X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    At work today but I had a good old play last night - a very nice simple side lamp which was so nice and cheap that I think I'm going to get a second
    OMIGOD, Caliban shops at IKEA! Thought you were more of a Liberty chap meself

they will form a symmetrical pair at strategic points in the room... And the amazing thing to me (perhaps I am naive, and such things are, like so much, the on dit of sophisticated Welsh interior decoration) ... the truly amazing thing is that they are touch controlled: you touch anywhere on it, and it turns on, first low - then brighter - then brightest - then off again. Seems like magic to me.
    Well yes, of course Ducky, symmetry (you know, balance), well that has been the on dit for years here, gotta have your Staffs dogs balanced just-so on the mantlepiece and wonderful, wonderful it is, your childlike enthusiasm for touch controlled lamps (Gawd Jules, I don't think he is half as sophisticated as he likes to make out, bet he's been playing with it all night thinking it's magic!)

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      Anna - Manuel singing Aznavour's She was certainly what I had in mind for that element.

I was unaware of his involvement with the Molly Bloom - interesting.... No, I'm looking for someone else here...
      I was a bit unsure of that being correct as what you were looking for. Oh well, maybe I have given a clue to others .....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        OMIGOD, Caliban shops at IKEA! Thought you were more of a Liberty chap meself
        Good Lord, no, neither one... John Lewis, my dear. It's this dinky number: http://www.johnlewis.com/153867/Style.aspx

Well yes, of course Ducky, symmetry (you know, balance), well that has been the on dit for years here, gotta have your Staffs dogs balanced just-so on the mantlepiece and wonderful, wonderful it is, your childlike enthusiasm for touch controlled lamps (Gawd Jules, I don't think he is half as sophisticated as he likes to make out, bet he's been playing with it all night thinking it's magic!)
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

I was a bit unsure of that being correct as what you were looking for. Oh well, maybe I have given a clue to others .....
          o Anna - I hope this doesn't mean you're giving up....

... what A connects -

- a one-dimensional singular noise;

- Basil ('the Rat')'s Manuel singing about Her;

- a Joycean homage?
          ... might it help if i said the first element was nautical and the third Italian?

Comment

• Anna

[COLOR="blue"]Good Lord, no, neither one... John Lewis, my dear.
            Oh, I got the same in look, in this very room, glass upright rectangles (how very, very, spooky is that?!) arranged symmetrically. That means one at each corner but not touch tone, from IKEA but I see yours says "It is not suitable for use with CFL 80% energy efficient bulbs" but these energy efficients are a bit slow aren't they, hiding lights under bushels.

Edit: messed up me quotes again!

Comment

• Anna

o Anna - I hope this doesn't mean you're giving up....

... might it help if i said the first element was nautical and the third Italian?
              vinteuil, I do have to go, would you like this I wonder? I think, if you are a Joyce fan, it's quite lovely.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Anna - now by the blessed Bridget herself was it that you were knowing that your Joyce man and his books was just the potatoes for me! - that Joyce site is a splendid thing, so it is, to be sure. And I'm the man that is to be thanking you for it, so I am, bejasus...

Comment

• Anna

Anna - now by the blessed Bridget herself was it that you were knowing that your Joyce man and his books was just the potatoes for me! - that Joyce site is a splendid thing, so it is, to be sure. And I'm the man that is to be thanking you for it, so I am, bejasus...
                  Oh, I say, I am quite overcome vint, but tis a wonderful site, to be sure, to be sure, to be sure. And I am even not having an Irish bone in me body. But, if you liked it, then I'm happy.

Comment

• Angle
                    • Dec 2010

I might be going a long way round, possibly even the wrong way but was not a man from Trieste a model for Leopold Bloom? A man whose pseudonym was Aron Italia Svevo, very much influenced by Joyce.

On the 13 September 1980, Radio 3 broadcast a dramatised translation of his THE CONFESSIONS OF ZENO.

But now I don't kno where I am going.

I shall try another tack.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Oh, I got the same in look, in this very room, glass upright rectangles (how very, very, spooky is that?!) arranged symmetrically. That means one at each corner....
                      Same here - one in each corner! Spooky indeed!

We are in sync, Miss Anna - like trains on parallel tracks... Toot toot!

Stopped off at JL on the way home for the second so it shall be installed presently after a spot of microwaved Tesco's finest

Comment

• Angle
                        • Dec 2010

Anna came up with- Basil ('the Rat')'s Manuel singing about Her; Manuel singing Aznavour's She

Tip-toeing down another route - Aznavour led to
                        - a Joycean homage? Aznavour and Dee Shipman together devised and wrote the songs for a musical workshop of Molly Bloom's soliloquy from James Joyce's Ulysses, performed at Edinburgh by Eartha Kitt but it doesn't seem to be very Italian.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                          Anna came up with- Basil ('the Rat')'s Manuel singing about Her; Manuel singing Aznavour's She

Tip-toeing down another route - Aznavour led to
                          - a Joycean homage? Aznavour and Dee Shipman together devised and wrote the songs for a musical workshop of Molly Bloom's soliloquy from James Joyce's Ulysses, performed at Edinburgh by Eartha Kitt but it doesn't seem to be very Italian.
                          No, Aznavour is the 'answer' to element two, but is not the A we are looking for. And he is not involved with the pieces of music in the other two elements...

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                            I might be going a long way round, possibly even the wrong way but was not a man from Trieste a model for Leopold Bloom? A man whose pseudonym was Aron Italia Svevo, very much influenced by Joyce.

On the 13 September 1980, Radio 3 broadcast a dramatised translation of his THE CONFESSIONS OF ZENO.

But now I don't know where I am going.

I shall try another tack.
                            Angle - sorry, just to confirm that this wd not be a helpful line to pursue...
                            (but Italo Svevo is a great writer, by the way....)

Comment

• amateur51

**Skips lightly into the room**

Hello Everybody!

Have you missed me? I been a-galivanting, innit.

So tell me playmates, what's up?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Heartface! Nice to vader your eke!

We're tussling with Vints's "A" and I've had a conversation about lighting with Anna.

Your absence along with Rubbernecker's led me to speculate about pasta dough....

Comment

Working...
                                X