X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's the 'Alla Marcia' from the 'Karelia' suite and 'At The Castle Gate' from Pelleas and Melisande. But are we actually looking for a piece that begins with A?

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
      There's the 'Alla Marcia' from the 'Karelia' suite and 'At The Castle Gate' from Pelleas and Melisande. But are we actually looking for a piece that begins with A?
      Good point. According Simon's circular rule, the three perimeter clues should point to the central 'A', but need not (and probably don't) start with it.

Comment

Yes, a very good point.

It was the way the question was phrased that got me along those lines ... "what A links ..." but I accept that this may have been incorrect reasoning on my part. Sorry.

Ah well .. I suppose that only makes it harder.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
          According Simon's circular rule, the three perimeter clues should point to the central 'A', but need not (and probably don't) start with it.

W - w - w - whaaaat???!?!??!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

All three links utilise the same A word.

Simon, you are hot on the scent in #592

I don't mean 'popular' in the sense of well-known. More in a horticultural sense, perhaps...?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post

I don't mean 'popular' in the sense of well-known. More in a horticultural sense, perhaps...?

You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her drink.

Your clues and hints are causing me to toy with a couple of words, but neither begins with 'A'....
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

DP: Good point. According Simon's circular rule, the three perimeter clues should point to the central 'A', but need not (and probably don't) start with it.

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

W - w - w - whaaaat???!?!??!
                Sorry - that must have sounded like the preliminary to Mornington Crescent if you hadn't seen or remembered Simon's request (and he instigated the thread, after all) in M283:

"Well, whilst we get on with this, perhaps the rules need reiterating, as I think they are important in making the exercise doable by those of a narrower general musical knowledge, like me.

Please try to think of it like a circle with a central answer in the middle. Around this answer, all pointing inwards, are the "arrows" of the clues, eache linking in some way to the answer. There can be three or more, depending on the question setter's judgement of the need."

I hope this explains things!

Comment

Ah - So I was right about the possible 'extramural' meaning of popular. (Not that I have found it yet.)

Comment

Aspen?

Comment

Aspen?
                      Pray elucidate?

Comment

Pray elucidate?
                        Still formulating (poncy word for guessing), but there is an Aspen School and/or festival in the States, Cage, Feldman and Cale all had some associations with eachother and might have been connected with it, as might Joshua. Aspen, the tree, is I think a poplar (popular - bad pun?). Can't get Sibelius involved yet though.

Comment

Ah, you mean "poplar."

Now it's all clear...

Comment

Still formulating (poncy word for guessing), but there is an Aspen School and/or festival in the States, Cage, Feldman and Cale all had some associations with eachother and might have been connected with it, as might Joshua. Aspen, the tree, is I think a poplar (popular - bad pun?). Can't get Sibelius involved yet though.
                            You've got the right answer but only one out of the three clues. Aspen Summer School of Music and Festival in Colorado, responsible for nurturing (hothousing) young talent such as Joshua Bell. Cage, Cale and Feldman are connected with clue 3. Surprised you haven't connected Sibelius yet...
                            Can anyone complete this?

Comment

Sorry - that must have sounded like the preliminary to Mornington Crescent if you hadn't seen or remembered Simon's request (and he instigated the thread, after all) in M283:

"Well, whilst we get on with this, perhaps the rules need reiterating, as I think they are important in making the exercise doable by those of a narrower general musical knowledge, like me.

Please try to think of it like a circle with a central answer in the middle. Around this answer, all pointing inwards, are the "arrows" of the clues, eache linking in some way to the answer. There can be three or more, depending on the question setter's judgement of the need."

I hope this explains things!
                              Not really. I think I'll wait for the Dummies' Round (assuming there'll be one).

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                                Ah, you mean "poplar."

Now it's all clear...

Yes, the genus Populus

Comment

Working...
                                X