X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
    Actually, 'actuellement' means 'at present' or 'currently' (cf. 'les actualités' = the news.)
    On dit 'en fait' or 'à vrai dire'.
    well, suivez la piste!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

P.S. Forgot to mention - I'm happy to wait until 19.00 BST.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        well, suivez la piste!
        I tried, and fell of my bike. That noted diarist Alan Clarke spoke of somebody being 'economical with the actualité', so you're in good company.
        As I can't understand a word of Welsh, other than snwcer, I feel I need to keep the flag flying for those languages with which I can cope. (I tried watching Rugby from Wales on the red button with a commentary in Welsh. Other than the names of the players, I couldn't relate a single word to what was happening on the pitch. However, thanks to Julia Bradbury, I now know that there are two ways of pronouncing 'Dolgellau'.)

Comment

• amateur51

Hello m'dearios!

Thanks for putting me right about the Alhambra, Caliban - a much better answer [swot]

Righty-ho!

What 'B' -

a) developed classes for musical tunings used mapping pitches in a coordinate arrangement The keyboard was demonstrated in two instruments loaned permanently to the South Kensington Museum in 1876: a 4 1/2-octave harmonium tuned in 53 equal temperament with 84 keys per octave built by T. A. Jennings in 1872-3, and a 3-octave generalized keyboard organ built in 1875 with 48 notes per octave tuned to Hermann von Helmholtz' approximate just intonation (schismatic temperament) or 36 notes per octave tuned in quarter-comma meantone selected by means of draw stops. In 1877, speculating on papers about Indian śrutis, he relaxed the arrangement to permit mapping 22 equal temperament. (how utterly marvellous!!)

b) developed a delivery designed to deceive the batsman. When bowled, it appears to be a leg break, but after pitching the ball turns in the opposite direction to that which is expected, behaving as an off break instead.

c) developed a laconic somewhat slurred delivery, was held mostly in high affection by the public and his name may be found in the anagram 'ITN SQUARE GONE BALD'

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

c) is dear old Reginald Bosanquet of blessed memory
            b) Bernard Bosanquet
            a) Robert Holford Bosanquet

with a name like that I guess these gentlemen may have been related

Comment

• amateur51

Like sh*t off a shovel!

Bravo mercia!

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

I was a bit keen to get B because I researched a C the other day
                if I may

C

- a set of 18 songs
                - Camille's "organ concerto"
                - the Belgian detective nails Nurse Hopkins
                - Ferenc's 3rd year
                - a subsidiary of A&M

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  I was a bit keen to get B because I researched a C the other day
                  if I may

C

- a set of 18 songs
                  - Camille's "organ concerto"
                  - the Belgian detective nails Nurse Hopkins
                  - Ferenc's 3rd year
                  - a subsidiary of A&M
                  Cypress

Dvorak Song Cycle
                  Cyprès et Lauriers, Op. 156, for Organ and Orchestra
                  Agatha Christie Sad Cypress
                  Annees de Pelerinage Vol 3
                  Cypress Records

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

thanks rubbs

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      well, suivez la piste!
                      Piste? Already? It was only quarter-past 5?!

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Hello m'dearios!

Thanks for putting me right about the Alhambra, Caliban - a much better answer [swot]

Righty-ho!

What 'B' -

a) developed classes for musical tunings used mapping pitches in a coordinate arrangement The keyboard was demonstrated in two instruments loaned permanently to the South Kensington Museum in 1876: a 4 1/2-octave harmonium tuned in 53 equal temperament with 84 keys per octave built by T. A. Jennings in 1872-3, and a 3-octave generalized keyboard organ built in 1875 with 48 notes per octave tuned to Hermann von Helmholtz' approximate just intonation (schismatic temperament) or 36 notes per octave tuned in quarter-comma meantone selected by means of draw stops. In 1877, speculating on papers about Indian śrutis, he relaxed the arrangement to permit mapping 22 equal temperament. (how utterly marvellous!!)

b) developed a delivery designed to deceive the batsman. When bowled, it appears to be a leg break, but after pitching the ball turns in the opposite direction to that which is expected, behaving as an off break instead.

c) developed a laconic somewhat slurred delivery, was held mostly in high affection by the public and his name may be found in the anagram 'ITN SQUARE GONE BALD'
                      Just finished reading item a) in your question... and you call ME a swot

A leviathan of a question, elegantly hooked and sliced up by mercia.... to whose question we now turn EDIT: or would do if Rubbernecker Minor, the ArchSwot of the Remove, hadn't stuck his virtual hand in the air with a "me sir, me sir, me sir!!!"....

Seriously, great fun you've pitched in, Monsieur l'Amateur :cool2:
                      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 21-04-11, 19:45. Reason: Overtaken by rubbery swottiness
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Norfolk Born

He's a real pro, that amateur 51.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          or would do if Rubbernecker Minor, the ArchSwot of the Remove, hadn't stuck his virtual hand in the air with a "me sir, me sir, me sir!!!"...
                          Oh, hardly. I think 26 minutes was a perfectly civilised interval. You could listen to a whole Mozart piano concerto in that time.

What D links the hawk, a sour note and a 1962 hit?

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                            Oh, hardly. I think 26 minutes was a perfectly civilised interval. You could listen to a whole Mozart piano concerto in that time.

What D links the hawk, a sour note and a 1962 hit?
                            devil?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              devil?
                              ...is in the detail, of which there seems to be none in your post, o comely one

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                                ...is in the detail, of which there seems to be none in your post, o comely one

well certainly Marty Robbins "Devil Woman" [1962]

and I was thinking of the tritone diabolus in musica - tho' that's perhaps a chord rather than a note -

and there must be some Devil Hawks out there if I rootle about a bit...

Comment

Working...
                                X