X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anybody would like a (genuinely!) straightforward alternative 'Y' question, in order to decide who sets 'Z', I shall be happy to oblige.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
      Que?

Sony Studios in Culver City, California loaned a senior digital compositor over to the animated series Arthur a PBS Children's Program for guest appearances of real humans with the animated characters. I don't know other than binary - 1 and 0 is the realm of a digital compositor.

Viola ! Some of the guests on 'Arthur' ~

Jack Prelutsky
      Fred Rogers
      Art Garfunkel - Garfunkel appears as "the singing moose."
      Yo-Yo Ma - Ma appears as Redman's rival.
      Joshua Redman
      Alex Trebek -
      The Backstreet Boys
      Tom and Ray Magliozzi
      Arthur Ganson
      Koko Taylor
      Taj Mahal - As himself who helps George write music.
      Frank Gehry
      Rodney Gilfry - Appears in the episode "Lights, Camera, Opera".
      Lance Armstrong
      Johnny Damon
      Edgar RenterĂ­a
      Mike Timlin
      Ming Tsai
      Matt Damon
      Philip Seymour Hoffman
      Neil Gaiman
      Michael Fincke

Last evening my daughter and I were exchanger's of heated comments. She insisted Arthur is an anteater but he is an ARDVARK! We have a ten day Goggle rule chez moi. Have a question, find a person, discover the answer without Google. I just broke the rule.

siggy

Comment

If anybody would like a (genuinely!) straightforward alternative 'Y' question, in order to decide who sets 'Z', I shall be happy to oblige.
        Ofca, I propose you set "Z" unless your "Y" question is particularly felicitous... Then again, you could save the "Y" question for the next whirl around the alphabet... Glad to see you're still here anyway!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

If it's OK with everybody, I'd like to offer this 'Y' question as a kind of 'tie-break', the first person to submit the correct answer then qualifying to set 'Z'.

Which colour pervades this story? (Please explain your 4 answers).

AT the end of the highway, Dorothy and her friends came upon a pianist and orchestra playing a work arranged from an earlier cantata. They then proceeded underwater to Liverpool, singing the title song from a John Ford movie.

I look forward to congratulating somebody before too long!
          Last edited by Guest; 07-01-11, 15:17.

Comment

If it's OK with everybody, I'd like to offer this 'Y' question as a kind of 'tie-break', the first person to submit the correct answer then qualifying to set 'Z'.

AT the end of the highway, Dorothy and her friends came upon a pianist and orchestra playing a work arranged from an earlier cantata. They then proceeded underwater to Liverpool, singing the title song from a John Ford movie.

well, it's yeller, innit?

Yellow Brick Road in "Wizard of Oz"
            "Yellow River" cantata etc by Xiang Xinghai
            "Yellow Submarine" by les Beetles
            "Yellow Ribbon" (She wore a )

Comment

I'm going to regret this but here goes ...

After walking down the YELLOW brick road, Dorothy and her friends listened to the YELLOW River Piano Concerto which was based on the YELLOW River cantata. After that they got into the YELLOW submarine, singing along with Tie a YELLOW ribbon....

Could we skip Z please ?

Comment

Brilliant...skin of the teeth...vinteuil beat me to it...and thence the Z..by a few seconds.

Comment

That is almost too easy, but I do not want to set any more questions for a while, so I will not give an answer.

Comment

It was meant to be easy, just so that we could all move on.... Vinteuil got there first. BTW, BTS, the fourth part of your answer is wrong, as you will see from other people's answers.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      well, it's yeller, innit?

Yellow Brick Road in "Wizard of Oz"
                      "Yellow River" cantata etc by Xiang Xinghai
                      "Yellow Submarine" by les Beetles
                      "Yellow Ribbon" (She wore a )
                      Allez, vinteuil.... envoie la zauce!!!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Allez, vinteuil.... envoie la zauce!!!
                        which Z

- had a fourth marriage which was nothing but a blank page

- gave us a puzzling royal meal

- might have allowed this central American nation to expand

Comment

which Z

Thanks vint - like a refreshing breeze. I found Y all too fraught, and I still don't know who Arthur was (and thankfully now don't need to know). No ideas yet, but I'll work on it, in between my birthday celebrations (don't ask).

Comment

Don't be disheartened, siggy - it was just too complicated for us poor Brits! And we're all glad you're enjoying looking in at our machinations. But if you do another one, please give us a chance, eh?

---

The second X one, as you said, could have had more than one answer, (I now realise!) though I still think the one I had in mind was, after a google, far more obvious. As we've realised though, what is easy for one is wildly obscure for another. The kids found the same, so I'm told, with the ones I did for them!

Comment

Every day we learn, Mr. Fawlty...(well, I certainly do).

Comment

which Z

Zimmermann

1. Maiden name of Ethel Merman whose fourth marriage to Ernest Borgnine lasted 38 days and merited only a chapter heading in her autobiography

2. C20 German composer of the ballet "Les Soupers du Roi Ubu"

3. The Zimmermann Telegram was an invitation by Germany to Mexico to declare war on the USA in 1917

Back of the net! (As Alan Partridge would say...)

Comment

Working...
                                X