This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon View Post
    Well, from Wiki it appears he wrote a Berlin Requiem!

So here is the X - there are two, one easy, one marginally less so.

A) What X connects a stargazer with the composer of Danse Macabre?

B) What X connects the state of Ohio with a beautiful Dutch Dido?
    Got there with some difficulty, but I will hold fire as I have set far too many questions.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      Got there with some difficulty, but I will hold fire as I have set far too many questions.
      See what happens by the morning? I've got nowhere with B, though I haven't yet tried to use any electronic aid.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        See what happens by the morning? I've got nowhere with B, though I haven't yet tried to use any electronic aid.
        Electronic aids are of limited use until you get a handle on a work that starts with 'X'.

Comment

Electronic aids are of limited use until you get a handle on a work that starts with 'X'.
          Hmm. I wonder if you have got there, scb! I'd be fascinated to know what you've come up with, but the answer to 2 is not a work, but a name. A knowledge of Greek mythology helps... as so often with things starting with X.

Comment

Same here.

Comment

Iannis Xenakis

I used one of his compositions as an avatar here. I used one that he marked up in primary colours. His compositions are on display at MOMA/NYC.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                Hmm. I wonder if you have got there, scb! I'd be fascinated to know what you've come up with, but the answer to 2 is not a work, but a name. A knowledge of Greek mythology helps... as so often with things starting with X.
                The work I am thinking of has the name of a person from ancient history (rather than mythology) as its title.

Comment

The work I am thinking of has the name of a person from ancient history (rather than mythology) as its title.
                  och aye .. .. i am thinkin'

Comment

Hi there Sigolene,

I can assure you that I would never, ever, refer to Xenakis in this kind of thread. In fact, I'm unlikely ever again to refer to him at all, as I would have to use terms that would offend others. And on these boards I'm a reformed character!

bws Simon

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                      Same here.
                      Just out of interest, subcontrabass: might we not actually be dealing (as far as B is concerned) with two names that differ by one letter?

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                        Just out of interest, subcontrabass: might we not actually be dealing (as far as B is concerned) with two names that differ by one letter?
                        No. I have Ohio and the Dutch lady linked to the same name.

Comment

och aye Simon ... ...

uh, any of these

Xander
                          Xanthus
                          Xanto
                          Xenon
                          Xenos
                          Xerxes
                          Xylia

Comment

No. I have Ohio and the Dutch lady linked to the same name.
                            In that case, one of us is barking up the wrong tree - probably yours truly!

Comment

Zelma George ?

Comment

bedtime for me i jumped to Z for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's of restful sleep

Comment

Working...
                                X