This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Gosh, Am51's really good and so fast! Small bit of trivia re Alhambra and Coutts' Bank. In The Gondoliers by G&S there is a character called Don Alhambra and in the finale a ditty which goes:
    The Aristocrat who banks with Coutts —
    The Aristocrat who hunts and shoots —
    The Aristocrat who cleans our boots —
    They all shall equal be!

I just post that to prove I was addressing the answer (with no success of course!)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Gosh, Am51's really good and so fast! Small bit of trivia re Alhambra and Coutts' Bank. In The Gondoliers by G&S there is a character called Don Alhambra and in the finale a ditty which goes:
      The Aristocrat who banks with Coutts —
      The Aristocrat who hunts and shoots —
      The Aristocrat who cleans our boots —
      They all shall equal be!

I just post that to prove I was addressing the answer (with no success of course!)
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Ooh, ain't you a bold young gennulman Sir Quite broght a flush to me cheeks that did.

Actually, my record during the last round has been dreadful, only solved one, nearly got the V, delayed posting another (can't remember which) whilst I formulated the next question (then got told off by rubbers for being presumptive or sommink) but all good fun. Have just (as I am still on hols) caught up with MasterChef, spherified shrimp balls and liquid nitrogen - no, they have no place in my kitchen. Just annointed a chicken with sticky lemon, garlic and rosemary glaze to let flavours permeate. Rustic simplicity, I think that describes me!

Comment

• rubbernecker

Ooh, ain't you a bold young gennulman Sir Quite broght a flush to me cheeks that did.

Actually, my record during the last round has been dreadful, only solved one, nearly got the V, delayed posting another (can't remember which) whilst I formulated the next question (then got told off by rubbers for being presumptive or sommink) but all good fun. Have just (as I am still on hols) caught up with MasterChef, spherified shrimp balls and liquid nitrogen - no, they have no place in my kitchen. Just annointed a chicken with sticky lemon, garlic and rosemary glaze to let flavours permeate. Rustic simplicity, I think that describes me!
          Presumptive? Surely not. I only suggested in response to your 'palindromic' musing that you weren't backwards in coming forward. It was perhaps a backhanded compliment, but a compliment nonetheless, and one which seems to have tickled Caliban. But we'll have no more talk of sticky annointings, thank you.

Perhaps, as Am51 has gorn orff, we can persuade you to set the B?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
            Presumptive? Surely not. I only suggested in response to your 'palindromic' musing that you weren't backwards in coming forward. It was perhaps a backhanded compliment, but a compliment nonetheless, and one which seems to have tickled Caliban. But we'll have no more talk of sticky annointings, thank you.

Perhaps, as Am51 has gorn orff, we can persuade you to set the B?
            rubbers, I cannot remember which letter it was, sometimes this whole thread seems like a blur, a dream, a mystical alphabetical cycle as I pick out fragments from my fragmented memory

No, Am51 says he'll be back, it would be very reprehensible of us to deprive him of the B, after all, it's not that we are addicted and can't cope without a new conundrum is it? Is it? Is it? Tell me we can get through the next hour and a half?

As for me sticky annointings, well, do you want to deprive me of my simple pleasures?

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

annointings? schmaanointings - anointings!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                annointings? schmaanointings - anointings!
                I always thought annoint was alternative spelling of anoint? I've always done the double N (being very flexible.) It seems logical as the N is double stressed?

Comment

• rubbernecker

It is a long time, especially in the fast-moving blur of the AA thread. I am sitting twiddling my thumbs and am trying to stop this moving on to other parts of my body.

Give us a B then, Mercia.

Comment

• Anna

It is a long time, especially in the fast-moving blur of the AA thread. I am sitting twiddling my thumbs and am trying to stop this moving on to other parts of my body.
                    Oh, I say! Is that too much information?

Actually, I am really peaceful here, in the Welsh sunshine, with my cordless headphones on listening to a Jules and Sand cd (as recommended by Caliban not long ago)

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

I always thought annoint was alternative spelling of anoint? I've always done the double N (being very flexible.) It seems logical as the N is double stressed?
                      Anna - 'fraid OED doesn't support you here...

Anoint, from old French enoint, Latin inunctum, past participle of enoindre, Latin inungere...

Comment

• rubbernecker

listening to a Jules and Sand cd (as recommended by Caliban not long ago)
                        Actually my recommendation to Tapiola, I think. Volumes 1 & 2. Do you need the headphones to keep the profanity from the ears of your fundamentalist neighbours?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          Anna - 'fraid OED doesn't support you here...

Anoint, from old French enoint, Latin inunctum, past participle of enoindre, Latin inungere...
                          So, Welsh: eneinia, eneinio, eneiniwch, ira, iro, irwch

Like the Welsh Eglyws for Eglise? And Pont (Bont) for bridge. Loads of Welsh words from them old Normans of course.

Comment

• rubbernecker

eneinia, eneinio, eneiniwch, ira, iro, irwch
                            I love it when you talk dirty

Comment

• Anna

Actually my recommendation to Tapiola, I think. Volumes 1 & 2. Do you need the headphones to keep the profanity from the ears of your fundamentalist neighbours?
                              The only fundamentalist neighbour I have it a Wagner fanatic/fundamentalist who says the width of Wagner's chords is better than an orgasm any day of the week and whose Uncle played for the Halle and has showered me with Mark Elder. Oh maybe, it was you that recommended it rather than Caliban? Anyway, it's really funny.

Comment

• rubbernecker

the width of Wagner's cords
                                Meaning his notoriously voluminous velvet pantaloons?

Comment

Working...
                                X