X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't remember reading that in Composers I Have Net, Anna. A lovely story; one to treasure.

Well, I too am back and I have to report folks that despite being ever alert I did not see anyone in London wearing a pork pie hat! Not anywhere! Imagine the disappointment.

What letter are we up to and has it been set ? There seem to be many pages on which it might have cropped up and I haven't the energy after a train journey, to plough through them all.

What's needed now is a cuppa.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Well, actually, it's quite funny. I was on the late train from Manchester to a station in the sticks in Wales. There was a deaf bloke in the carriage who seemed confused about where he was and where to get off. So, as you do, I took him under my wing.

Anyway, we trolled off the train at Aber - not a taxi in sight. Public phone box broken. I did not have a mobile but espied this elderly man sitting down with a phone so I asked him if he could phone a taxi for me. So, he did and he said his regular driver reported all the cabbies had been out on the pop the previous night so none were available.

Oh Great, I think. But, bless him, he phoned deaf bloke's son in Ebbw, so that was sorted and when the taxi arrived I asked if I could accompany. Maiden in Distress. So I did. So, off we set, stopping at the Spar while he bought a bottle and whilst elderly bloke was inside Cabbie kept talking about 'The Doctor' so I thinks to myself he is a Medic at the local hospital. Then the Cabbie talks about classical music and I realise, I am sharing a cab with Vernon Handley, who said he just finished recording the Bax cycle! So, over hill, over dale talking about composers we went and landed up at his house where he was greated by his two lovely dogs and then back, then over hill and dale to mine.

Cabbie said Vernon had been a treasure, recording classical music for him to play in the cab and educating him. He seemed such a lovely guy and, a real gentleman. He told me to look out for a composer called Matthews. Did he mean Christopher?
      Brilliant story, beautifully told, Anna. What a nice man!

A E Matthews? 1'30" into this clip - they don't make 'em like that any more

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Well, actually, it's quite funny. I was on the late train from Manchester to a station in the sticks in Wales. There was a deaf bloke in the carriage who seemed confused about where he was and where to get off. So, as you do, I took him under my wing.

Anyway, we trolled off the train at Aber - not a taxi in sight. Public phone box broken. I did not have a mobile but espied this elderly man sitting down with a phone so I asked him if he could phone a taxi for me. So, he did and he said his regular driver reported all the cabbies had been out on the pop the previous night so none were available.

Oh Great, I think. But, bless him, he phoned deaf bloke's son in Ebbw, so that was sorted and when the taxi arrived I asked if I could accompany. Maiden in Distress. So I did. So, off we set, stopping at the Spar while he bought a bottle and whilst elderly bloke was inside Cabbie kept talking about 'The Doctor' so I thinks to myself he is a Medic at the local hospital. Then the Cabbie talks about classical music and I realise, I am sharing a cab with Vernon Handley, who said he just finished recording the Bax cycle! So, over hill, over dale talking about composers we went and landed up at his house where he was greated by his two lovely dogs and then back, then over hill and dale to mine.

Cabbie said Vernon had been a treasure, recording classical music for him to play in the cab and educating him. He seemed such a lovely guy and, a real gentleman. He told me to look out for a composer called Matthews. Did he mean Christopher?
        Brilliant story, Anna.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia
          Colin or David?

lovely story Anna
          I keep racking my brains mercia and, I don't know but I think it was Colin, Anyway, that's my one claim to fame. Except, I spent an evening with .............

Now, on to the N. But I must cook.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia
            come along now, you can't dangle that

the kitchen can look after itself
            On with the motley and the latest puzzle and let us be sensible about we may have met. Otherwise, we will sound like a load of groupies!
            Last edited by Guest; 03-05-11, 17:19.

Comment

Vernon Handley rescued me once. Not a lot of people can say that.
              ...rescued you from what (or whom)?

EDIT:
              I see that all has already been explained!

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                - a Norwegian grotto
                in the capital

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  in the capital
                  Zappa - Oslo - Norwegian Wood?

Comment

Zappa - Oslo - Norwegian Wood?
                    er, no, sorry, my N is a composer

Comment

I love the story!

And do you want to know what's really spooky? Guess which CD is in my CD player right now... CD4 from that VH Bax set!! I discovered the "Rogue's Comedy Overture" this weekend....

Could be our theme tune...
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Here you go, Anna & Caliban - your man working hard in Bax.

it's great sense he speaks and note the wonderful wink he gives someone at around 56" - it's the way he winks 'em!

Comment

Can't find the original question, but the answer is Arne Nordheim.

Lived in the Grotten next to the state palace in Oslo, a friend of Frank's, wrote Magma in 1988. His ballet The Tempest features the alarming-sounding 'double voice of Caliban'

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                            congratulations on answering an unknown question !

needless to say, correct in all respects

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post

Lived in the Grotten next to the state palace in Oslo, a friend of Frank's, wrote Magma in 1988. His ballet The Tempest features the alarming-sounding 'double voice of Caliban'
                              You're a terrible swot, Rubbers... I say....You're a terrible swot, Rubbers

Am51: loved that Handley vid, thanks!
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                You're a terrible swot, Rubbers... I say....You're a terrible swot, Rubbers
                                How that creature doth abuse mine ears...

I have an O, but I'm just wondering how I can make it more difficult

Comment

Working...
                                X