X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angle
    • Dec 2010

I misread your earlier reply Anna and am now stuck with an image of buzzards flying around in thermal vests in S E Wales! And in this weather, too.

I rather like the sound of Beef Stroganov without the beef and mustard. Shall add it to recipes that save time.

Have a good evening all, I am off to eat and watch the sun set over Birkenhead.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      Do you know the Diversions for piano left hand and orchestra? Even more enticing in my book. Probably a desert island disc.
      Had the wonderful Leon Fleischer / Seiji Ozawa / Boston SO recording of Diversions on the other day. What a cracker, and always good to hear an international perspective on Britten.

Re the violin concerto, what versions do you recommend? Rubbers, I imagine in your teens you had the Lubotsky performance under the composer? Ofca, which were you listening to?

The French 'Tribune des Critiques' radio programme looked at this piece a year or so ago - Lubotsky and Vengerov/Rostropovich/LSO were patted on the back, but the performance which carried the day was Janine Jansen/Paavo Jarvi/LSO.

Any views?

Rubbers, I trust the wagging tongues in the Welsh gastrosphere won't blacken the name of Chateau Rubbernecker too badly as a result of your doubly-creamy solecism...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Rubbers, I imagine in your teens you had the Lubotsky performance under the composer?
        My schoolboy budget would not have allowed me the luxury of a Decca SXL, but I remember buying Ralph Holmes on CFP as soon as it came out, for a third of the price! It was coupled with the incomparable Ian Partridge singing the Serenade, and conducted by Pritchard. I also have it on CD (as well as Lubotsky).

Comment

• Simon

I shall set the I question as it was I who got the half and nobody else has bothered and it's about time I did one as I've never got near the answers for ages!

If that's all right with you guys. And if not, please go ahead and I'll set an extra one anyway as I'm away again on Wednesday.

bws Simon
          Last edited by Guest; 17-04-11, 21:58.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

[QUOTE=Caliban;47442][COLOR="blue"]Re the violin concerto, what versions do you recommend? Rubbers, I imagine in your teens you had the Lubotsky performance under the composer? Ofca, which were you listening to?
            I have the Lubotsky/Britten recording.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
              My schoolboy budget would not have allowed me the luxury of a Decca SXL, but I remember buying Ralph Holmes on CFP as soon as it came out, for a third of the price! It was coupled with the incomparable Ian Partridge singing the Serenade, and conducted by Pritchard. I also have it on CD (as well as Lubotsky).
              I think it was Rodney Friend who played the Britten with Pritchard on CfP

I grew up with Britten's Diversions played by Julius Katchen with Sergiu Commissiona, I think

Why is Britten's Diversions for piano left hand and orchestra not on the Proms menu more often maybe a mad evening coupled with Malcolm Arnold's Concerto for two pianos (three hands)?

Comment

• Simon

What "I" links a musical London John, a musical Manchester John and a musical Bronx Billy?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Britten's Diversions is perhaps one of those works that's difficult to schedule, being on the short side for the concerto element of a standard-format concert. The same thing probably goes for the Richard Strauss Burleske. I like the idea of having the Diversions on the same programme as the Malcolm Arnold.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                    I shall set the I question as it was I who got the half and nobody else has bothered and it's about time I did one as I've never got near the answers for ages!

If that's all right with you guys. And if not, please go ahead and I'll set an extra one anyway as I'm away again on Wednesday.

bws Simon
                    Sounds like a good plan.

EDIT: ah, it has be put into operation

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      I think it was Rodney Friend who played the Britten with Pritchard on CfP

I grew up with Britten's Diversions played by Julius Katchen with Sergiu Commissiona, I think

Why is Britten's Diversions for piano left hand and orchestra not on the Proms menu more often maybe a mad evening coupled with Malcolm Arnold's Concerto for two pianos (three hands)?
                      Am51 the Katchen recording I'm aware of is the one with Britten conducting I have a feeling I've heard it but I don't have that one - I have the Fleischer, the Donohoe/Rattle mentioned by Ofca, and the recent Stephen Osborne performance conducted by Ilan Volkov.

I don't think its length is the reason for it being a concert rarity. It's hardly shorter than the Ravel Left-Hand concerto, is it? And that crops up on concert programmes. Indeed I just looked on the Fleischer disc and the Ravel is 19 mins while the Britten is 25 minutes - perfectly standard concerto length I would have thought.

I completely agree that it is mystifying that it seems never to be performed live. I wonder if it is very difficult to play?

Comment

• amateur51

Am51 the Katchen recording I'm aware of is the one with Britten conducting I have a feeling I've heard it but I don't have that one - I have the Fleischer, the Donohoe/Rattle mentioned by Ofca, and the recent Stephen Osborne performance conducted by Ilan Volkov.

I don't think its length is the reason for it being a concert rarity. It's hardly shorter than the Ravel Left-Hand concerto, is it? And that crops up on concert programmes. Indeed I just looked on the Fleischer disc and the Ravel is 19 mins while the Britten is 25 minutes - perfectly standard concerto length I would have thought.

I completely agree that it is mystifying that it seems never to be performed live. I wonder if it is very difficult to play?
                        Ooooh maybe it was the Fleischer then, Caliban - is it pretty old?

I think that Katchen recorded it twice at least, once in mono and t'other in stereo.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Ooooh maybe it was the Fleischer then, Caliban - is it pretty old?

I think that Katchen recorded it twice at least, once in mono and t'other in stereo.
                          Ah! Mystery solved... My Fleischer version is quite recent, Sony Classics, digital etc etc...

But! He recorded it earlier in his career as well: Desto Records DC-7168 (original LP): Leon Fleisher, pianist; Baltimore Symphony Orchestra; Sergiu Comissiona, conductor

Rubbernecker would have been able to tell us that without consulting the t'internet as I had to... only he is sating himself with chicken in cream and vermouth, and rhubarb soufflé, and who knows what else...

Comment

• amateur51

Ah! Mystery solved... My Fleischer version is quite recent, Sony Classics, digital etc etc...

But! He recorded it earlier in his career as well: Desto Records DC-7168 (original LP): Leon Fleisher, pianist; Baltimore Symphony Orchestra; Sergiu Comissiona, conductor

Rubbernecker would have been able to tell us that without consulting the t'internet as I had to... only he is sating himself with chicken in cream and vermouth, and rhubarb soufflé, and who knows what else...
                            Yay!! :OK:

Comment

• Angle
                              • Dec 2010

Now, as to the I, I have shook myself up and cannot really find anything

The first Manchester John to spring to mind is Barbirolli
                              The first Bronx Billy to appear is Billy Joel
                              as for a London John: good heavens, how many are there apart perhaps Elton

I am up the creek, I have no paddle. I .... have miles to go before I sleep.

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

....and with Billy Joel we have The Innocent Man and The Innocent a film of John Schlesinger a London John?

Comment

Working...
                                X