X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

son of Broadheath = Elgar, composed Starlight Express, the title of which was filched for a musical on roller skates, the former of which was written by a certain V

The Have a Go pianist was surely no less than a certain Ena played by a certain V

By now I have the V but no idea who the harpsichordist turned into an an opera is.

Comment

|JUst clarifying what few thoughts I have :

V P wrote the book on which Elgar based "Starlight Express" the title of which was used by someone else as the title of a musical on roller skates

V C played the piano in Have-a-Go. She is much better known as the fictional character, Ena.

The harpsichordist turned into an opera? Mind goes blank. (V G ?)

Adriana's death by V is fairly straightforward.

I am working all alone here? I am living in isolation ?

Back to the coffin.

Comment

no, you are doing very well, 3 out of 4 and vint. has the other one (+ one of yours)

somebody better declare the V word and spell it all out

EDIT you have all 4 Angle, VG is indeed the harpsichordist

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          the wikipedia page on the harpsichordist reveals an astonishing personal life!
          Almost as colourful as Percy Grainger's. I had no idea. Thanks to Mercia, I shall go to bed knowing a lot more than I did an hour ago .

Comment

Violet

Violet Pearn wrote the book on which Elgar based Starlight Express. The same title was used by Lloyd Webber for his musical on skates.
            Violet Carson played the Have-a-Go piano.
            Violet Kate Eglinton Gwynne, harpsichordist, was the subject of Roger Scruton's opera "Violet"
            Adriana died from breathing the perfume of poisoned violets sent to her by Mauricio

Comment

Just returned and it's only the Corrie link that gives a clue about the V.... Why is everyone being so damned coy about it, all these initials? Has someone got a flaming super-injunction, or what????

EDIT: Cross-posting again, ygad!!!! Thanks Angle!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                Almost as colourful as Percy Grainger's. I had no idea. Thanks to Mercia, I shall go to bed knowing a lot more than I did an hour ago .
                Seconded, rubbers! It's a wonder she ever found time to play the harpsichord.

Angle: Congratulations on the first ménage-à-cinq to grace the R3 Forum!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Glad to see you around, Caliban. By this time in the evening, most people usually seem to have gone to bed - or are they listening to the live concert? We might never know.

It looks as if I have the W but setting it now will probably mean that I have rise early tomorrow! PTT.

Ah well, in the hope of getting answers before I go to beddie-byes (Is that how to spell it?), here is the next puzzle:

What W

Was the famous writer about the woman who lived in the water?
                  Was or appeared to be reluctant to get married to a Lancashire lass?
                  Had a father who studied moths, butrerflies and the like while his son played the piano?

The first element is non-musical.

Comment

well, that should have been butterflies

Comment

well done indeed Angle

I'm logging off now. Night all.

I wonder how Anna's getting on with her swede
                      Last edited by mercia; 05-05-11, 06:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                        well, that should have been butterflies
                        You can edit your posts, you know, Angle. One's lacunae and indiscretions need never be cast in stone as they were on the old boards. You just click on the 'edit post' button. Sorry if that sounds all eggs and grandmothers...

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          I wonder how Anna's getting on with her swede
                          Oh! I merely prepared a dish of roasted root vegetables. Honestly. You boys!!

Edit: Like mercia, I prefer to be uptucked early with a good book so I am going now
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-05-11, 21:57.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, rubbernecker. Caliban gave me that one, too, and mostly I use it. I am one of those who just isn't able to proof-read his own work until after it is posted. This time, I just didn't want to litter the clues with EDIT marks.

It's beginning to look as though I must get up early tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                              What W

Was the famous writer about the woman who lived in the water?
                              Was or appeared to be reluctant to get married to a Lancashire lass?
                              Had a father who studied moths, butrerflies and the like while his son played the piano?
                              well these are Walters I think

Walter Scott's poem The Lady of the Lake (of Arthurian legend) which inspired Rossini and Schubert and probably some other Ellens. wikipedia says the the Ku Klux Klan habit of burning crosses derived from this poem.
                              Walter Gieseking's father was a doctor and lepidopterist. Walter's own collection of butterflies etc. is housed in the Wiesbaden Natural History Museum
                              Lancashire lass makes me think of Gracie Fields who firstly married Monty Banks who died on the Orient Express and secondly Boris Alperovici, so no Walters there. She sang about Sally in our alley, which I think relates the story of Sally and Walter. Not too sure about this last bit .................

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

thanks to wikipedia for all information

wish I'd included Violetta and Violet Trefusis in my Vs - too late now.
                              Last edited by mercia; 05-05-11, 08:14.

Comment

'Walter, Walter, lead me to the altar'.

Comment

Working...
                                X