This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Oh, I approached the wrong tree again! Just ignore that last posting. Somehow, I thought we were on to Herds of Elephants!

Wha-a-a-a-a-a-t????
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I thought we were on to Herds of Elephants!
      well we are, herd must be a double clue, because elephants leads to ivory
      so Ebony & Ivory, 1982, Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder

well I now discover that the Concertgebouw had (or has?) an offshoot band called the Ebony Band

phew!!

I think Ofcachap should take that because Woody Herman was the key starting point
      Last edited by mercia; 05-05-11, 18:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Wha-a-a-a-a-a-t????
        All perfectly logical Caliban involving Robert Fripp and Concertgebouw. I shall now retire and prepare my Romano Peppers.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          well we are, herd must be a double clue, because elephants leads to ivory
          so Ebony & Ivory, 1982, Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder

well I now discover that the Concertgebouw had (or has?) an offshoot band called the Ebony Band

phew!!

I think Ofcachap should take that because Woody Herman was the key starting point
          Ebony, correct.

I'm afraid there were no marauding herds of elephants or their tusks:

Stravinsky Ebony Concerto written for Woody Herman and his First Herd band;
          The Ebony Band formed by musicians from the Concertgebouw to perform C20 repertoire;
          Ebony and Ivory performed by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder 1982.

Simples... no?

Mercia deconstructed it after a prompt from Ofca, so you two decide on who sets F.

Comment

Please Ofca, it must be you

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              Please Ofca, it must be you
              I think so as well.

Can I explain why I thought mercia's "Yackety-Yack" led me to elephants? King Crimson, Elephant Talk. verses, choruses and several guitar solos, the latter of which are deliberately played and processed to resemble trumpeting elephants or squeaky mice. Adrian Belew sings five stanzas of humorous lyrics, each one beginning and ending with the phrase "Talk! It's only talk!".

And, I rest me case M'Lud! I plead insanity due to a fertile imagination brought on by this message board.

Comment

Can I explain why I thought mercia's "Yackety-Yack" led me to elephants? King Crimson, Elephant Talk. verses, choruses and several guitar solos, the latter of which are deliberately played and processed to resemble trumpeting elephants or squeaky mice. Adrian Belew sings five stanzas of humorous lyrics, each one beginning and ending with the phrase "Talk! It's only talk!".

And, I rest me case M'Lud! I plead insanity due to a fertile imagination brought on by this message board.
                A most felicitous and engaging argument, and if counsel would like to approach the bench I would like to show my appreciation of her fertility

Comment

should the rest of us turn our backs while this goes on?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                    A most felicitous and engaging argument, and if counsel would like to approach the bench I would like to show my appreciation of her fertility
                    Oh, I say, inee bold, all in his wig and silk. Now, come on Jules, silk's a bit better than lycra innit? Oh, Jules, are you thinking of Gordon in 'is cycling shorts? I've told you before about that and yes, I know he has a flashy Claude Butler but designer labels don't mean that much, do they, Jules? I mean, we've all got Sturmey-Archers if we've a mind to crank up a gear or two. Mmm, Nice.

Comment

I think the author of #5998 did most of the work, and therefore deserves to set 'F'. All of my recent contributions have either involved tidying up afterwards or unconsciously setting cleverer people on the right track. I'm happy with that. This afternoon, I picked up (for only £2) a DVD of Claudio Abbado conducting the Lucerne Festival Orchestra in Mahler's 6th, and the lady wife and I are now going to settle down and watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                        I think the author of #5998 did most of the work, and therefore deserves to set 'F'. All of my recent contributions have either involved tidying up afterwards or unconsciously setting cleverer people on the right track. I'm happy with that. This afternoon, I picked up (for only £2) a DVD of Claudio Abbado conducting the Lucerne Festival Orchestra in Mahler's 6th, and the lady wife and I are now going to settle down and watch it.
                        Ooooh bravo, Ofca!

Was Rob having a rucksack sale?

Are you going to let on where this masterly underpricing took place?

A full report afterwards, svp

EDIT: **wonders if Caliban ever succumbed to the lure of a ticket to see/hear von Otter, Kaufman & ailing Claudio in Das Lied von der Erde? **

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                          This afternoon, I picked up (for only £2) a DVD of Claudio Abbado conducting the Lucerne Festival Orchestra in Mahler's 6th, and the lady wife and I are now going to settle down and watch it.
                          Great bargain, Ofca. Settling down is quite hard with Mahler 6. If Abbado's any cop, the first movement should have you on the edge of your seat, at least. And the cowbell should certainly surprise Mrs O in surround sound!

Comment

Great bargain, Ofca. Settling down is quite hard with Mahler 6. If Abbado's any cop, the first movement should have you on the edge of your seat, at least. And the cowbell should certainly surprise Mrs O in surround sound!
                            The only time I saw von Karajan conduct Mahler symphony no 6 with the BPO, he had the cowbells on a reel-to-reel tape recorder and the hammer blows in the final movement were provided by a golden-haired youth raising a hooooge wooden mallet above his head and bringing it down with an almighty whack (in the non-American sense ) onto a specially carved wooden anvil (I kid you not!). As Cliff Morgan used to say in his international rugby commentaries "here's drama!!"

The first time I saw Claudio conduct it live was with the LSO and some bloke had a decent go at jiggling his cowbells authentically enough but when the hammer blows were pending, I was deeply disappointed to find that he merely raised up a piece of the stage with his hands and used his body weight via his leg to slam it down again

It just wasn't the same

I look forward to a full cowbell/hammer blow report back svp Ofca

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              The only time I saw von Karajan conduct Mahler symphony no 6 with the BPO, he had the cowbells on a reel-to-reel tape recorder
                              Have I not read this before, on the Karajan thread? You disappear all day, Ammy, then troll up and start messing with my head

Comment

Have I not read this before, on the Karajan thread? You disappear all day, Ammy, then troll up and start messing with my head
                                You read about the recorded cow bells before, rubbers but the golden yoof and his hammer is new to these boards

I'm eking out my gems here, tha knows.

That Caliban is copying them all down for the after-dinner circuit he's on, entertaining Rotarians and Zaroastrians or whatever they're called

Comment

Working...
                                X