X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm off to bed now - I'm on my own atm so I can listen to the cricket for a little while.

I imagine you've got the first, so maybe best to give Don et al half an hour in the morning to have a brief wander around Ohio and Holland! I'll try to log on and provide the answer I had in mind by 1000 GMT.

Sleep well, all!

S-S!

Comment

Not much progress here. Ramblings include:

Xanthippe? Oh! 'Ell(i Ameling)!

Without googling for Xs, the only others I couild think of were Xenophon (real, not mythological) and Xerxes (a Handel work, and you said it wasn't a work). Ameling did sing Dido, but I doubt the above is anywhere near the truth. Apart from OH being the abbreviation for Ohio (Could there be an aria "Oh....something" in the answer) there is an Athens in Ohio, which is Greek if not necessarily mythological.

Comment

eks

Comment

Originally posted by sigolene euphemia View Post
          eks
          Was that a hiccup?

Comment

Xeres the Great 465bc ? ? ?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
              Was that a hiccup?
              naw, practicing my phonetics for X

Comment

Is this Xenia as in Xenia Holland Steam ships and Xenia, Ohio.
                Cellist Xenia Janovic

?

Comment

Looks like Simon is running late. I'm out for a bit now - will look back later.

Comment

Sorry for delay - yes, have had to go out and do something that I didn't expect!

Anyway, it's Xenia. Xenia is a town in Ohio - " the hospitality town" - and Xenia is also Miss Xenia Meijer, who is famous as Dido in the Dutch TV production. She was mentioned on the old boards a few times. Here she is - only matched by Janet Baker, in my opinion! Xenia is also the Greek concept of hospitality. I wouldn't have expected many to get this one without a quick google.

Dido's lament from Purcell's Dido&Aeneas, by the mezzo Xenia Meijer. She teaches Singing in the conservatory of Tilburg, The Netherlands. More info about thi...

And the first X was, of course, a Xylophone: Patrick Moore and Saint-Saens the first composer to use one in an orchestra.

So whoever wants Y is welcome to go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                      Miss Xenia Meijer, who is famous as Dido in the Dutch TV production
                      Doh! Of course!
                      So whoever wants Y is welcome to go for it!
                      Sigolene, you had Xenia, at least...

Comment

Anyway, it's Xenia. Xenia is a town in Ohio - " the hospitality town" - and Xenia is also Miss Xenia Meijer, who is famous as Dido in the Dutch TV production.
                        Another question with more than one logical answer. Xerxes is a large company operating in Ohio. Carla Maria Meijer (any relation to Xenia?) has sung both the roles of Dido and Xerxes (the only Dutch singer I could find for both roles).

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                          Sigolene, you had Xenia, at least...
                          I too think it's Sig's Y - over to you when you're ready?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                            I too think it's Sig's Y - over to you when you're ready?
                            REALLY moi, ? I worked my brain search engines got on the tele, hooked to the wall, remember those, asked friends, and WOW !

so Y, I have to well ponder and think for this is not something I am speedo about.

And, I really want to do this by brain power, not google power, so if someone gets the itch to do Y, please be my guest.

so, i'm thinkin'

sigolene

Comment

Originally posted by sigolene euphemia View Post
                              REALLY moi, ? I worked my brain search engines got on the tele, hooked to the wall, remember those, asked friends, and WOW !

so Y, I have to well ponder and think for this is not something I am speedo about.

And, I really want to do this by brain power, not google power, so if someone gets the itch to do Y, please be my guest.

so, i'm thinkin'

sigolene
                              Go, Sigo!!!! :cool2:
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Go, Sigo!!!! :cool2:
                                Don't rush - It always feels as if everyone is watching and waiting to pounce, but most of us only look back in now and again, I suspect. (I will be going out for the evening, for instance.)

Comment

Working...
                                X