main course is taxing me.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Despite twigging the 'half', I would never have got the full answer in a million years, so I feel that, on this occasion, my time was better spent doing some light gardening after listening AGAIN to the Britten Violin Concerto (it's like a drug, I can't hear it often enough).

Comment

• rubbernecker

We are hosting dinner this evening. Mrs R is at this moment preparing rhubarb soufflets with vanilla custard. I have concocted a soothing dish of chicken breasts in a creamy sauce with vermouth, white wine and tarragon which will be served with a baked rice pilaff containing baby leeks, carrot, celery and water chestnut. Two creamy courses - what a faux pas. I don't suppose our guests will mind as they are doing the 3 peak circuit of the Brecon Beacons and will doubtless be ravenous on their return.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                          listening AGAIN to the Britten Violin Concerto (it's like a drug, I can't hear it often enough).
                          I know what you mean, Ofca. I did the same with that concerto in my teen years. Do you know the Diversions for piano left hand and orchestra? Even more enticing in my book. Probably a desert island disc.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                            • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Angle;47412
                            Yes, I was sure someone mentioned the Gillis work but I cannot remember in what context. Searching FoR3 didn't help.

Don[/QUOTE]

Memory suggests that it was to do with the answer of "Don".

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I do indeed. I think some of the lesser known works deserve more hearings - I have the excellent Simon Rattle double CD, and also a CD of works for piano and oboe. One of my greatest regrets is not to have recorded the Michael Berkeley 'Masterworks' programme on the Serenade, filmed at Blythburgh Church. I must stop now - 'tho I could enthuse about Britten for ever. I'm really looking forward to 2013!

Comment

• Anna

We are hosting dinner this evening. Mrs R is at this moment preparing rhubarb soufflets with vanilla custard. I have concocted a soothing dish of chicken breasts in a creamy sauce with vermouth, white wine and tarragon which will be served with a baked rice pilaff containing baby leeks, carrot, celery and water chestnut. Two creamy courses - what a faux pas. I don't suppose our guests will mind as they are doing the 3 peak circuit of the Brecon Beacons and will doubtless be ravenous on their return.
                                Oh dear, two creamy courses! Well, of course it is the on-dit amongst the Guardian food writers that the Welsh can always be excused a faux pas as ir's a foreign language!

My main course is sort of beef stroganov, minus the beef and mustard and with strips of fillet pork in a creamy peppercorn sauce served with a mixture of rice and black Beluga lentis. I am not confident about this. I also bunged in some Romano peppers
                                Last edited by Guest; 17-04-11, 17:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X