This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born

'Wallace' (Governor George, Wallace Collection) doesn't seem to lead anywhere, either. Or is everybody afraid to get it right faced with the prospect of setting the 'X' question?
    Earth to subcontrabass ... Earth to subcontrabass ...

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
      Welcome to the cul-de-sac!
      Other trails that have gone cold covered (a) Alabama Song/Whisky/Jim Morrison/Doors (b) Montgomery (the state capital) (c) Yellowhammer (the state bird) and (d) Camellia (the state flower).
      'La Dame aux Camellias' might take us to Paris, and Jim Morrison could lead us to Morrisons, who probably have branches in several English seaside resorts.
      Your first offering in (a) should lead you in the right direction.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I'm sorry - I just don't think that it should take so much effort to root out the answer to an 'easier' question. I shall stick to The Times crossword in future - it's a lot easier! That's all from me folks.

Comment

• subcontrabass
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
          I'm sorry - I just don't think that it should take so much effort to root out the answer to an 'easier' question. I shall stick to The Times crossword in future - it's a lot easier! That's all from me folks.
          "Alabama Song" will take you straight to the answer.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
            "Alabama Song" will take you straight to the answer.
            Easypeasy from that! But ofca did the work, and I'm keeping quiet as I don't want X.

(I did have to google the resort, I must admit.)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
              Easypeasy from that! But ofca did the work, and I'm keeping quiet as I don't want X.

(I did have to google the resort, I must admit.)
              You and me both Don! I did the "X" question last time round, and it would take me a .... while to come up with another, so not wishing to be ... curt, I pass too - specially since I am at work.

Where the hell has rubberknickers got to?!?!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                You and me both Don! I did the "X" question last time round, and it would take me a .... while to come up with another, so not wishing to be ... curt, I pass too - specially since I am at work.

Where the hell has rubberknickers got to?!?!
                I'm just being dragged out of the house by SWMBO, back later this pm. I'll pitch in as appropriate then.

Comment

• Simon

Easypeasy from that, he says.

Well, having never heard of said song, I googled, and came up with "Whisky Bar Song" and Kurt Weill.

I have of course heard of Kurt Weill, though he has so far failed to loom large in my life, and I can think of no connection between him and any English seaside resort.

PS I don't do the Times crossword but on the rare days when I buy or come across the DT, I can usually manage it in about half an hour. So I'm not thick. Am I?

Comment

• subcontrabass
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post

Well, having never heard of said song, I googled, and came up with "Whisky Bar Song" and Kurt Weill.

I have of course heard of Kurt Weill, though he has so far failed to loom large in my life, and I can think of no connection between him and any English seaside resort.
                    The seaside resort features in a song (in German) for which Weill wrote the music.

Comment

• Simon

Well thanks scb - after a long google I've found Die Muschel von Margate. I do have to agree with ofca - this was not easy!

Comment

• subcontrabass
                        • Nov 2010

Well thanks scb - after a long google I've found Die Muschel von Margate. I do have to agree with ofca - this was not easy!
                        The only song (as far as I know) to feature my birthplace. Now for the European capital?

Comment

• Simon

Well, from Wiki it appears he wrote a Berlin Requiem!

So here is the X - there are two, one easy, one marginally less so.

A) What X connects a stargazer with the composer of Danse Macabre?

B) What X connects the state of Ohio with a beautiful Dutch Dido?

NB Those familiar with Amsterdam should not misread the final word

Comment

• Don Petter

PS I don't do the Times crossword but on the rare days when I buy or come across the DT, I can usually manage it in about half an hour. So I'm not thick. Am I?
                            Simon,

One man's meat, as we've said before! I really thought the Alabama Song was very well known (Lotte Lenya, David Bowie and all that), and so Weill was immediately obvious to me. Not so Margate, which was impossible without googling, I'd have thought. I do have a recording of the Berlin Requiem, so that confirmed it.

PS Half an hour for the Times crossword is about my benchmark as well.

Comment

• Don Petter

Well, from Wiki it appears he wrote a Berlin Requiem!

So here is the X - there are two, one easy, one marginally less so.

A) What X connects a stargazer with the composer of Danse Macabre?

B) What X connects the state of Ohio with a beautiful Dutch Dido?

NB Those familiar with Amsterdam should not misread the final word
                              Got A, I think, but will not reveal my guess in case it's a spoiler. B does look a harder nut.

Comment

• Simon

Yes Don - the problem with X is that there aren't that many words to choose from in the first place - especially music-related. I expect one could guess one of them without even considering the clues.

As we have to bear in mind, it depends on what one knows. I only needed to check 25% of the above X clues, but would never have managed the W without the help, as they are all completely without my sphere of knowledge.

I must say, though, that i've learned a few interesting snippets... so that's worthwhile.

Ofcachap - you've set some good ones - will you not at least pop in from tiime to time?

Comment

Working...
                                X