X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    Anna - sorry - I never got to Fanning (my empire was so ginormous!) - as you're probably aware it's part of the Line Islands, a long way away from the main Kiribati (Gilbert) group - my only involvement was a vague awareness that Fanning was a key relay-station in the cable link between NZ:Australia - Fiji - British Columbia - and that we had people who were concerned with it - but that otherwise it was a pretty isolated atoll...

Were your family involved with the cable network??
    It seems so, re the cable network (I have more to reseach on this) and also with very strong Oz connections re a brother of his but, probably, knowing my family, only there for the Rum Punch!!! And, I have to say, to get married bigamously after fleeing his wife in England. Anyway, he stayed there for quite a while before moving on to N.Z. It, from the pix, looks idyllic. I also have close family in Bermuda

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      A clue or 2 might be good!
      Forgive the interruption...

You're looking for an opera, a violinist and a rock group who've been going for over four decades

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
        What F

- features baubles in its middle;
        - has just been awarded gold;
        - has just done something dirty?

Just reminding everyone what we are here for!! No more talk of Wills and Kate!! Rubbers wants an answer

And, the answer is not Florestan nor Fugue, Fritz, Florence, Ferguson, Fuchs, Fermata, Feux Follets, Faure, Frankfurt, Fandango, Five, Fancy, Four, or Ferrier

Edit: cross posting again (rubbers pops up when you least expect him)

Comment

• Anna

Forgive the interruption...

You're looking for an opera, a violinist and a rock group who've been going for over four decades
          No idea Ducks. I did think The Fall of the House of Usher and The Fall and The Fall by Gorrilalz and that violin player who tripped over and crushed his violin, and even, Reggie Perrin, Rise & Fall. Oh well, me chook with a sticky anioitment is doing nicely.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Sorry - no idea here, either. If things don't perk up, I'm sure Caliban or I would be only to happy to enthral you with full details of how, and why, Mary got rear-ended and ended up with sweet and sour sauce on her face before delivering Graham and his 'wife' into the hands of the very Government official they were seeking to escape.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I haven't seen the week's Corries - the omnibus will feature tomorrow sometime - so I won't be able to help until then! In the meantime, however, I think I can offer a solution:

F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-Faust?

It's an opera - no idea what the baubles are about though.

Isabelle Faust is a violinist and I am sure she must have received a gold award of some sort somewhere recently - maybe a Diapason d'Or in France? - maybe for the Beethoven VC which came top in BAL recently.

I've just had a quick look, and there is a German (I think) rock band called Faust, formed in 1971 apparently...

Any good to you, rubbers?
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                [COLOR="blue"], I think I can offer a solution:

Faust?

]
                Calibers - I'm sure y're right here - and don't forget the 'Jewel Scene' from Faust - Bianca Castafiore was always singing it in the Tintin books....

Comment

• rubbernecker

I haven't seen the week's Corries - the omnibus will feature tomorrow sometime - so I won't be able to help until then! In the meantime, however, I think I can offer a solution:

F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-Faust?

Isabelle Faust is a violinist and I am sure she must have received a gold award of some sort somewhere recently - maybe a Diapason d'Or in France? - maybe for the Beethoven VC which came top in BAL recently.

I've just had a quick look, and there is a German (I think) rock band called Faust, formed in 1971 apparently...

Any good to you, rubbers?
                  Oh, Caliban, that sounds very good to me. Music to my ears, in fact.

Well done. You are no doubt familiar with the Jewel aria from Act 3 of Faust even though you don't profess to be. Isabelle won the Diapason d'Or in 2010 for her Brahms. And Faust's (or Fist's, as that is the German meaning) most recent album is called, appropriately enough, Something Dirty.

I'm surprised we hadn't had Faust before. I thought it was quite an obvious one, which is why I made it quite hard. Oooh...

Anyway, no doubt you can G us along again

I expect Ofca will nevertheless still be telling us about the rear-ending...
                  Last edited by Guest; 29-04-11, 21:01.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Oh, Caliban, that sounds very good to me. Music to my ears, in fact.

Well done. You are no doubt familiar with the Jewel aria from Act 3 of Faust even though you don't profess to be. Isabelle won the Diapason d'Or in 2010 for her Brahms. And Faust's (or Fist's, as that is the German meaning) most recent album is called, appropriately enough, Something Dirty.

I'm surprised we hadn't had Faust before. I thought it was quite an obvious one, which is why I made it quite hard. Oooh...

Anyway, no doubt you can G us along again

I only know the Jewel piece from the Tintin books cited by vinteuil - I always giggle at the sight of Captain Haddock's hair streaming backwards in the draught and his monocle springing out whenever La Castafiore lets rip. The mother of a friend is a singer, and I christened her the same: even in a normal speaking voice, she can be heard in several counties at once, and has a similarly ample décolleté to the sainted Bianca.

Leave G with me...

Comment

• Anna

I am all weddinged out. I never want to see another repeat. Enough is enough. Fancy vintueil knowing about Fanning Island! That, to me, is amazing. No-one else I know has ever heard of it!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

What G unites:

1. A water feature named after an old man;
                        2. Another water feature named after a younger Englishman who first explored it in the early 17th century;
                        3. A title which lacked the stars of something similar about 40 years later?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

No need - the threat worked!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                            No need - the threat worked!

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

2. Another water feature named after a younger Englishman who first explored it in the early 17th century
                              Hudson ....Bay ...... River ......?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                Hudson ....Bay ...... River ......?
                                Good morning, and Bravo, mercia! Drop the word Bay from that answer, and you got No. 2 Hudson River it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X